So I have been wanting to start a home recording studio lately. I have a nice computer already, but plan on buying what I need in pieces next. What is the first piece I should buy? I'm kind of newish to this.
Interface would be a good start. We need more info on what you want to accomplish, what gear you have and what you are willing to spend.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Well I would need to be able to record one or two guitars, a bass, drums, vocals, and probly keyboard. Since this would be a first home recording studio, probly the lower priced stuff would be best, possibly midranged.
A condenser microphone (decent ones around 200$ - goes up to 1000$)
A Mixer
A Pre-amp (only needed if your mixer doesn't have pre-amps)
An Interface OR a decent recording sound card (EMU ones are great for the price)
A pair of monitors

And you're set for a semi-pro recording
Get your credit card polished up if you want to do drums.

You'll need an interface with at least 4 inputs.... better is 8. (start around $250-ish) You'll need a pair of condensors for overheads (at least $100.... easily considerably more), a large diaphragm dynamic for the kick (starts around $200 and goes up considerably from there), and a few basic dynamic mics for snare, toms, etc. (starting at $100 each.)

So, for drums, you're looking at MINIMUM $750 to go on the cheap. That doesn't include stands and cables.

I'm not trying to discourage you - just to point out what you're up against.

Here is my mid-range setup (though many would argue entry level) for a reasonable comparison:
Delta 1010 interface - $600
Behringer UB2442 mixer - $400 (the interface doesn't have built-in preamps)
Overheads - Behringer ECM8000 - $90
Kick - Sennheiser e602 (used) - $200
Snare and toms (SM57 or similar) - $100 x3

Total = $1600.

...and NEVER underestimate the importance of decent monitors. Look around the $500 range - give or take.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
http://www.tweakheadz.com/rigs.htm

It really depends on what you want to do. In any case, prepare to shell out quite a bit. Perhaps the best value is in 8 mike input Firewire interfaces like the Presonus Firestudio, which can easily be expanded and can deliver custom monitor mixes through software routing. One thing that does need to be asked...are you going to record for yourself only, or are you planning on doing mixes for other people as well?
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Also remember that to start with you can use the magic of sampled drums. Learn to notate them. With the right samples, writing and mixing, they can make your tracks sound really killer, and if you're just doing demos, it'll save you a lot of time and money. Something like EzDrummer, Groove Agent, East west has some decent kits, etc. etc.

Don't go all out to start with. Because if you're new to recording etc, you're going to need to spend hundreds of hours in front of your program learning the ins and outs of production. And you will, over time, become really good at what you do. You can always build up gear slowly over time. Start simple. Get a basic mixer, even if it's only one input. You can record guitar through guitar rig. Bass, vocals, all that can be done through this one input. Notate the drums. Spend a lot of time mixing, you can produce damn good results with very little money spent.

Learn to notate if you don't already know how. You can write in synth parts and subtle little things which add a huge level of production value to what you've got. Learn to use VSTs, and collect lots of them.

A lot of people seem to get caught up with buying expensive fancy gear but they don't know how to mix their tracks properly. Start cheap!
Last edited by ChrisBG at Jan 5, 2009,
I totally agree with the above post. Just use samples for drums, and once you're familiar with all the recording process, go on further by buying Microphones for your drum set.