I just discovered that windows media player (yes I'm a lazy bastard that hasn't downloaded a better alternative) has been ripping (and yes, I buy cd's) everything as WMA's. At reaction was "O fuckery, I'll have to rip everything again". But on second thoughts the time involved for a (possibly minimal) step up in quality might not be worth it.

So basiclly, is it worth re-ripping my entire library (1293 tracks) from WMA's to Mp3's?
You've only just discovered it? Where have you been living? . I'm not quite so sure about the different file types but I'd imagine that a WMA is better quality than an mp3 however I'm not quite so sure how many mp3 players support WMA - which is a major disadvantage of the file type not being an MP3.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

i thought WMA's took up less memory than mp3's or somethin useful like that

Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by gavz_verdikt
There is a box below Private Messages and right of Log Out.
I think the TS will know what to do next

Just rip your favorites.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
WMAs are useless. Import everything into itunes, and it will convert them all to MP3.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
.wma are slightly better at low bit rates, which is useful if you've only got a tiny mp3 player, but at higher bitrates the difference is negligible and .mp3 is pretty much universally supported while .wma is not.
so, if i get a ipod, can i just sync them onto it with Windows Media Player 11 and put them on? or do i NEED itunes, because its a 8 hour download for it

btw, im gettign it second hand from a freind,8$
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Last edited by nowa90 at Jan 5, 2009,
Quote by nowa90
so, if i get a ipod, can i just snch them onto it with WMP 11 and put htem on? or so i NEED itunes, bc its a 8 hour downlaod fro it

btw, im gettign it second hand from a freind,8$

ly sd exi a?
Quote by Ekofu
Thought iTunes converted them to that useless AAC file.. or m4a

AAC/M4a is far from useless, the queality is superior to both MP3 and WMA, and most modern MP3 players can play them. If you want MP3 files, you can change the settings in iTunes to MP3 though. I still use MP3 myself, simply because it is almost universally supported and the difference is negligable unless you have a really good sound system. Which I don't.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by jgbsmith
AAC/M4a is far from useless, the queality is superior to both MP3 and WMA, and most modern MP3 players can play them. If you want MP3 files, you can change the settings in iTunes to MP3 though. I still use MP3 myself, simply because it is almost universally supported and the difference is negligable unless you have a really good sound system. Which I don't.

Ok better quality only usable with mp3 players.... still seems kinda useless to me.
Quote by *powerslave*
Well I've always used wma's and found them fine....
same, i dont really care, now whenever i rip its 192 kbps though, was 128..dont really notice quality difference...should i re-rip what i can now?
it is a bit useless, I think the main reason for it was because it also supports Apple's DRM, hence things bought from the iTunes Store come as m4a
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by Ekofu
Ok better quality only usable with mp3 players.... still seems kinda useless to me.

Everything on my laptop is m4a and aac. I can listen to it on my laptop, on my ipod and on my old MP3 player. I can upload it to the internet, burn it to disc, import it into acid and cubase and fruityloops etc. How exactly is it useless?

WMA can't do a lot of that.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by jgbsmith

god you talk a lot of s#it. the only things that play acc's are ipods, which from working in a store that sells them and having been there for the last 3 years i ccan tell you that ipods ate the worst possible mp3 players on the market! just about all mp3 players apart from apple crap will play wma because they aint designd for apples stupid systems, there designsd to work with windows.
Quote by Monkey Biscuits
cheers everybody. from what iv read since i'v had no trouble with my Mp3 Player i'll just stick to WMA's
good
WMA is a Microsoft proprietary format, although they do licence it out to other manufacturers on occasion.

MP3 is an open standard format (MPEG-1 Layer 3) which everyone knows, and most people use.

AAC (m4a/mp4) is an open standard (MPEG-4) which Apple has taken and added in the ability to perform DRM. m4a files not having DRM, m4p files having DRM.

For a given bit rate, the consensus seems to be that in order of quality it is AAC -> WMA -> MP3. But there are some converters that are better than others.

Additionally, all three are lossy formats. Take a piece of paper, photo copy it, not photo copy that photo copy and see what happens. Now stick the photo copies on its top highest super-duper quality setting. Does that crappy photocopy of a photocopy suddenly become better? No. And by converting from one format to another you're having the same effect. There are some out there that think that you can take a 128Kb/s MP3 and re-rip it to a 256Kb/s WMA and it will magically become better. Don't listen to these people. They are idiots.