Hi guys

I've been playing for around a year now and just bought myself an Ibanez with a Floyd Rose tremolo. Now unfortunately, I can't play the way I did before due to the tremolo - I used to lay my picking hand just on the bridge close to the strings which worked really well. With the Floyd Rose though I can't do this since I unintentionally use the tremolo which makes my playing sound cack.

Could you tell me the correect way to pick, including the picking hand in general etc?
Quote by Deep*Kick
"Hi guys, god here. My son is uber awesome at improvisation, but he can't play cover songs for the life of him. Is he gifted?"
yes i can

what you used to do is called "anchoring". it means you layed your picking hand somewhere on the body of your guitar in a fixed place. this is bad for your playing and should be avoided. i had EXACTLY THE SAME TROUBLE than you a couple of months ago. you should avoid anchoring.

How?- you may ask. well, it isvery simple to say, though it is a lil more complicated to do. you should lift your picking hand away from the tremolo, and you should only lay your FOREARM on the upper part of your axe. you can touch the strings or the tremolo casually, but it can't be always in the same place, a.k.a. fixed place. the idea is that this "anchoring" thing keeps you playin slower.

when i left the "anchoring" thing behind, i had problems muting strings, and for that, i higly recommend a vid that is located in the advanced technique forum, inside a sticky called "read this **** sticky..." in the "muting unwanted strings" part.

if you have any doubt, please don't hesitate to contact me through PM or comment in my profile, i will be happy to help, since i recently had this problem...

good bye, i hope i helped.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
yes i can

what you used to do is called "anchoring". it means you layed your picking hand somewhere on the body of your guitar in a fixed place. this is bad for your playing and should be avoided. i had EXACTLY THE SAME TROUBLE than you a couple of months ago. you should avoid anchoring.

How?- you may ask. well, it isvery simple to say, though it is a lil more complicated to do. you should lift your picking hand away from the tremolo, and you should only lay your FOREARM on the upper part of your axe. you can touch the strings or the tremolo casually, but it can't be always in the same place, a.k.a. fixed place. the idea is that this "anchoring" thing keeps you playin slower.

when i left the "anchoring" thing behind, i had problems muting strings, and for that, i higly recommend a vid that is located in the advanced technique forum, inside a sticky called "read this **** sticky..." in the "muting unwanted strings" part.

if you have any doubt, please don't hesitate to contact me through PM or comment in my profile, i will be happy to help, since i recently had this problem...

this can help you alot.
Quote by voleurz
stick it in the butt and pee
Quote by Sudaka
yes i can

Thanks a lot for your help.

Well what you describe seems to be some kind of free picking. If I understand you correctly my picking hand doesn't touch the guitar at all and it's just free above the strings, without touching them right? I've got less control with this technique though It's all down to practicing then I guess.

Do you have a photo showing the picking hand by any chance? Or just say if I got what you meant
Quote by Deep*Kick
"Hi guys, god here. My son is uber awesome at improvisation, but he can't play cover songs for the life of him. Is he gifted?"
ok, you got what i mean, but i want to put one point clear, you can touch the body of your guitar with ur forearm, and lay it there, cause if you do not do that, your arm is gonna hurt after half an hour playing.

and, yes, when you start playing without anchoring you loose control (i am telling this from my own experience) but if you practice half an hour a day playing slow, tou'll be able to recover your control in no time. btw use a metronome! and don't hesitate to contact me through my profile if you need it.

also, there are lots of info about anchoring here, if you wish i'll tell you where to find it.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Sudaka
yes i can

I disagree, anchoring is a staple of my own picking style, and has never hindered me from playing anything. I play Slayer, Sepultura, Hendrix--you name it. In fact I'll play songs like Raining Blood while my fourth finger never leaves the body of my guitar. Resting your hand doesn't mean that it's static and permanently weighted, it's something you learn in how to minimalize your hand movement and pick really fast and in different ways. I easily pick up and down the strings while still anchored, and it _works_.

For that reason I prefer a mounted bridge. My best friend that's a couple orders of magnitude above me in skill is the same way. Floating bridges appeal to certain types of guitarists, while some of us excel with other mechanics. Personally, I've only found floating bridges to be a nuisance in every way: they're annoying to maintain+restring, they get in the way by hovering out of the guitar body more than normal, you have to define your picking style to avoid depressing the strings by accident, and I just don't consider their function that useful in playing or writing music.