I know its the second mode of the major scale, but i'm saying is this one of the ways to play the dorian mode/scale.

Dorian
|R|-|o|o|-|
|o|-|o|o|-|
|o|-|o|-|-|
|o|-|R|-|o|
|o|-|o|-|o|
|R|-|o|o|-|

I've been learning dorian for the last-couple of days, and had some doubts if this is correct or not.
Yes

|R|-|o|o|-|
|o|-|o|o|-|
|o|-|o|-|-|
|o|-|R|-|o|
|o|-|o|-|o|
|R|-|o|o|-|

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
You have the scale right. However, I can't say as much for your grammar.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by Cammeh
I know its the second mode of the major scale, but i'm saying is this one of the ways to play the dorian mode/scale.

Dorian
|R|-|o|o|-|
|o|-|o|o|-|
|o|-|o|-|-|
|o|-|R|-|o|
|o|-|o|-|o|
|R|-|o|o|-|

I've been learning dorian for the last-couple of days, and had some doubts if this is correct or not.

What you need to understand is that the patterns for the Dorian mode are EXACTLY THE SAME as the patterns for the major scale. There's not an awful lot to be gained from learning specific patterns for modes because all you're doing is learning the same thing over and over agian. That shape in isolation isn't automatically the Dorian scale, you also need a sutable backing over which to play it - a static bassline or minor chord of the root are both safe bets...without the correct backing modes don't really exist.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
What you need to understand is that the patterns for the Dorian mode are EXACTLY THE SAME as the patterns for the major scale. There's not an awful lot to be gained from learning specific patterns for modes because all you're doing is learning the same thing over and over agian. That shape in isolation isn't automatically the Dorian scale, you also need a sutable backing over which to play it - a static bassline or minor chord of the root are both safe bets...without the correct backing modes don't really exist.

True, but without a backing "nothing exists".

If you do hear something without a backing, it's based on subconsciously ingrained harmony in ur mind and/or popular conventions in overall western harmony (your mind "makes it up")

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Exactly, however if you take a melody line out of context we've pretty much been conditioned to expect it to resolve the the relative major, and if it doesn't it sounds wrong. If you try to noodle around with a mode with no backing it's damned hard to stop yourself from gravitating back to that relative major root, and the longer the passage the harder it is.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

i find it easier to play the dorian box shape like this

|-|R|-|o|o|
|-|o|-|o|o|
|o|o|-|o|-|
|o|o|-|R|-|
|-|o|-|o|-|
|-|R|-|o|o|

but i usually only use box shapes to warm up my fingers
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Quote by steven seagull
Exactly, however if you take a melody line out of context we've pretty much been conditioned to expect it to resolve the the relative major, and if it doesn't it sounds wrong. If you try to noodle around with a mode with no backing it's damned hard to stop yourself from gravitating back to that relative major root, and the longer the passage the harder it is.

True but 1 note is enough;

And to my ears the pull isn't that strong(anymore) to the major note, due to listening to obscure music

Well I can still hear it's strong, but I put it as "another" thing in my head.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 5, 2009,
I think that definitely helps...getting yourself used to listening to the unconventional to enable yourself to distance yourself from the norm when playing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Yer, being brainwashed by MTV hurts.

If you really wanna go deep, there's a chance even the music you listen that isn't on MTV is there because of MTV.

If you don't like music on MTV, you gonna listen to music that would not be played on MTV, which results in MTV indirectly still controlling what you listen to.

This then ends up in (Atm it's metalcore) People listening that because it's heavier then MTV stuff. Once enough people listen to that, MTV begins airing "metal" bands, and the cycle is complete. That's why MTV can play the most **** music to your ears and still not go out of business.

Not To you Seagull, ur pretty openminded, but alot of people are like that ^

but w/e /rant

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 5, 2009,
Quote by victoryaloy
i find it easier to play the dorian box shape like this

|-|R|-|o|o|
|-|o|-|o|o|
|o|o|-|o|-|
|o|o|-|R|-|
|-|o|-|o|-|
|-|R|-|o|o|

+1

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.