Hi there. In the few years I've played guitar I've never even really given pedals a thought. I recently bought a Wah and I've gotten GAS for more. I'm planning on setting up a small pedal board; not much, but something more.
My question is, what to get? I play metal mostly, from Maiden to Darkthrone and lots in-between.
I was thinking a little bit of Reverb - my amp already has reverb but it's a bit lacking.
Any Reverb suggestions? Preferably cheap, I don't need anything amazing.
Perhaps Chorus as well but I'm open to trying new things.
Another question, at the moment I'm playing Amp > Wah> Guitar - does this stay the same or is there another method? Sorry for all the questions, I know buggar all abut them.
I'll get a power brick type thing as well soon.
Cheers in advance
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Hi there. In the few years I've played guitar I've never even really given pedals a thought. I recently bought a Wah and I've gotten GAS for more. I'm planning on setting up a small pedal board; not much, but something more.
My question is, what to get? I play metal mostly, from Maiden to Darkthrone and lots in-between.
I was thinking a little bit of Reverb - my amp already has reverb but it's a bit lacking.
Any Reverb suggestions? Preferably cheap, I don't need anything amazing.
Perhaps Chorus as well but I'm open to trying new things.
Another question, at the moment I'm playing Amp > Wah> Guitar - does this stay the same or is there another method? Sorry for all the questions, I know buggar all abut them.
I'll get a power brick type thing as well soon.
Cheers in advance

well, first of all, what's your amp?

you could look at getting a nice OD to push your amp some more for solo's and such, and i dont know anything about reverbs, but i've heard that the EHX holy Grail is really good and that the boss reverb is really good.

this is what i would do: go to www.proguitarshop.com, go their video library, and then sift through teh various pedals they have on there. they are mostly boutique pedals so they will be expensive, but they are typically rly good. (to emphasize the fact that i'm not advertising, you typically can find better deals on pedals on other websites than proguitarshop.com)
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
^proguitarshop.com is a good website for reviews. If you want a chorus...I suggest a small clone...not really sure on a reverb pedal though.
well, first of all, what's your amp?

you could look at getting a nice OD to push your amp some more for solo's and such, and i dont know anything about reverbs, but i've heard that the EHX holy Grail is really good and that the boss reverb is really good.

this is what i would do: go to www.proguitarshop.com, go their video library, and then sift through teh various pedals they have on there. they are mostly boutique pedals so they will be expensive, but they are typically rly good. (to emphasize the fact that i'm not advertising, you typically can find better deals on pedals on other websites than proguitarshop.com)

EHX holy grail is brilliant, as for chorus Id recomend an ehx small clone but if its to steep try a boss chorus.

As for the order of the pedals just keep choping and chaging the order untill you get a sound you like.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Pedals that have done a lot for me have been my tubescreamer to push my blues jr., my wah, and my line 6 park echo (delay)....I'd go for a distortion or Overdrive first though
I just got a Crunchbox , really hope thats the big distortion im lookin for
listen to demos on youtube though and find what you're lookin for, and dont be afraid to pay pretty good money, cause a lot of cheap pedals you'll hate after a bit cause of noise or muddiness
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Thanks for the advice, definitely checking out the EHX Holy Grail.

Do I still go from my amp's input to a pedal, daisy chain them then have the guitar coming from the last pedal?

As for my amp, I currently have this White Horse,
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/White-Horse-60W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-and4x8-Cab/8A8
It has a pretty nice distortion channel and it's cheap as chips. Gear4Music's own brand of amps, pretty recent. Further down the line I'll be aiming for a 6505 but this is impressing me just now as it is.
What are the effects loop send and return inputs at the back for?
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by nemjeff13
Pedals that have done a lot for me have been my tubescreamer to push my blues jr., my wah, and my line 6 park echo (delay)....I'd go for a distortion or Overdrive first though
I just got a Crunchbox , really hope thats the big distortion im lookin for
listen to demos on youtube though and find what you're lookin for, and dont be afraid to pay pretty good money, cause a lot of cheap pedals you'll hate after a bit cause of noise or muddiness

not to try to steal the thread, but dude, you will not be disappointed with the Crunchbox. it is BIG. it takes a while to get the sucker set-up right, but once you get a feel of how the Tone interacts with the rest of the pedal you will be very happy.

however, at low gain settings the Crunchbox is not my cup o' tea. just make sure you keep the gain about 9o'clock
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by Cobain_Is_King

The effects loop bypasses the preamp. Some effects, like your wah for example, are usually placed in front of the preamp in the signal chain (so, like your setup: guitar > wah > amp's front input).

Some other effects, however, especially modulation effects like chorus and reverb, are usually placed right AFTER the preamp. That's what the effects loop send and return jacks are for. When you get your reverb pedal, for example, you plug a cable from the effects send to the reverb pedal, and from the pedal to the effects return. That way, the reverb effect will be placed AFTER the preamp in the signal chain.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Thanks for the advice, definitely checking out the EHX Holy Grail.

Do I still go from my amp's input to a pedal, daisy chain them then have the guitar coming from the last pedal?

As for my amp, I currently have this White Horse,
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/White-Horse-60W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-and4x8-Cab/8A8
It has a pretty nice distortion channel and it's cheap as chips. Gear4Music's own brand of amps, pretty recent. Further down the line I'll be aiming for a 6505 but this is impressing me just now as it is.

First question: yes, that's basically it.

Second question: it's for modulation/delay pedals. for instance, you can put a chorus on there. it puts it in right after the preamp to allow it to better affect the signal. you dont have to use it, tho, in fact, almost no one i know uses it
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by WtrPlyr
I always say, if you don't know what you need, don't get it. If you don't know what kind of effect you'd want, don't get any.

True. But he can gather some info, then go try some of our suggestions himself, and THEN decide if he wants to get one of them, right? We're only here to help...
Quote by WtrPlyr
I always say, if you don't know what you need, don't get it. If you don't know what kind of effect you'd want, don't get any.

Very helpful there.

I'm asking people to recommend me a reverb pedal, and possibly a chorus as well. I also said I was open to other suggestions, I didn't say I didn't know what I wanted. Everyone has to start somewhere.

There's no Holy Grail's on Ebay, looking around though I can see a few for like £70-£90, not bad.

Edit:
Quote by nightraven
i wouldn't go for the holy grail, the line6 verb zilla is a great reverb, as is the t-rex room mate.

How does the Verb Zilla compare to other Line 6 Reverbs? I will never forget the shrill sound of the Spider's sick reverb
RULE BRITANNIA
Last edited by Cobain_Is_King at Jan 5, 2009,
Quote by nightraven
don't get prejudiced
you can get various types of reverbs and control them all, and although it's got the most hideous enclosure i've ever seen, it does sound pretty good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRQ9U1abhd8

Aye I'm kidding Definitely look into that as well. Looking at them I got confused; I assume you can buy the casing and buy separate modules and interchange them?
RULE BRITANNIA
since you like 90s black metal I'd suggest DOD Metal Master. Euronymous used the pedal a great deal. It'd be safe bet that Varg used it too since he didn't have a lot of gear to his name, and used to borrow basses, drum kits, pedals, mics, etc. I can get a good old school black metal sound of it (Mayhem "Deathcrush" era, Burzum s/t, Aske, Darkthrone)

I'd imagine most of them used it at some time, since they all hung around together
Quote by nightraven
what d'you mean? you buy this pedal and it has all the modes built in

no, he means that you can buy the seperate modules of different effects and mix them in an out.

and yes, i'm pretty sure that you can do that on the new line 6 stuff

EDIT ok so maybe i posted that a bit late?
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
The problem with the Line 6 would be of course if you planned on using more than one, you'd need more cases, swapping out modules isn't exactly ideal in that instance. You're right, it isn't the most pleasing to look at haha.

I'll have a look at the metal master as well, but to be honest I'm happy with my amp's gain, it has quite a lot (rather surprisingly)
RULE BRITANNIA
Last edited by Cobain_Is_King at Jan 6, 2009,
I've been looking at the Digitech X-Series Digiverb and it's getting a lot of praise - anyone have experience with it?
RULE BRITANNIA
i have no clue about that pedal, but i've liked the the digitech pedals that i have used before if that helps any...
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
on another note....is this you?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4bcHPdwyYs

lol i was looking for videos of the amp that you have and i found this video. the guy is playing the same guitar that you have (i think)
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
It sure is me, don't make too much fun

I've got a winning bid on eBay so far on a Holy Grail but I don't expect to win. X-series Digiverb might be taken into consideration if I lose.
RULE BRITANNIA
^that's pretty good Cobain

so you like your new amp?

lol at the poster - you really are a scarface fan huh? I've got that movie on 2 different DVDs and i've got the video game. Sorry I can't help with your pedal question.

Also, is that a yamaha acoustic? Looks just like mine. Tnx for the VK suggestion today even tho the amp didn't work out for you.

Aye Scarface is quality

Hopefully sort out my tone and get some new clips up, stopped playing for a while.

It's actually a Leonora acoustic, first guitar I got (so hard to learn on!)

The guy asked for an amp for rock/sludge rock, Valveking is perfect for that. I'll only warn people away if they expect instant insane metal tones from it
RULE BRITANNIA
The holy grail is immense, GAS'ing for one myself, the digiverb is pretty good aswell, if you want to go really cheap, there is also the Behringer for really cheap, i don't personally reccomend them but it does the job i guess. Have a look out for the rocktron rectified distortion, it's damn brootal fro the money, don't know to much about chrous though, not for me.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Yeah, reverb will get you reallll sludgy tones with your amp im guessing.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.