Page 5 of 45
alright, i got 2 samples of my playing on my profile, if anyone could give a bit of advice, that would be awesome.
cheers
This thread is totally awesome. I really must seek a way to film myself
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by Fraserwatt
alright, i got 2 samples of my playing on my profile, if anyone could give a bit of advice, that would be awesome.
cheers

Videos are really MUCH more useful, if you can post a video we might just be able to help in a real way.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Alright, don't know if y'all saw the other video, but here's my second try:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W-gGwOQCCE&feature=channel

I tried to slow it down and use more vibrato and bends and stuff, so it should be an improvement on the first one.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Videos are really MUCH more useful, if you can post a video we might just be able to help in a real way.

I'll try and get my webcam & line6 pod working together again later, for some reason it wont let me record the pod at the same time as my webcam
So I thought I'd summarize the technique issues in this thread in a list:

relax picking hand anchors

mute open string noise

left hand posture
I still don't really understand if I'm doing this right or wrong. I watched freepower's vid but maybe because my english isn't that amazing I'm still not sure about it.

leftrighthand synch
Is this a synonym for timing between picking hand and fretting hand?

relax unused fingers

dynamics
This hasn't been really explained in depth but I assume it means that you have to play consistently with the same dynamics

stop tension in the right pinky

Does this mean that you have to relax your picking hand pinky while playing?

fretting and defretting neatly enough

stop anchoring

keep right hand economical

I have completely no idea what this means. I hope someone can help

picking hand stays close and tight

close to the strings i assume

When you pick move your arm so the flat part at the side of your hand, next to your pinky is lightly touching the strings.

don't land flat on the strings
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Quote by 08L1V10N
So I thought I'd summarize the technique issues in this thread in a list:

Quote by 08L1V10N

leftrighthand synch
Is this a synonym for timing between picking hand and fretting hand?

Yes.

Quote by 08L1V10N

dynamics
This hasn't been really explained in depth but I assume it means that you have to play consistently with the same dynamics

Yes.

It means playing with nice accents, to spice up ur playing. You don't want a rock solo sound like elevator music.

For example; You want bends to stand out, and in fast runs give accents so there's a "pulse" going on, like a groove.

Continuity in ur dynamics means that you don't randomly accent, and that ur notes all sound more or less even in time, and in volume.

Quote by 08L1V10N

stop tension in the right pinky
Does this mean that you have to relax your picking hand pinky while playing?

I'm not sure; I think it's aimed towards people who anchor, that you don't use ur muscles to keep ur pinky in place. Aka not anchoring, is a relaxed pinky.
Quote by 08L1V10N

keep right hand economical

I have completely no idea what this means. I hope someone can help

IT means that if you play for example a speed pinking run, that you don't move ur hands as wide as if you strum, but use little movements coming from mostly the wrist, and that you don't use ur entire arm.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Apr 11, 2009,
ok, bedankt
Quote by razorback91

I decided to post about my pull-offs here too because mostly freepower and the others post here and they usually give great advice, and second because i am allowed to record what i play and let it be analyzed.
In short, my pull-offs suck.
But my hammer-ons are going quite well (still not very good, though)

Click here to listen to my recording (It's hosted on mediafire)
I have recorded what i do (it's audio only. I don't have a good video camera.). The first section is clean, i begin with moderately fast pull-offs, which sound like crap, then slow pull-ofs, which sound like crap too, then fast hammer-ons, it already sounds better, then slow hammer-ons, sounds better too. After a bit of delay, i switch to the distortion, i begin with slow pull-offs, and it again sounds like crap. I then do fast pull-offs, which sounds like crap. Then slow hammer-ons. This goes fine, Then fast hammer-ons. This goes well.

I want to learn how to do clear, non-muffled pull-offs. Please analyze my playing and point out what i do wrong. (And thanks for such a great thread!)

Any advice?
Hi, as well as the video I uploaded yesterday, I've just recorded another, this time showing a chromatic thing over multiple strings from the freepower guitar pro folder, and also with a couple of pinch harmonics at the end. firstly to see if theres anything wrong with basic technique, and then to find out why my pinch harmonics sound so weak.

the two videos are at the top of my youtube page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/fraserwatt101

thanks, this thread is a great idea!
Last edited by Fraserwatt at Apr 12, 2009,
Fraser, these are some things I saw wrong.
-Your thumb should almost always be behind the neck in the middle except when bending and vibratoing.
-Your wrist is way too bent. Try putting it like Jani in this video (he's the one in the black Jack Daniels shirt). Try to get your wrist aligned much straighter with your arm.
-Your tapping isn't evenly timed.

About the pinches, try pinching different parts of the string. There's one harmonic by the first pickup (closest to strings), then there's another in the middle of the pickup, then another at almost the last pickup (farthest away). Be sure your treble is at least like a 7, you have enough "high" on your amp to catch those clearly, and your pickup is set to the one farthest away from the neck. Check out this video that gives a lot of information on harmonics... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HLZ5sIgZlY
Last edited by tenfold at Apr 12, 2009,
Alright, don't know if y'all saw the other video, but here's my second try:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W-g...feature=channel

I tried to slow it down and use more vibrato and bends and stuff, so it should be an improvement on the first one.

Sorry to repost, but it's been a while :/
Alright i'm back!

I has another video, though I apologize for how long it is... I hope i've improved since the last one like... a month ago.

It starts as an upclose of my picking hand to see if i'm picking good. And I still want to know what picking type I have >> I think i'm closer to Oscillatory Picking than I was, but i'm not exactly sure.

It moves out to a full body so you can judge posture and everything else.

Don't mind the part at 3:46-3:47 xD You'll know what i'm talking about ;]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccUZKVDd2pM

Have fun! ^^
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Alright i'm back!

I has another video, though I apologize for how long it is... I hope i've improved since the last one like... a month ago.

It starts as an upclose of my picking hand to see if i'm picking good. And I still want to know what picking type I have >> I think i'm closer to Oscillatory Picking than I was, but i'm not exactly sure.

Have fun! ^^
I like how your picking hand looks...and I see you snuck in some Cynic, lol.

I'm not done watching yet.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Alright i'm back!

Have fun! ^^

In terms of picking and being clean you seem to be doing pretty well; there are some moments in the sweeps when it's not as clean as it should be and a few flubbed sweeps completely but it's not bad.

Your vibrato still sounds very unsure of itself, too quick and shallow with no real sense of control (at least to me).

Keep going dude, you're doing pretty good.

gabcd86: Link is broken, try again.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
In terms of picking and being clean you seem to be doing pretty well; there are some moments in the sweeps when it's not as clean as it should be and a few flubbed sweeps completely but it's not bad.

Your vibrato still sounds very unsure of itself, too quick and shallow with no real sense of control (at least to me).

Keep going dude, you're doing pretty good.

gabcd86: Link is broken, try again.

Thank you. :] Especially for the picking comment... i've never been taught how to hold the pick, so it's all natrual :]

About the vibrato: I noticed that too when I went back and watched the video. I didn't really use much in the video, though. When i'm playing an actual song it comes out more.

And yeah, I did just kind of stop doing some sweeps when it came out wrong. That's how I practice though! I notice my mistakes, correct them, and then try again.
DiminishedFifth

Noticed lots of flubbed notes, you need to pay more attention to each note and make sure it comes out right. Improve left/right hand synch.

Secondly, nothing showed me a strong sense of timing or dynamics or indeed, any real level of control of the tone and volume of the notes created. Again - more attention to detail.

gabcd86

I'm seeing lots more work on creation and development of phrases. That's good stuff, but you're still playing too many notes (and I'm one to talk ) - make sure you mean to play the notes.

Also, the bends about 1:10 in are terribly out of tune and that just ruins the effect. On the other hand 1.40 odd is a step in the right direction.

Just tighten it all up a notch, leave more space and work on finding chord tones and you'll be sorted.
Quote by Freepower
Noticed lots of flubbed notes, you need to pay more attention to each note and make sure it comes out right. Improve left/right hand synch.

Secondly, nothing showed me a strong sense of timing or dynamics or indeed, any real level of control of the tone and volume of the notes created. Again - more attention to detail.

How would I increase my right/left hand synch?

I wasn't really keeping time... just kind of... showing what I could do xD I'm not very good at improvising by my self with no backing or anything.

And what dynamics could I do with distortion? I don't know how to control the volume or tone of my notes aside from the strength of my pick attack, and I only really decrease it for soft passages.
freepower, u seem really pro att ur thing, could I post a video of my playing? Im just a little bit unsure about the last fade to black solo, so could u give me help if I posted a video of me playing it kinda slow? I hope all the tabs I've read are correct, and also if a do something wrong while playing,Im a newbie so don't go so hard on me^^
Quote by DiminishedFifth
How would I increase my right/left hand synch?

I wasn't really keeping time... just kind of... showing what I could do xD I'm not very good at improvising by my self with no backing or anything.

And what dynamics could I do with distortion? I don't know how to control the volume or tone of my notes aside from the strength of my pick attack, and I only really decrease it for soft passages.

He means overall dynamic continuity, and not Dynamics based on the passage.

All ur notes must have about the same volume unless the passage otherwise, but you not choosing/control ur dynamics, cause it's far too random.

Both Dynamics and left/right hand sync mainly increase by just playing a lot of guitar and listen closely to ur tone and watching ur picking technique.

No special technique. Your fingers just need more control.

The vid is not bad and ur playing is good, and you mute well. It will come in time, just keep practising.

Try to play sometimes with over exaggerated dynamics and vibrato. Often you need to go to both extremes so your hands are "Familiar" with the full span of tone you can get.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Apr 21, 2009,
Quote by pjuckazz
freepower, u seem really pro att ur thing, could I post a video of my playing? Im just a little bit unsure about the last fade to black solo, so could u give me help if I posted a video of me playing it kinda slow? I hope all the tabs I've read are correct, and also if a do something wrong while playing,Im a newbie so don't go so hard on me^^

This thread is basically a free-for-all, you want advice just post away and we'll do our best ^_^

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
He means overall dynamic continuity, and not Dynamics based on the passage.

All ur notes must have about the same volume unless the passage otherwise, but you not choosing/control ur dynamics, cause it's far too random.

Both Dynamics and left/right hand sync mainly increase by just playing a lot of guitar and listen closely to ur tone and watching ur picking technique.

No special technique. Your fingers just need more control.

The vid is not bad and ur playing is good, and you mute well. It will come in time, just keep practising.

Try to play sometimes with over exaggerated dynamics and vibrato. Often you need to go to both extremes so your hands are "Familiar" with the full span of tone you can get.

Alrght, thank you for that :]

I'll probably post a video of me playing a song soon since that's the main place I do alot of vibrato and tonal experimentation.
Careful not to let your left hand get so tense, your middle finger especially is really curled up during those octaves, aside from that saw nothing major for the time being.
Quote by The.new.guy
New technique halp guise! Please halp me out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFpvuMG_Lw4

I think it looks good, but I don't want just my advice.

I think you just need to accent the start of every beat, and it sounded like you need to improve your pinky strength for legato (volume was a bit undefined). other than that, it sounded pretty good .
Apologies once again for the atrocious sound quality - it was the built-in mic on my Mac (it actually sounds reasonable in real life and when recorded through USB). Anyway, I'm trying to loosen up my hand a little as I find (only on Metallica stuff) I tend to get lazy and rest on the bridge, how does this look?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvxVHgesOI8

Thanks.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Quote by WishfulShredder
I think you just need to accent the start of every beat, and it sounded like you need to improve your pinky strength for legato (volume was a bit undefined). other than that, it sounded pretty good .

Maybe I shouldn't have put any legato in in a picking technique video .
Quote by Hidden Hippo
Apologies once again for the atrocious sound quality - it was the built-in mic on my Mac (it actually sounds reasonable in real life and when recorded through USB). Anyway, I'm trying to loosen up my hand a little as I find (only on Metallica stuff) I tend to get lazy and rest on the bridge, how does this look?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvxVHgesOI8

Thanks.

When you change strings, I see you don't move your wrist at all but rather your elbow a lot. Try to use more of the wrist.
Have just recently decided im going to incorporate Barre chords more into my practicing now. Wanted to fit in some of the "easier" shapes to start off with and ended up with this chord progression lasting a couple of mins. Wanted to hear peoples views on anything you guys can think of. All feedback is appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vARMEHAz7ok
I thought it was pretty solid. Good timing, decent phrasing, you showed awareness of dynamics and chord tones... all round, well good.

Could be polished plenty but I think you got what you were aiming for.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-SmNk9fjIM

I consciously slowed this one down, and used a lot more chord-based things, but it ended up fucking long, sorry :P

I can't even tell you the highlights, cos it kind of crescendoes slightly. I dunno, sorry about that...