Page 3 of 45
Looks pretty good to me to be honest: relaxed small movements and good posture but I think we need to see you pushing yourself a little more. Put more speed on it and see what you're like under stress because good technique at a slow speed is easy.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Looks pretty good to me to be honest: relaxed small movements and good posture but I think we need to see you pushing yourself a little more. Put more speed on it and see what you're like under stress because good technique at a slow speed is easy.

Ok, I'll push it a little nex time. Bear in mind, pushing it for me will be like...100bpm(ish)

Thanks, by the way! I'm glad to hear that I have good technique, if only at a slow speed.

EDIT: Generally, it's difficult for me to go much faster. For some reason, I fail to break the 80bpm mark cleanly. I'll give it a go at 100bpm w/ metronome.
Last edited by The.new.guy at Feb 22, 2009,
Quote by The.new.guy
Ok, I'll push it a little nex time. Bear in mind, pushing it for me will be like...100bpm(ish)

Thanks, by the way! I'm glad to hear that I have good technique, if only at a slow speed.

EDIT: Generally, it's difficult for me to go much faster. For some reason, I fail to break the 80bpm mark cleanly. I'll give it a go at 100bpm w/ metronome.

Try this lesson:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/correct_practice/how_to_increase_speed_using_your_practice_time_and_a_metronome.html

I increased from 60bpm to 114bpm my first day.

85bpm (my starting bpm) to 118bpm the second day.

And today I've gone from 104bpm to 122bpm.

I'm using different scales and patterns to ensure that its accuracy, not just muscle memory.

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
Quote by Invokke_Havokk
Try this lesson:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/correct_practice/how_to_increase_speed_using_your_practice_time_and_a_metronome.html

I increased from 60bpm to 114bpm my first day.

85bpm (my starting bpm) to 118bpm the second day.

And today I've gone from 104bpm to 122bpm.

I'm using different scales and patterns to ensure that its accuracy, not just muscle memory.

I'll check that out. Right now, though, muting unwanted string noise is giving me hell, so this might have to wait.
Quote by Freepower
Mr Cucumber as in Shawnlaneonspeed Paus?

That track still kicking around?

Yup, Marcus is god!
Quote by The.new.guy
I'll check that out. Right now, though, muting unwanted string noise is giving me hell, so this might have to wait.

Do you mean like in strumming

(eg; the below)

e--------------
B--------------
G--------------
D----4-----4---
A----x-----x---
E----2-----2---

Or do you mean muting a note after you hit it?

Here's my video. It's just alternate picking scale patterns from Intense Rock I. I forgot to do it in a slow tempo. It's just a whim recording, so I'll re-record it and upload it later. The tempo is 128 BPM in 8th note triplets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=889C857ClgQ

Thanks for the commentary and crit.

Sorry for the lame lighting. I'll turn on the lights next time.
-When you have eliminated all which is impossible,then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth

-PRS Tremonti SE with SD SH-1 '59 (Neck) and SD Distortion (Bridge)

-Schecter C-1 Elite

-Line 6 PODXT

-Floorboard
Where'd everyone go?
-When you have eliminated all which is impossible,then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth

-Schecter C-1 Elite

-Line 6 PODXT

-Floorboard
Quote by The.new.guy
I mean keeping strings from ringing out.

So muting it after you strum it? lol be more specific.

(you would just slightly touch the string ringing, to mute it. )

Thanks. I'll try harder. I'll upload a better one. the old one's lighting is crappy. Btw, that's the fastest i could with alternate picking. After recording that i could not play at that speed anymore. Strange, because I've been playing at that speed for almost a week and the I suddenly couldnt keep up. Any advice.

-Schecter C-1 Elite

-Line 6 PODXT

-Floorboard
Quote by gflip69
Here's my video. It's just alternate picking scale patterns from Intense Rock I. I forgot to do it in a slow tempo. It's just a whim recording, so I'll re-record it and upload it later. The tempo is 128 BPM in 8th note triplets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=889C857ClgQ

Thanks for the commentary and crit.

Sorry for the lame lighting. I'll turn on the lights next time.

Dynamics are good you are aware of them.
"tone control" notes are even in sound.
Tempo is perfect in time everything.

Only "Flaw" yes, my ear is bitchin' ;
at 0:04 there's a string faintly ring probably cause by rubbing ur right hand palm against a/the string(s)

This also happens at 0:28, 0:37, 0:54, 1:08, 1:20, 1:30 and 1:42

Almost sound like a light ringing harmonic overtone.

But don't worry about those, they are not noticeable to most, and will probably disappear naturally, cause ur aware of stopping strings from ringing.

All in all, it's perfect, nothing wrong really, keep it up like that

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 28, 2009,
Thanks. I'll try to note and correct my flaws.

-Schecter C-1 Elite

-Line 6 PODXT

-Floorboard
Quote by Invokke_Havokk
So muting it after you strum it? lol be more specific.

(you would just slightly touch the string ringing, to mute it. )

Yes, muting it after I strum it.

I know I am supposed to lightly touch it. My problem is I can't find a very comfortable position.
I might just post a video of me playing...

Anything specific I would want to record to make it easier for you guys to see bad stuff??
Quote by aZu

Anything specific I would want to record to make it easier for you guys to see bad stuff??

IT depends what you think needs work.

-Play without a backing track, which gives the clearest sound for us to check so it doesn't distract.

Playing with a metronome click is nice too.

You can play clean or overdrive, that doesn't matter, as long as you don't play with gain on 5000, cause that would distract also.

Hands in view to check for any excess movement and/or muting problems.

You can employ different techniques, like you can record something of you playing picking runs/legato/tapping/sweep etc.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx

-Play without a backing track, which gives the clearest sound for us to check so it doesn't distract.

I disagree. With the backing track it's easier to judge phrasing and how he can incorporate his fast licks into his playing.
Quote by Stratwizard
I disagree. With the backing track it's easier to judge phrasing and how he can incorporate his fast licks into his playing.

True, but this is purely technique based, not musical stylistic "righteousness"

Although it's obviously related. It's such a big issues to cover in a post.

And 1 clip isn't enough, you need multiple clips to see how the person's general approach is.

If the person can phrase wonderful in blues, we still don't know his approach to a major song.

I know people who can phrase very nice, but when there's a progression containing only major chords, alot of people do blues bends, and although with the pentatonic it does kinda "Work" it really isn't expanding on the track.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 1, 2009,
I'm not at all that good.. I've been playing for roughly 8 months, but I've had a lot of trouble finding out how and what to practice, this was where I'd hope for you to help me.. And i still don't really know any song fully, except for silent night, and some chord strumming ones.

I don't really play fast yet, as I've read, that its better to practice slow, but right.

Also, I've had some wrist problems today, so I probably won't record till tomorrow.. But I think my posture might be bad
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Dynamics are good you are aware of them.
"tone control" notes are even in sound.
Tempo is perfect in time everything.

Only "Flaw" yes, my ear is bitchin' ;
at 0:04 there's a string faintly ring probably cause by rubbing ur right hand palm against a/the string(s)

This also happens at 0:28, 0:37, 0:54, 1:08, 1:20, 1:30 and 1:42

Almost sound like a light ringing harmonic overtone.

But don't worry about those, they are not noticeable to most, and will probably disappear naturally, cause ur aware of stopping strings from ringing.

All in all, it's perfect, nothing wrong really, keep it up like that

Just one question. Is there excess movements in both my hands? If so is there so much or is it passable? Thanks

-Schecter C-1 Elite

-Line 6 PODXT

-Floorboard
Definately passable, good solid picking tone as well, which is very important.

Quote by aZu

See first post.
Quote by Freepower
Definately passable, good solid picking tone as well, which is very important.

See first post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPfsmd3frqs

It's just me running through an A Harmonic Minor lick, see if you can see any flaw in my technique please.

I recorded it a few months ago, so it might be a bit sloppy.
Last edited by Orbit91 at Mar 2, 2009,
Quote by Orbit91
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPfsmd3frqs

It's just me running through an A Harmonic Minor lick, see if you can see any flaw in my technique please.

I recorded it a few months ago, so it might be a bit sloppy.

You're born in '91 yet it says in the vid description that you recorded the lick in '89.
Quote by Stratwizard
You're born in '91 yet it says in the vid description that you recorded the lick in '89.

My skills transcend the space/time continuum
Quote by gflip69
Just one question. Is there excess movements in both my hands? If so is there so much or is it passable? Thanks

nope it's all good.

If there's excess movement usually you can hear that back in the non-continuity in dynamics in ur playing, like notes sounding uneven slightly in tempo and volume in a straight picking run.

This is due to you hit the string from a bigger distance resulting in faster runs sounding a bit out of time and louder or softer dynamically due to the exponentiate of speed.

I sometimes fall in this "bad" habit due to my energy of using a "strum" to bash single notes out of my guitar

Ur good to go

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 2, 2009,
Thanks Freepower and xxdarrenxx. Keep it up okay. I think this helps a lot.

-Schecter C-1 Elite

-Line 6 PODXT

-Floorboard
Quote by Freepower
Holy ****! I don't know what's more impressive, your ability to mute unwanted strings throughout, or your godly vibrato.

Thanks dude, I alternate pick my arpeggios because sweeping is for n00bs.
So is phrasing and dynamics
Quote by Orbit91
Thanks dude, I alternate pick my arpeggios because sweeping is for n00bs.
So is phrasing and dynamics

I do the same, unless it's a short sequence or leading up to a note. Like a "better" rake like sweep.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx

I do the same, unless it's a short sequence or leading up to a note. Like a "better" rake like sweep.

It's not really my video, but I do alternate pick all my arps
Quote by Stratwizard
Wha?

It's some massive idiot from a bunch of forums that me and FP know