Page 4 of 45
Sadly I'm still having problems with my left wrist, actually they've gotten worse
It doesn't really "hurt", its more some kind of a burning feeling that i get right in the middle of my wrist

I have watched FP's posture video, but I really have trouble finding a position where i don't bend my wrist, and if I find one, I can't reach the lower strings, or have trouble getting my index flat to mute strings, especially on powerchords. I have tried with my guitar on left leg, but I really don't like that.

Also I find i have trouble playing without tensing up the wrist, especially on pull offs on hammer ons, where i feel I use wrist power instead of finger strength.

I don't have any troubles with my right hands though.
a decent to good quality video of ur left hand would help.

It could also be that you don't have the strength yet in ur left hand fingers, so they have to "work to hard" which is perfectly normal.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXZbgWXyLgM

It may look like I'm straining my hand, I'm just patheticly skinny. Doesn't feel strained at all, and it never hurts.

Just critique how poorly I play. I should stop being a theory nut and practice..

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
this thread was a great idea I'll upload a vid tomorrow

although...this is in the advanced techniques section and most of these kids are beginners...kind of wish this was more geared to legitimate discussion amount equals.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Last edited by nvranka at Mar 19, 2009,
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Sorry to be lazy, but I recorded them separately. There are some scale things, some improvs (which is my strong point), and two covers. I've been playing two years, so be gentle :P
Quote by gabcd86
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Sorry to be lazy, but I recorded them separately. There are some scale things, some improvs (which is my strong point), and two covers. I've been playing two years, so be gentle :P
I think you might have used the wrong link.....this one looks like its to your account....
Quote by zhilla
I think you might have used the wrong link.....this one looks like its to your account....

Yeah, it's either that, or I paste five different ones with no idea which is which. If y'all prefer, I can do it that way
Quote by gabcd86
Yeah, it's either that, or I paste five different ones with no idea which is which. If y'all prefer, I can do it that way
I couldn't get into it through the current link - it was asking for account details, I dunno if I could have got to it if I had a youtube account...not that it would help you much if I did mind, I'm just learning to improvise myself and wanted to check yours out I'm not good enough to give any constructive criticism yet :/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaZYZz8ejNg

Try this, this was my favourite - the other is in the related link. In hindsight, it's a bit too flurry of notes, not enough pauses
Sorry, been busy and forgetful.

First off, you don't seem confident enough about leaving space, and your bends don't seem to be played with conviction.

You're never gonna get your pinky in on the action if you wear your guitar that low, by the way.

I'm not spotting any subtle mistakes due to the audio quality, there may be open string noise etc I'm just not hearing.

Overall, I guess your technique is good enough for what you're trying to play (except when you try to do fast alternate picking on the metal jam - - take that clean and slow and then build it up!) - what are you aiming at here? If you want to play "shred" you'll never do it with that left hand posture and lack of leftright hand synch - but it doesn't seem like that's where you're aiming.

Invokke - make sure to relax unused fingers! It sounds fine, but you are often curling up your middle finger when 134 are in use, and you are often still pressing down with 3 when you're using 4 on the same string.

Sounded fine though, no fluffed notes that I heard.
Oooh, is it the low-slung-ness that stops the pinky? Interesting, never thought of that. I noticed I don't leave enough space, not sure why I stopped doing that, but hey. Also - what do you mean by conviction with the bends? Not big enough or just not sustained?

I don't want to play shred, more blues-rock. I think I would be happy if I could just get everything I played in those videos to a comfortable level - ie, not ballsing up the fast alternate picking, doing decent bends.

Do I actually use vibrato at all? Not sure if it shows, probably cos I'm playing non-stop.

EDIT: At about 3 minutes in the Metal in Em vid, I played a bend from a G to an A# or an A, over either a C or B7, can't really analyse it very well. It sounded great to my ears. Any idea why it sounds that way?
Last edited by gabcd86 at Mar 20, 2009,
Oooh, is it the low-slung-ness that stops the pinky?

It certainly doesn't help. Experiment a bit with strap height.

Also - what do you mean by conviction with the bends? Not big enough or just not sustained?

They just didn't convince me. They didn't have to be bigger, just better placed and with more confidence.

I think I would be happy if I could just get everything I played in those videos to a comfortable level - ie, not ballsing up the fast alternate picking, doing decent bends.

Well, spend a long time getting bends perfectly in tune and learning to phrase them. Alternate picking comes 2nd to that by miles.

Do I actually use vibrato at all? Not sure if it shows, probably cos I'm playing non-stop.

I didn't notice any vibrato. That's a bad thing btw.

EDIT: At about 3 minutes in the Metal in Em vid, I played a bend from a G to an A# or an A, over either a C or B7, can't really analyse it very well. It sounded great to my ears. Any idea why it sounds that way?

Because you like it. Now figure out what you did so you can do it again.
Quote by Freepower

You're never gonna get your pinky in on the action if you wear your guitar that low, by the way.

I wear my guitar that low and I do fine with getting my pinky in there. Whenever I want. I wear it that low because my arms are long and kinda gangly...so it's easier to pick that way. Too much higher for me, and I can't mute unwanted noise...I wish I could explain why, but I don't know how.
Hey. I think my picking hand is effed up

sorry the quality is bad I have a bad webcam, I've played for nearly a year now, and in this video i'm just doing some lame picking exercises, anyways, it looks like I'm picking with my fingers sometimes instead of all wrist, well here's the video anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSCe0u9J03Q

I'm not worried about playing fast or anything, however eventually I'd like to be able to pick fast and sync up both my hands (I've been working on rhythm guitar).
Last edited by Rave765 at Mar 27, 2009,
Ok, I've been lurking here for quite a while (since I started playing 3 months ago) and I'd like to have my crappy technique critisized.
One of my main concerns is my fretting hand wrist. When I'm playing the lowers frets or a stretchy chord, I bend my wrist alot and it's uncomfortalbe. However, I haven't been paying much attention to this until yesterday when my left arm and wrist started hurting a bit
Is this CTS?

Video coming soon...
Note: I'm playing on acoutic guitar.
Quote by Shikari4
Anything wrong with technique?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gveMQVt7aB4

General sense of timing and lack of good tone.

Timing has obvious solutions like working with a metronome a lot and paying more attention to what you're playing over.

In terms of tone though you need to be more confident when you attack the strings - not neccesarily harder (although I think in your case it might help) but just more...decisive - like you mean it!

Muting during the silent sections needs a lot of work - string noise and open string ringing are not good things.

Also muting strings that aren't meant to be played as well as pick control to try and not hit them anyway - this problem is particularly audible during the last chord of the song and the inverted powerchord pre-chorus sections, just practice man.

Got the right idea but you're still very much a beginner, work to do but don't get discouraged

Quote by nomnomguitar
Ok, I've been lurking here for quite a while (since I started playing 3 months ago) and I'd like to have my crappy technique critisized.
One of my main concerns is my fretting hand wrist. When I'm playing the lowers frets or a stretchy chord, I bend my wrist alot and it's uncomfortalbe. However, I haven't been paying much attention to this until yesterday when my left arm and wrist started hurting a bit
Is this CTS?

Video coming soon...
Note: I'm playing on acoutic guitar.

If you're worried about CTS then visit a doctor but from what you're saying it sounds like you have a problem with posture - seek out and watch Freepower's video on the subject.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Mar 29, 2009,
Hey, so I need some criticism. Not necessarily on technique, I'm pretty happy with it atm (that's not to say I've stopped practicing ), but on phrasing. I've always been very conscious of my phrasing, and although I'm improving, I'd like to know what I can do to give it more variety. The first two clean parts are especially a concern. But if there's something wrong with my technique, please tell me also.

I like some of the stuff that I recorded, and hopefully will make it into a real song soon.

Oh and please try to get past the horrible tone, I recorded it with a practice amp.

The clip is in my profile, called "Improvisation in G Major".

EDIT: And yes, I always resolve in a stepwise motion on every tonic chord.
It's a disease.
Last edited by one vision at Apr 4, 2009,
Hokay -

First of all, your vibrato sounds a little shrill and nervous. Slower. Make it really obvious you're in control of the string.

Some of those target notes sound like "Oh **** I gotta hit a target note!".

Most of those fast runs sound misplaced - no need for them at all. They also all stop as soon as you realise you've made a mistake, and they're very inconsistent - some notes are very quiet, some too loud - I would guess this is because you've been practicing your fast runs with gain.

It's nice to hear you turn up at 2:10ish, you sound more confident, but I'm afraid the vibrato lets you down again. Milk that mother****er and groove moar.

Very few melodic ideas being developed until around 2:50 - moar of that please. I'm getting the noodling vibe, but try to create a strong motif and then develop that rather than SEARCHING for one. Visualise the idea. Create it. Develop it. Don't "push" notes out hoping that something good will arrive.

Also, whar's the silence? You played nearly non-stop throughout that! Give us some call and response, give us some space. You did change up the tone, which saved it from getting dull, but if you had just kept playing like that without any peaks and valleys it would have been.

Hope that helps.
Yeah the vibrato... It's not that bad. I think the fast vibrato fits in the distorted part quite well. Melody-wise you could experiment more, build some more tension and then resolve. Now your playing sounded a tad stale. The fast runs sounded like they were little off rhythm too. I like how you rolled up the tone control and the tone "opened". Like FP said you could've used more silence; play a short phrase and let the notes linger in the air. Also the reverb on the guitar sounded obnoxious and didn't fit the song at all imo. You should use more delay and use the reverb only the great a feeling of space.
Alright, thanks Stratwizard and FP.

I definetly need to work on the call and response thing. I've always understood it, but never sat down and try to work out some stock phrases for later use. And yes, you're definetly right about the target notes. It's pretty noticible.

Thanks a lot. Really helps.

EDIT: Also, FP, you said something along the lines of "the fast runs stop whenever I make a mistake", but I don't remember making any mistakes. Is there something that you heard?
Last edited by one vision at Apr 5, 2009,
Okay, just uploaded a video. Definitely not the best example- I'm going to record a more 'precise' piece in the near future. However, to give to an idea in the meantime, here it is-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsQTFkO1trw

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Last edited by Volta_91 at Apr 5, 2009,
Quote by Volta_91
Okay, just uploaded a video. Definitely not the best example- I'm going to record a more 'precise' piece in the near future. However, to give to an idea in the meantime, here it is-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqTxWi3M_v0

Your vibrato needs work.

But dude, your playing in the totally wrong key

Seriously didn't you hear that? Then you might need to check ur ears.

The key is F minor, you play A minor or something.

It's hard for me to judge if ur bends are in tune, because you don't play in the right key. You might want to upload a vid with playing in the right key.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Apr 5, 2009,
Quote by one vision
EDIT: Also, FP, you said something along the lines of "the fast runs stop whenever I make a mistake", but I don't remember making any mistakes. Is there something that you heard?

Erp! Well, yes.

The first sweep causes you to leave an open string ringing, around 24 seconds in you flub a note or two and dynamic consistency is way off, around 38 you have little snippets of open string noise, again at 51, some notes aren't properly left/right synched and flam out...

Basically the lines are 90% of the way there, but it's that last 10% that makes all the difference.

Focus more on the tone of the notes - I know this sounds naff, but when I play legato I like to think of notes as forming like pearls and when I pick them I like to think of them as kind of angry scratchy cuboids of sound.

It makes sense in my head, hope it does to you.

DarkTom666

First off. Props for actually preforming an original piece. Far too little of that.

Two main things - relax those picking hand anchors. Get that pinky into the fray.

Other than that, thanks for the original tune.
Oh, that part, yeah.

I just had plenty of takes before that one, and I was tired. And that one sounded more or less good, I didn't feel like doing it again. I was deciding whether or not to do natural harmonics. I did the first one, but the second one failed.

I'm probably gonna keep the two distorted solos as they are (maybe add on), and use a few ideas from the clean parts, but other than that, I'm gonna redo it, and post it again in a few weeks or whatever for moar crit.

Also, I don't know if you noticed or that was what you were criticizing, but I was going for an "aggressive" type of vibrato ala Marty Friedman, etc.

Quote by Freepower
Cool - just widen the vibrato and you're sorted then.

Why does it necessarily have to be wide? IMO both the wide and narrow vibrato have their applications in different contexts and learning to control the vibrato and alternating between those two is what is essential.
Quote by Stratwizard
Why does it necessarily have to be wide? IMO both the wide and narrow vibrato have their applications in different contexts and learning to control the vibrato and alternating between those two is what is essential.

Sure, it's just that he mentioned he was going for a Friedman style aggressive vibrato, and that makes me think wide. I don't have a problem with narrow vibrato at all.
I've got my Line 6 Pod set up, and a webcam set up, but it wont let me use them recording together. what software do you guys use?

in the meanwhile, i'll just record some audio if you could critique that, ive got some problems about my picking sounding too harsh, ill see if i can record something in the next 5 mins or so. Cheers
Last edited by Fraserwatt at Apr 10, 2009,