My band are opening for a local band in a pub in a couple weeks. Its a fairly small pub and we're going on fairly early, so I figured we'd be better off playing some well-known, relatively low-energy songs. We're a 3-piece drums/guitar-vocals/bass-vocals band. The pub usually attracts the early 30s-late 40s crowd, but the other band should draw in an early 20s audience. Our current set list is as follows.

Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heart's Club Band - The Beatles
Wayfaring Stranger - Traditional
Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits
With or Without You - U2
Snow - Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Valerie - Zutons/Mark Ronson
Low - Flo Rida
Mr. Brightside - The Killers
Molly's Chambers - Kings of Leon
Fire - Jimi Hendrix

Songs that we're considering but which have been vetoed by various members are:

Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd(too depressing/slow)
Still Take You Home - Arctic Monkeys(too unknown/heavy)
Teenage Kicks - The Undertones(too predictable)
New Years Day - U2(already have a U2 song)

I'd appreciate any comments/recommendations/advice etc. This isn't our first gig but it will be the first gig that we get right
that set list looks pretty good and i wish i could see you do Low. that could be interesting. and if you wanna play a pink floyd song that is still pretty chill but not too depressing or slow then try to learn Money
That's a pretty tight set list. I assume this on a friday/saturday night. You need uplifting song's that people can jig around to if they want.

Do Teenage Kicks, yeah its predictable but audiences LOVE it. How about do 'I bet you look good on the dancefloor' instead of 'Still take you home' its AM's first big song and ive always seen people go nuts when itsplayed so yeah.
The solo's in Sultan of Swing wont sound the same without the second guitarest.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
I'd take out Low - Flo Rida - it simply doesn't suit the rest of the songs. Yeah it's well known but it contrasts too greatly from the other songs.

Put Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd in instead, i reckon it might get the crowd interested. If they know the song, well, what's stopping people singing along?
Known.
Some.
Call.
Is.
Air.
Am?

Now though, I realise what i should have said - in the spirit of the dark; in the spirit of the staircase -
"Known some call is air am."
Which is to say-

"I am not what i used to be"
Much as it hurts me to say it, how about some Oasis? Its a bit cliche but their old stuff normally goes down well in a pub setting.
Looks like a good list, though depending on how you do it, Low - Flo Rida, might not fit the set. Maybe rock it out a little?
Cover some Silvertide, look them up on youtube. Ain't Comin' Home is a fun song, and isn't difficult.
Jesus Christ, what's wrong with you? You replaced Comfortably Numb with Low by florida? Seriously, just quit now because any self respecting band would NEVER do such a thing.
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
Hey all, thanks for your inputs. We've reworked the set and brought in another member to do guitar/additional vocals. Our current set is the following:

New Year's Day - U2
She Loves You - the Beatles
Fire - Jimi Hendrix
Wayfaring Stranger - Traditional
With or Without You - U2

or

New Year's Day - U2
She Loves You - the Beatles
Fire - Jimi Hendrix
With or Without You - U2
I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor - Arctic Monkeys

The reason for the two U2 songs is that the pub owner is a proper U2 nut, and there's a plaque outside it claiming it to be the meetingplace of a U2 fanclub. Would replacing "She Loves You" with "Don't Let Me Down"(Beatles) detract from the setlist?

The main point of contention between us is the last 2 songs. Would it be out of place for the song Wayfaring Stranger, for everyone to stop playing their instruments save one acoustic guitar and sing it, then start playing properly for the next song? Would it be out of place in the set, do ye think? We all sing it very well and it sounds great, but we're not sure if it belongs. Thanks very much if anyone chooses to give us a few pointers.
Last edited by Declan87 at Jan 10, 2009,
Quote by alex0203
BY THE WAY, "Valerie" was made by Amy Winehouse.

Thanks.
No. Amy Winehouse sang the vocal track on Mark Ronsons cover version of The Zutons song.

I think the acoustic one guitar idea would work, subduing the crowd before rocking out to AM.
The Prime Factorisation of the number of the beast : 2x3x3x37
Why the hell is there a rap song in there?
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...