So, the back story is I've spent the last 4 months in the armpit of humanity (dish washing at a restaurant) and I've spent only $46 (one Steve's cheeseburger and a set of D'Addario Chromes) of the money I've earned. I've now decided it's high time I see some kind of direct benefit from my work other than the knowledge of an upcoming trip.

The long and short of it is that I need something to throw money into that's <$250 and pickups are my next immediate need for an upgrade. The only problem is I do not have any clue as to which ones to get myself. The only criteria I am completely, unbudgingly set on is the fact that they must be noiseless single coil pickups that fit a standard 5 STRING jazz bass dimension. Tone-wise I'm looking for something very tight, but still big; clear, but not wimpy. I like a modern-ish tone, but not so clear and biting that it fills no space.

I understand that pickups aren't going to overhaul my tone completely, but anything that gets me closer to ^that^ sound is a plus. So, criteria:

- <$250
- --->!NOISELESS!<---
- Tight, even and modernish, but still something that takes up a lot of space.
- 5 string (pretty important as well)
Any advice that the lovely forum members have is delightful and well appreciated.
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Jan 5, 2009,
WEll you have all sorts of choices, maybe you could go and try some basses that actually have these pickups in them, Im not sure, maybe look at bartolini, I like Dimazros(spl) but they wont be a direct change.#

When i get the money im putting nordstarnds in my jazz 24, but their more growly.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Jan 5, 2009,
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
So, the back story is I've spent the last 4 months in the armpit of humanity

that's why I was so itchy!!!!

/lame jokes

EMG sounds like a great thing to look at. Bartolini is pretty good too, but is probably much bassier than you would desire.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity

that's why I was so itchy!!!!

/lame jokes

EMG sounds like a great thing to look at. Bartolini is pretty good too, but is probably much bassier than you would desire.

i loled

and i use bartolinis and they are great try them if your into the bassy kind of thing
Have you thought of changing out the preamp instead? Like a John East, Aguilar, or something along the same lines. Not saying you should go this way for sure, but its something to look at.
Quote by IndianRockStar
Have you thought of changing out the preamp instead? Like a John East, Aguilar, or something along the same lines. Not saying you should go this way for sure, but its something to look at.

tonally, I preferred an MIM + J-RETRO over an CIJ Jazz 24+ EMG's.

damn old guy in my jazz class had everything I tell you.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by IndianRockStar

But what I'm wondering is how much effect would the preamp have on the tone I'm trying to achieve? Would it add a larger sound or more tight clarity?

Also, as far as EMG goes, they don't appear to make a 5 string jazz pickup, nevermind a noiseless set.

I've considered Bartolinis but I've heard they might be a little wimpy, true? They seem like the modern choice to go with, although I really don't know.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
But what I'm wondering is how much effect would the preamp have on the tone I'm trying to achieve? Would it add a larger sound or more tight clarity?

Also, as far as EMG goes, they don't appear to make a 5 string jazz pickup, nevermind a noiseless set.

I've considered Bartolinis but I've heard they might be a little wimpy, true? They seem like the modern choice to go with, although I really don't know.

EMG would be pretty noiseless. I've not had any trouble with it.
Barts can punch and tighten, they can be very wide and almost wall-like, from my experiences and my musical gossip ears, they are almost jack of all trades with an Ash or Alder body and a quality preamp- I would assume they would still be very nice on a passive bass.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

If you have to ask...

are you sure you even need our help?........

(slowly dissolves back into the mist.)

Love the Low end
Barts have a very signature tone being very bassey. This is a very awesome tone but the only problem I have with then is that the tone is ONLY bartolini and often the sound of your strings and woods get lost in them leaving you with a tone that everyone has.

What I would recomend is to look at some reviews of your bass and find out what the flaws are. Mine was the pre-amp so I've got a east-uk on the way. But if I had to recomend a pick=up it woul have to be Nordstrands.

-they arent to widely known about

-very open sound (the take into account the wood, strings and bridge so you get your own tone not someone elses)

but make sure that you try some before you buy some. they might not be what you are looking for.
The only problem I'm seeing with trying, is that there's so many other factors involved with a bass than the pickups. If the strings are dead, the preamp, the body wood, the type of strings, hell, even the action and playability would affect my opinion of the pickups, so I can't see any point in trying out a pickup, unless I could find my specific bass with a whole bunch of different pickups.

What I'm wondering about Nordstrand is: how modern are they? I'm not sure why, but I've always gotten the impression they were a little bit old school sounding, but I really don't know.

Thanks for all the help so far guys.
bales i know it's not entirely what you want to hear but lose the Rumble 100, that'll help your tone no end.

anywho, suggestions, i suggest looking at MECs i'm not sure they have noiseless 5 stringers but if they do they are worth it, they are really clear and articulate, i got a set of passives on my jazz and i love them they work so well for everything because they are so transparent and clear sounding
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
On loosing the Rumble i agree, I sold mine and im looking for a nice trace elliot or hartke rig. Maybe even get a bassman or something.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I'd go with EMGs or bartolinis, but I am a sucker for dimarzios. A nice set of passives and a coolio little digital multifx preamp off ebay will fit your budget perfectly.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Oh, I know the Rumble needs to go right now, but the fact of the matter is that I don't have the money to replace it with any amplifier that's worth upgrading to and I won't for a long while. So, I figured since I needed to replace the pickups anyway for hum, I may as well try to improve my sound as well.

Anyway, how worried should I be about routing out the pickup slot? The DiMarzios seem nice, as well as cheap to boot, but they aren't a direct replacement for Fender Jazzes, so I would have to (probably get someone else to) rout it. How hard is it/how much will it cost me?
It wouldnt be that diffucult, do you now are they too long or too wide or generally not ment to fit. But i would get some to do it on a bass like that.

About the rumble, i dont know what you like but, i sold mine for 350(a hundred less then i bought it for over a year later and you can buy them new for 300) you could easily get a hartke lh500 or ha3500 and a 15" cab for that amountmaybem 50 more. Your tone will be no end better.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Oh, I know the Rumble needs to go right now, but the fact of the matter is that I don't have the money to replace it with any amplifier that's worth upgrading to and I won't for a long while. So, I figured since I needed to replace the pickups anyway for hum, I may as well try to improve my sound as well.

Anyway, how worried should I be about routing out the pickup slot? The DiMarzios seem nice, as well as cheap to boot, but they aren't a direct replacement for Fender Jazzes, so I would have to (probably get someone else to) rout it. How hard is it/how much will it cost me?

It is hard to do a rout by yourself, it would probably come out sloppy. If you are cool with dips in the side or things like that, or you are experianced with routing and have the pickup templates, go for it.

Luthiers generally cost $50 an hour, but some just generalize to $50 a rout, so it would cost a little less than $100. If you are going to rout it out, something I have been wanting to do is add a Ric pickup to the neck. Seymour duncan sells replacement ric pickups, so it is possible to do so. Growly ric tones on a jazz bass? Yum.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
That's what I was afraid of. I just can't justify spending $100 on pickups and then another ~$100 on routing, when I could just get higher quality pickups that fit my bass in the first place. The DiMarzios are losing their appeal now.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
That's what I was afraid of. I just can't justify spending $100 on pickups and then another ~$100 on routing, when I could just get higher quality pickups that fit my bass in the first place. The DiMarzios are losing their appeal now.

then go with Nords or Barts.

can't say I've played Nordstrands however, though they certainly sound like a nice idea.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard