hullo,
I don't know if anyone else happened to catch that prog documentary on telly a few days ago ("it was called "prog at the BBC I think..."). I happened to notice the "bass" player in King Crimson - who are a band I am otherwise unfamiliar with - was playing this really weird instrument, and it looked like he was tapping (two handed) for most if not all of the song:

does anyone know what it's called etc? I just thought It make interesting conversation, also, does it mean Eddie van halen didn't invent two handed tapping ?
That is a Chapman Stick.

The generously moustachioed gentleman playing it is one Tony Levin. Played in King Crimson, Liquid Tension Experiment, with Peter Gabriel, and a session musician for many other bands including Pink Floyd. Main bass is a MM Stingray 5, and he's a pure tonal genius- on one bass, he dampens the strings with a baby nappy to get a certain sound, and he also modified drumsticks to fit onto his fingers, to get a percussive tone.
ah right, haha I kept typing "chapstick" into google and getting pictures of that stuff you use to stop hacks on your lip!
I always thought Les Claypool was influenced quite a bit by Tony Levin.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
That is a Chapman Stick.

The generously moustachioed gentleman playing it is one Tony Levin. Played in King Crimson, Liquid Tension Experiment, with Peter Gabriel, and a session musician for many other bands including Pink Floyd. Main bass is a MM Stingray 5, and he's a pure tonal genius- on one bass, he dampens the strings with a baby nappy to get a certain sound, and he also modified drumsticks to fit onto his fingers, to get a percussive tone.

Funk fingers?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by jimRH7
ah right, haha I kept typing "chapstick" into google and getting pictures of that stuff you use to stop hacks on your lip!

you mean chapstick?

I missed that programme

Was it anay good?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Levin is wonderful. And you really should check out King Crimson; they have had some amazing prog bass players over the years, along with Levin, Greg Lake and John Wetton also played in Crimson at some point

And yes, Levin is an influence on Claypool. In fact Claypool has covered Thela Hun Ginjeet live; he did a nice heavy version on NYE.
Quote by anarkee
Levin is wonderful. And you really should check out King Crimson; they have had some amazing prog bass players over the years, along with Levin, Greg Lake and John Wetton also played in Crimson at some point

And yes, Levin is an influence on Claypool. In fact Claypool has covered Thela Hun Ginjeet live; he did a nice heavy version on NYE.

Lake as in Emerson, Lake and Palmer?

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Yes. That Greg Lake. He was the bassist and singer on "In the Court of the Crimson King". Or as it was known in my house "the scary face" album. My oldest became enamored of the cover when she was about 3 years old, and used to beg us to play "the scary face" album.

Another name you might recognize is Boz Burrell, who played with Bad Company.