Hey guys I'm long over due for a pair of quality headphones.

I'm a college student, I'm walking all the time, on the train, waiting around for class. I need headphones that have great balanced sound, not retarded bass heavy crap. I really do not like the ear canal headphones, they never stay in and are uncomfortable so unless you know a really good pair don't suggest those. Ear buds, or around ear headphones are fine.

Looking to pay >$100

Thanks.
Shures e5c or e4c, there are no finer headphones(buds)
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Sennheiser are generally pretty good
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
look at Sennheiser stuff. Though if you want seriously good headphones you're looking at at least $150.

and I'll tell you right now, avoid Skullcandy and Bose like the plague.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jan 5, 2009,
thanks guys ill check some of these out.

Comfort is a must for me, but sound quality is very important as well.

I listen to heavy stuff Tool, Protest the Hero, Lamb of God, to lighter stuff like classic rock and Jack Johnson occasionally.
I have a pair of sennheiser HD280 Pro which are fantastic headphones. They're designed for mixing (which is what I got them for ) so they have a very balanced frequency response they're also closed headphones so they isolate outside sound really well. That means you don't have to tun them up so much and therefore not have to damage your hearing.

They're a quality investment and every part is replaceable so if one bit breaks you don't have to buy a whole new pair

The downside is they can get a bit heavy and they press a little against your head which gets slightly uncomfortable if you have them on for long extended periods.
Last edited by rizo299 at Jan 5, 2009,
Quote by wizards?
Don't get skulls... They're terrible and overpriced. I have a pair of bose and I really like them.

the big problem with Bose, is that while they do sound nice to a lot of people, they have a terribly unbalanced frequency response with a really boomy bass that get's really old really fast.

Last.fm
my dad has a pair of quiet comfort 2's they are nice, but are heavy on bass and dont really have the highs that I'd like, unbelievably comfortable though.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
the big problem with Bose, is that while they do sound nice to a lot of people, they have a terribly unbalanced frequency response with a really boomy bass that get's really old really fast.

That tends to happen...
SkullCandy.

There seriosuly awesome, always stay in your ears, are very comfortable, and have good sound.
Not sure if you want that type of headphones though
Quote by Jackolas
Just remember headphones break so don't go overkill on the spending.

Not if you take good care of them, I've been using the same pair of Sony monitoring headphones for about 5 years.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
SkullCandy.

There seriosuly awesome, always stay in your ears, are very comfortable, and have good sound.

NO!

if you want something that sounds like $5 earphones, get $5 earphones.

Last.fm
i dont agree with aversion to skullcandy, the bassbooster is useless but hesh are really quality ****
Quote by GuitarGuy2387
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-MX55-Twist-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B000JLNO3A/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

heh what do you guys think of these? looks like they will stay in, but sound leakage may be a problem.

they're probably decent, but if you want sound quality you should really stay away from earbuds and IEMs.

Quote by VanDutchie
i dont agree with aversion to skullcandy, the bassbooster is useless but hesh are really quality ****

those aren't terrible, but you can do a lot better for the price.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jan 5, 2009,
true, but for walking around in the city and everything, and to constantly be taking them off and storing them, I dont know how practical around ear headphones are.
Quote by GuitarGuy2387
true, but for walking around in the city and everything, and to constantly be taking them off and storing them, I dont know how practical around ear headphones are.

I actually find around ear headphones easier when you have to take them off a lot since you can just put them around your neck. Whereas with earbuds you have to take them out and wrap them around something to keep the cord from getting tangled.

Last.fm
hmmm, also a good point. I dunno, I wanna start watching movies and tv series on my zune so around the ear might be the way to go.

Sennheiser 202's look good.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
they're probably decent, but if you want sound quality you should really stay away from earbuds and IEMs.

those aren't terrible, but you can do a lot better for the price.

I semi-agree. Over ears can sound incredible and blow innies out of the water, if you get the right ones. But can at times be a little im-practical.

I'd recommend CX series Sennheisers, if you want innies. I've had some CX300s for over 6 months now. Still sound great, though they are getting a bit tatty, but I wear them when out riding. So all my gear takes a beating.
Noise cancelling earbuds are what you want, I got a cheap set of sennheisers, ~£40 and they're pretty good

that's if you find buds comfortable to wear

Sennheisers
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Last edited by Bendybaws at Jan 5, 2009,
I cant stand the ones that go in your ear and create that "noise canceling" thing, I hear myself talk in my head, and walking, its just unpleasant, plus the inner ear things just hurt my ears.

I have a pair on now actually lol.
I strongly advice you NOT to get Sennheiser. I've had two pairs and they both broke (I'm very carefull with my stuff). I also have to friends who have had theirs break.

I'd recommend getting Denon, they have great sound, are comfortably and are great quality.
Quote by GuitarGuy2387
I cant stand the ones that go in your ear and create that "noise canceling" thing, I hear myself talk in my head, and walking, its just unpleasant, plus the inner ear things just hurt my ears.

I have a pair on now actually lol.

Then I dunno, I like the noise cancelling ones, especially since I get the bus around town which is noisey as hell. Dangerous for crossing the road though

Try this site, it's a UK site but it might give you some ideas
http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
I think I'm gunna look for a nice pair of around the ear headphones, lol I may look slightly outa place with huge earphones on but w/e the sound will be nice.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
SkullCandy.

+1 I use SkullCandy Earbuds and the sound great.Good isolation,lightweight so you hardly feel them in you're ear's and they sound great.
Who Said Anything About A Signature ? ಠ_ಠ
I use Koss... couldn't stand the iPod ones. Sounds good to me, has got a lot of output.
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

(offboard; Whammy IV, Crybaby 535Q, Digitech RP100A)