So I've been reading a million threads about amps trying to decide what ones to try out and ultimately buy.

My budget I'd like to keep to £500 or below.

At the moment I'm mostly playing SRV, Hendrix, Floyd... a bit of metal and other stuff thrown in here and there but predominantly blues/rock.

This amp will mainly be for a solo practice amp, although I may take it along to band practice now and again (blues band). Needs to have a great clean channel, not too bothered if I have to use a pedal to get decent overdrive.

So I have been thinking the VC30-112 would suit me best, but thought I'd ask opinions.

I did notice you can get the ENGL Thunder Drive for 500 now...although it sounds like that's more tailored to rock/metal than blues and may be overkill for my needs...
if you can try the thunder, that'd be a good idea- i haven't tried it, the screamer is extremely versatile, though, but if you *never* need the higher gain stuff, there are cheaper options (and they probably aren't as tight-sounding, which the engl needs so it can do the modern stuff too, and some vintage guys don't like that tightness). if you need metal a little, it might be worth considering (the thunder). as i said, though, try it first, as it may be completely different to the screamer.

if you're willing to do without metal, the vc30 would be cool. wouldn't hurt to try other tube amps at a similar price (and up to £500) just in case you find something which you like more. SRV used quite a fendery tone, you'd need to make sure the laney could get that tone, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks for the reply, the problem with the Thunder is it would have to be mail order as nobody near me stocks it, so it would be a risk.

With it being a home practice amp mainly, I think the 50watt may be too much...the neighbours would lynch me.

Does anyone have any experience of the blackheart handsome devil? The switchable 15/7watt might be more suited to my needs...although I'm not sure how it would cope in a band practice
The Laney will do you everything but the heavy metal, but a tubescreamer pedal will get you there.
engls sound pretty good turned down... even 5 watts is loud as hell turned up. a 50 watt amp with a good maser volume turned down will likely sound better than a 5 watter with a bad master volume (as it's going to have to be turned down a bit too).

can't help you with the specific request about the thunder, though, i haven't tried it either...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?