Ok so my band has decided to start playing heavier music (somewhat). I am also currently looking at buying another guitar anyway (maybe a Schecter or Ibanez s-series, havent decided yet).

What are the pros and cons..of a 7 string vs a Baritone guitar vs. standard 6-string in drop C?

I am sure it is a matter of opinion and personal preference, just want to get some ideas from you guys.

I currently play through a Carvin V3 head and a line 6 spider 2 cab (soon to get a new cab..i know i know)

Current guitars: Charvel Model 6 and an Epi Les Paul are the only 2 I use.
well, i dunno much about those models, but i can tell that with iobanez you're gonna get passive pups, that SHOULD be more versatile than the active pickups you're gonna get from schecter. anyway don't know how heavy will be your stuff, but the active pups are the best for metal (death metal, heavy metal, thrash metal, etc.)

another one, schecter guitars has thicker necks than ibanez (in fact, ibanez is known for they very very thin necks.) IN THEORY, thinner necks are better for fast playing (whcich i assume you'll be trying to get, since heavier music often has fast solos and stuff) but it is a matter of preference really... at least this is what i can help you with.

finally, i like schecter more... obviously that is JUST my opinion.

hope i've been somewht helpful.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Yea I've been looking at the models and from what I have heard / experienced from active pups is they do THAT sound good, I think Schecter has a 7 string with the JB / 59 pups and figured it would be more versatile.

I play more rhythm guitar than lead but still do some from time to time.
baritone and seven string are lower than a 6 in drop c - pretty much it oh and there way harder to find
Equipment:
PRS SE custom Cherryburst
dean razorback V (green/black) currently on ebay
Digitech Death metal pedal [wanting to sell - £15]
Zoom G1X [wanting to sell - £25]
Line6 UX1 (with metal shop add on)
Quote by Roc327

If you're not set on having a floating bridge, I'd definitely go with the Schechter
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's