Poll: Speaker distortion?
Poll Options
View poll results: Speaker distortion?
Good(state why)
4 80%
Bad(state why)
1 20%
Voters: 5.
Hey all, I was just wondering what a good speaker for a Crate V18 would be? Its a 1x12 combo tube amp, and I was thinking of swapping out the stock speaker for a Green Beret (Greenback Clone) or a Veteran 30( Vintage 30 Clone) . Do you think thats a good idea? Is there better speakers I should look at?
Quote by Flying Couch
I approve of this thread.

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty
Best book ever, best thread ever.

Quote by batman187
I definitely approve of this.

Quote by meh!
Last edited by Lookatmegooo at Jan 6, 2009,
Well, first of all, what don't you like about the current sound and what's your budget? 25W may also be a little skimpy if you want to avoid speaker distortion, the amp is rated for 18W at 5% THD, so it can easily put out 25 watts probably. Some people like the sound speaker distortion adds, some don't.
Last edited by Mike-T93 at Jan 5, 2009,
Is there a good example of speaker distortion you could provide? Budget is $100ish tops. The stock speaker is a little bass heavy and plus it was recommended to someone in a different thread that if they got that amp to replace the speaker. The Green Beret and the Governor seemed to be ones that stuck out for the V18
Quote by Flying Couch

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty

Quote by batman187

Quote by meh!
Last edited by Lookatmegooo at Jan 5, 2009,
Speaker distortion is just the speaker being pushed to its limit and adding to the harmonic distortion. I guess it would sound different on every speaker. If you're thinking Eminence the Private Jack might be better for cutting the bass than the Governor. If you look at the sensitivity curve of each speaker the Private Jack is more trebly, but I'm sure either would be higher quality than the stock speaker. I've got the 2x12 and I agree it's a bit bass heavy.
Quote by Mike-T93
Speaker distortion is just the speaker being pushed to its limit and adding to the harmonic distortion. I guess it would sound different on every speaker. If you're thinking Eminence the Private Jack might be better for cutting the bass than the Governor. If you look at the sensitivity curve of each speaker the Private Jack is more trebly, but I'm sure either would be higher quality than the stock speaker. I've got the 2x12 and I agree it's a bit bass heavy.

Can anybody vouch for Eminence and/or have anymore speaker suggestions? Anybody have any experience with Eminence?
Quote by Flying Couch

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty

Quote by batman187

Quote by meh!
Eminence is well-made, US made as a matter of fact.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I play all types of music so the speaker would have to be versatile, any recommendations on a speaker Its still between an Eminence( Dont really know which one) and a Green Beret still at this point. Any suggestions?
Quote by Flying Couch

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty

Quote by batman187

Quote by meh!
You have distortion in your speaker too? I have the same amp and the same problem. It's not overwhelming, but it is noticeable.
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
Quote by JesusLives
You have distortion in your speaker too? I have the same amp and the same problem. It's not overwhelming, but it is noticeable.

Yea, its rather obnoxious on the 6th string too. Still no suggestions?
Quote by Flying Couch

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty

Quote by batman187

Quote by meh!
Tone tubby for sure.
http://www.tonetubby.com/ts.html
Epiphone Valve Junior
Peavy Windsor Head
Ampeg J-12T
1959 Harmony H400A
Randall Pro-Tube 2000

Gibson Faded Special SG
Homemade superstrat with EMG 81
Peavy Tracer
Washburn XB600 6-string bass
Enough pedals to crush a rhino
Quote by SVStee
Tone tubby for sure.

I've never heard of them, does anybody have any experience with them? Is the San Rafael what your recommending?
Quote by Flying Couch

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty

Quote by batman187

Quote by meh!
Quote by SVStee
Tone tubby for sure.

What's the wattage ratings with these?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
What's the wattage ratings with these?

+100000 I'm wondering too

Do you guys suggest a speaker that will add speaker distortion or do you think it would be good to get a speaker that wont give speaker distortion?
Quote by Flying Couch

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty

Quote by batman187

Quote by meh!
If you want a lot of clean headroom then get a higher wattage speaker. If you want a lot of distortion at high volumes get a speaker that's closer to the amp's rating. I would not go under 25W, though, and that's cutting it close.
Quote by Mike-T93
If you want a lot of clean headroom then get a higher wattage speaker. If you want a lot of distortion at high volumes get a speaker that's closer to the amp's rating. I would not go under 25W, though, and that's cutting it close.

DO you mean a lot of distortion a low volumes?
Quote by Flying Couch

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty

Quote by batman187

Quote by meh!
Quote by customisbetter
I use a 10" Ragun Cajun and i love it. It has a southern rock/texas feel to it.

And I see your an agile fan. What great taste. Have you recorded anything with it?
Quote by Flying Couch

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty

Quote by batman187

Quote by meh!
kurtlives mentioned he tried out a tone tubby on one of his amps (cant remember what one, check some of his amp build threads), and it was apparanty really good.

I havent tried one myself to say, though..