Page 2 of 45
Quote by krazydrummer
by the way. my band plays shows and we all like to move and have fun. including me of course but everytime i do i start making more mistakes. especially a traditional headbang and some good ol slow gallops (chug stuff per say). should i ancor in some kinda way? i know it takes practice but anyone with some tips would help me out

I think it's just practice, I wouldn't anchor - you'd just have to unlearn it at some stage anyway.

Though, as edg was talking about, my pinky kind of gets in the way when I'm playing pentatonic type stuff. I can't really apply vibrato or bend with my third finger unless my pinky is somewhere off the fretboard. Does this make sense? Is it something I can work through?

It makes sense and it's pretty much impossible to work through, although the effects will lessen as your fingers get stronger. Basically the sheer physical effort exerted through the shared 3/4 tendon will cause the 4th finger to curl up during bends or vibrato, it's just a given. Course, you could learn to apply a good vibrato through your 4th finger and then at least it would be on the fretboard if you needed it.
FP! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALP!

Seriously though, this vid's a bit rough but I'd be glad of ANY pointers the learned people of the forum might have.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PqEwCAa2FM8

Edit: I might try and get a better vid recorded over the next couple of days, especially if you guys want it to get a better idea of my playing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jan 16, 2009,
Your playing was ok from I could see but...

1.You only played with distortion
2. The sound quality wasn't brilliant
3.You were pretty far away from the camera
7.Nice 7 string
8. playing specific things that give you problems would be good too
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
Quote by public property
Your playing was ok from I could see but...

1.You only played with distortion
2. The sound quality wasn't brilliant
3.You were pretty far away from the camera
7.Nice 7 string
8. playing specific things that give you problems would be good too

Yeah, nothing about the video itself really helped my case but I didn't originally record it to show off my chops anyway; I just thought that seeing as how it's a pretty recent showing of my technical playing I'd see what people have to say in general, I'm not looking for any specific help.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Yeah, nothing about the video itself really helped my case but I didn't originally record it to show off my chops anyway; I just thought that seeing as how it's a pretty recent showing of my technical playing I'd see what people have to say in general, I'm not looking for any specific help.

I thought it was pretty good. It's neat enough. I would just say try and make the right hand a bit more economical if you can, that will probably help you sound tighter. But, even if you don't you're still really good.

I must really try and get my hands on a video camera..
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Seriously though, this vid's a bit rough but I'd be glad of ANY pointers the learned people of the forum might have.

Edit: I might try and get a better vid recorded over the next couple of days, especially if you guys want it to get a better idea of my playing.

Okay, right hands pretty good except that at times you're letting a bit too much string noise through.

First few sweeps were terrible but last few were pretty good, no idea why, perhaps you loosened up as you played.

The major thing I noticed was that your vibrato was fast and narrow in range, which made a lot of your held notes seem shrill and hurried. Take time to work on your vibrato!

Overall, it's not missing much, but you need to tighten the screws and polish it.
Quote by Freepower
Okay, right hands pretty good except that at times you're letting a bit too much string noise through.

First few sweeps were terrible but last few were pretty good, no idea why, perhaps you loosened up as you played.

The major thing I noticed was that your vibrato was fast and narrow in range, which made a lot of your held notes seem shrill and hurried. Take time to work on your vibrato!

Overall, it's not missing much, but you need to tighten the screws and polish it.

I really need to learn to articulate my sentences better. This is what i meant! It looks like your right hand comes too far off the strings. Look at how Paul Gilbert's picking hand stays close and tight, i think that could help restrict noise from strings.
Freepower I got a question for you, I've noticed you have a video concerning left and right hand technique and I'm wondering about something. Your right hand thumb is used to mute the lower strings(lower sounding that is, I think in tone not in actual height).

This muting is creating friction wich should decrease the maximum speed you could achieve, this however is still not the question. When you talk about anchoring you mention this exact same thing and say it's a bad thing.
Now the right hand muting isn't really wrong since it won't mess up your technique, it will influence your technique and if you're not carefull you'll get used to slightly pushing your hand to the strings(wich again would be anchoring). Though the trick works, it's still something I can't agree with so I'm trying to work around it. Got any light to shed upon this? Cause I find it quite amusing/confusing.

Also on topic (at least a bit more). If any of you have questions about your technique and it feels wrong search around a bit so I can give you a good scare about what wrong technique will actually do to your body(should be some of my posts floating about here).
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Well, basically, anchoring is being fixed to a point - which my thumb isn't (pretty hard to pick like that, lol). Secondly, friction is always bad, but if you want to play electric guitar, you're going to have to mute unwanted strings ringing or everything will sound terribly messy - muting is much more important than the tiny amount of friction that muting creates if done lightly.
So you're pretty much picking the lesser of 2 evils. I figured as much, I'm trying to figure out a way around it I'll let you know if I ever find out if there is one(wich I doubt).
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by FretboardToAsh
So you're pretty much picking the lesser of 2 evils. I figured as much, I'm trying to figure out a way around it I'll let you know if I ever find out if there is one(wich I doubt).

The idea is more to develop your muting so that the amount of friction it creates is basically negligible; your thumb shouldn't be resting on the strings with much force at all.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Freepower halp pls!

I dunno if I've linked it right, so apologies if I haven't...I don't have video either, just audacity and a lead from my guitar to my poor little laptop...sorry

Basically I suck, so be warned your ears might not like this...but the thing that is really driving me nuts is trying to vibrato when I'm bending - it just goes horribly out of tune and sounds ...well... not good How do I go about starting to sort it out? please?

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/zhilla/music/all/play529971
Quote by zhilla
Freepower halp pls!

I dunno if I've linked it right, so apologies if I haven't...I don't have video either, just audacity and a lead from my guitar to my poor little laptop...sorry

Basically I suck, so be warned your ears might not like this...but the thing that is really driving me nuts is trying to vibrato when I'm bending - it just goes horribly out of tune and sounds ...well... not good How do I go about starting to sort it out? please?

I know what you mean and the key to getting good vibrato on bends is to return to the same pitch after each bend; even and consistent bends are the key.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Thanks Zaphod, so...when you're holding a bend...does the vibrato bend it up or down? Cos I've been trying to just relax my wrist a bit so I can relax the bend to vibrato - if that makes sense, but it seems backwards as for any straight note the vibrato would bend it up slightly?

If I try and practice vibrato really slowly will it eventually work when I let it go naturally? When I try to slow it down at the moment it just feels forced :/
Quote by zhilla
Thanks Zaphod, so...when you're holding a bend...does the vibrato bend it up or down? Cos I've been trying to just relax my wrist a bit so I can relax the bend to vibrato - if that makes sense, but it seems backwards as for any straight note the vibrato would bend it up slightly?

If I try and practice vibrato really slowly will it eventually work when I let it go naturally? When I try to slow it down at the moment it just feels forced :/

Usually you'd relax the bend for vibrato on a bent note, you could bend it more but it's a relatively large amount of effort...

To be honest I'm not sure how well the old "slow down" motto works here, I think the best thing to do would be to just listen VERY carefully to what you're doing and make sure you correct yourself if you notice you're going even slightly wrong.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by zhilla
Freepower halp pls!

For various reasons I can't actually listen to this right now, but my guess is that you're probably using either too few fingers to support the bend (ie, use fingers 1, 2 and 3 to support a note held with 3) and/or you're trying to push with your fingers. Bending strings with control takes a fair degree of power, which you can't really generate by pushing up with your fingers. What you do is you turn your wrist, using your thumb as a pivot on top of the neck - imagine turning a doorknob with your left hand - that's pretty much exactly the motion used.

Secondly, as goes listening and pitch, etc - bend to exactly the target note. Hold it for a second - a lot of people disguise their poor sense of pitch by starting the vibrato as soon as they feel "near" the target note.

Then, from there, bend the note up a semitone from the target note, and then down a semitone from the target note, smoothly alternating between the two.

That's actually really tricky, listening carefully and plenty of practice to develop hand strength and callouses will help lots.
Quote by griffRG7321
Just recorded this and wondered if my picking technique is up to scratch or if i need to change anything about it.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=E7TJeS2_-ds&feature=channel_page

excuse lame improv

Less effects on the video man, I can't make out what's going on clearly enough...

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Less effects on the video man, I can't make out what's going on clearly enough...

yeah soz about that i forgot to change the settings before i video'd it.
Quote by griffRG7321
Just recorded this and wondered if my picking technique is up to scratch or if i need to change anything about it.

excuse lame improv

You need to improve timing and dynamics.

You don't play with enough conviction it sounds in places like you're searching for notes rather then playing it if you mean it.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
You need to improve timing and dynamics.

You don't play with enough conviction it sounds in places like you're searching for notes rather then playing it if you mean it.

Thanks, i'll work on those

and yeah i know what you mean, and tbh i'm not all that familar with Bbm around my fretboard
Quote by griffRG7321

excuse lame improv
I'd just like to say that your guitar is sexy as sh*t.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by griffRG7321
Thanks, i'll work on those

and yeah i know what you mean, and tbh i'm not all that familar with Bbm around my fretboard

Yer, I don't wanna be a dick, but honesty pays best in the end, even if it sounds harsh now.

Understand what I mean?

I don't have any substantial tips for this, other then exaggerate ur bend and vibrato's, and then toning it down to something more "mature".

Like Ramm said^^ nice guitar

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 29, 2009,
Quote by the white baron
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bKCxZMvNog

Feedback is appreciated
I wish I could have used something better than my built-in webcam but that was all I had so the video might not be perfect, but neither is my playing

String noise muting is good.
Timing is good
Technique is good, you use all ur fingers looks good.
Sweeps are good going (a little bit cleaner, but maybe it's because of the guitar)
String skipping good.

What to work on, is dynamics.

I'd love to hear some vibrato's and muting stuff and downpicking stuff (unless ur not in that kind of stuff), but Vibrato is important, so get that up if you have the time.

Oh, what I mean by good is that you "understand" what ur doing. Your aware of ur playing.

I personally thought a few of the faster runs were a little to fast and had impact on ur accuracy.

I rate someone's understanding of what he does, if you can only do 3 string sweeps but you do em clean ur still good, the rest is horizontal growth.

Love the thumb up at the end.

If you can get more dynamics overall in ur playing and vid of a few vibrato's is the only thing. This will have major impact in how ur other techniques comes across.

You did a Legato run as well, could be smoother, but maybe it's smooth and it's because of ur guitar, so you get that 1. I think it's good though, just a matter of finger strenght building which comes on it's own.

well done

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 29, 2009,
I got two video (for now >> that need analyzing. Here is numero uno:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_LrfjlmT4c
I pretty much want to know about my picking technique, but nit-pick to hell please :]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvpwj1xazrs
This one is pretty much all sweeps. I want to know what I can do to improve them, how good they are now. And, again, nit-pick all you want :]

If you can guess the songs I played 1000 e-cookies to you.
Vid 1.

Very large movements with the picking hand, tension in the right pinky that needs to get sorted out. Nervous sounding vibrato. Overall, no sense of confident timing till the metal riffs come in, but they could still sound a bit tighter imo. All the fast stuff around 2:10 is complete slop and you shouldn't bother trying to play this fast yet, you just don't have the accuracy or dynamic control yet.

Vid 2.

You just need to develop your ears, you're missing or half-hitting so many of the notes during the "fast run", and you obviously can't hear it. Your fingers also aren't fretting and defretting neatly enough and the notes ring into each other even on your "slow" example.

Posture's not bad, btw.
Quote by Freepower
Vid 1.

Very large movements with the picking hand, tension in the right pinky that needs to get sorted out. Nervous sounding vibrato. Overall, no sense of confident timing till the metal riffs come in, but they could still sound a bit tighter imo. All the fast stuff around 2:10 is complete slop and you shouldn't bother trying to play this fast yet, you just don't have the accuracy or dynamic control yet.

Vid 2.

You just need to develop your ears, you're missing or half-hitting so many of the notes during the "fast run", and you obviously can't hear it. Your fingers also aren't fretting and defretting neatly enough and the notes ring into each other even on your "slow" example.

Posture's not bad, btw.

Haha yeah about the pinky... I don't really know what to do with my right hand pinky. I don't want it on the body, cause i've read that's anchoring. I've been working on my posture alot so that's good :]

I wasn't really sure what to play until the metal riff comes in. And I just played as fast as I could cause that's what the first post asked I should try playing things slower until I get them down perfect... but I always get bored with it at that point... I should work on that. And the vibrato... I need to work on that too. I've had other people tell me that too, but I don't know what to do to change it.

I could tell the half-hitting. You can hear the little 'screech' that comes along with that. And I know about that on the slow example. I played it with a little too much distortion... How could I go about fixing the fretting and defretting problem?
Haha yeah about the pinky... I don't really know what to do with my right hand pinky.

Relax it completely and see what happens.

And the vibrato... I need to work on that too. I've had other people tell me that too, but I don't know what to do to change it.

Slow it down, widen it. You need to sound like your in complete control of its pitch and speed, check the sticky.

How could I go about fixing the fretting and defretting problem?

Check my finger independence vid on youtube.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Work on your vibrato. A lot. It's hideous, at least when compared to your other playing. Some sweeps in the beginning were sloppy as mentioned. Other than that, try to connect your licks better. It sounded like you had learned a couple of exercises but didn't really know what you were doing with them. :cheers.
Here!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Scowmoo

I'm currently stuck on a plateau, and can't seem to improve. I'm thinking it may be my technique..so..yeah XD

Sorry the sound quality is so bad >.>

NOTE: These videos were not originally recorded for advice, they were more of a "I'm bored, ooh look a camera! oh look youtube! kinda thing."

So, yeah.

Quote by Saint78
Jackal is like 90.

Quote by Jackal58
Buy stock in Viagra. Imma gonna fuck you in the ass.
Last edited by Scowmoo at Feb 10, 2009,
^ I dunno but your name is really badass...Tyler is some pretty brilliant sh*t.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
Quote by ramm_ty
^ I dunno but your name is really badass...Tyler is some pretty brilliant sh*t.

How so? O_o

Quote by Saint78
Jackal is like 90.

Quote by Jackal58
Buy stock in Viagra. Imma gonna fuck you in the ass.
Quote by Stratwizard
Work on your vibrato. A lot. It's hideous, at least when compared to your other playing. Some sweeps in the beginning were sloppy as mentioned. Other than that, try to connect your licks better. It sounded like you had learned a couple of exercises but didn't really know what you were doing with them. :cheers.

Yeah, I know it's very disjointed but as far as I'm concerned that's possibly the most major symptom of having no backing to work with.

What would you personally say I should do about my vibrato though? Wider? Slower?

I might record some more this weekend if I can get decent tone out of the gear I currently have; my Laney's in the shop being repaired

Scowmoo: You need to release your anchor, it's ok at the moment but I think the second you try to build any real speed it'll only hold you back because it's so heavy...

More than that you need some confidence in what you do; you can hear the uncertainty in your playing a mile off.

Other than those you're still a relative beginner so I'll just say practice everything more.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Scowmoo
How so? O_o
Cause it's my name too.
Quote by TGautier13
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Yeah, I know it's very disjointed but as far as I'm concerned that's possibly the most major symptom of having no backing to work with.

What would you personally say I should do about my vibrato though? Wider? Slower?

I might record some more this weekend if I can get decent tone out of the gear I currently have; my Laney's in the shop being repaired

Scowmoo: You need to release your anchor, it's ok at the moment but I think the second you try to build any real speed it'll only hold you back because it's so heavy...

More than that you need some confidence in what you do; you can hear the uncertainty in your playing a mile off.

Other than those you're still a relative beginner so I'll just say practice everything more.

awareness.

/

You must "sing" with the track.

Obviously if you play over a slow blues jam track, and pull out a "Zakk wylde" Vibrato, then most likeyl people will feel you have no control, cause it doesn't quite "fit".

There is not 1 vibrato that works for all. Although you could limit too this, ur good when you have pure control over it.

Another thing which is a leap forward, is not to do an immediate vibrato. It's stale and obvious.

Try too land on a note and start the vibrato like a half note later, that way it sounds more natural. I like to bend slow and at the top of the bend pull out a vibrato, which is imo killer too.

I usually start my vibrato's at the break up between the note itself and the feedbackish harmonic.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Yeah, but if you watch, for example, Gilbert's live solos you can hear him "connecting" the licks even without a backing track. Of course that requires you rehearsing some parts of the solo beforehand. Your technique is not just how fast you can play or how clean your alternate picking is, being able to play coherent solos is part of it too.

More control. If it's always slow and wide, it's boring. You need to be able to adjust it to all contexts. I mean, listen to Hammett; his vibrato suits some songs but then again, on others it sounds totally out of place. Control is where it's at.

Man, I know the feeling. I just changed the preamp tubes to my GH50L and it sounds pretty awesome now.