Hi ...

So im buying all the stuff required to make a home studio ..and im down to the monitors ....ive been looking around and most sites have categorized monitors as active and passive . I googled it to find out the difference ...but most of the results
go into electronic details and its like rocket science to me ...

I just wanna know the basic difference between both and which one will suit me ...

(Im gonna be using my PC to record ....with a
M-audio fast track pro
Pro tools M-powered
and a couple of condenser mics)
Go for actives. They have an amp built-in.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Actives are cheaper and have built in amps. Passives require amps and are much pricier, however they sound a lot better. Passives are definitely a good investment if you plan on recording for a career.
Not necessarily. In fact, the most famous passive monitors, the Yamaha NS-10, doesn't sound good at all (nor are they accurate). It's just when a mix sounds good on them does it finally translate well to any other speaker.

Anyway, to the TS, go active.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
hi ...thanks guys ....one more question ...if i get a pair of passive monitors
where should i look for amplifiers for them ? ...i mean the technical term
for the amplifier of a passive amp?
I went with passive monitors as I couldn't afford the active ones. I had a decent stereo amp already, so I just power the monitors with that. If I had to go back and do it all over again, I don't see myself justifying the extra expense of getting active monitors.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.