Hey there, i'm fed up of my Ibanez being an absolute bitch to tune up, so i was wondering whats the easiest way of 'disabling' it, so to speak. I've heard of a way which involves putting a block of wood in the back trem cavity, will this keep the trem in place all the time to get rid of the 'floating' function? And will this cause any long term damage to the guitar?
Archbishop of Zeppelinism...

Quote by Beakwithteeth
Get him into blues. Lyrical depth-not so much. But it is groovy and it is black people's music so if he doesn't enjoy then he is not a true black person.

Wood is the cheap easy way to do it, tremolo-no is another option. Although I dont believe floating trems are really THAT difficult to tune maybe the first time learning what your doing but after that its cake.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Tighten the screws at the back on the spring claw all the way into the wood.
It'll give more tension, then you just take out the arm and never use it again.
Tune to desired pitch and your sorted.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Shouldn't cause any damage if you do it right. It also shouldn't be a bitch to tune up unless you're constantly changing string gauges and tunings. It takes me all of 30 minutes to re-string and tune up my RG7420.

A better solution would be a tremol-no, saves time changing strings, setting intonation, and it lets you decide when you want to the trem or not. Looks better than a chunk of wood too.
your title makes it sound like you are trying to disarm a bomb or something. lol. but seriously, if you are that tired of it and want it to look professional, go for the tremelo-no. i've heard good things about them.
My Main Gear

guitars
gibson sg special faded
Fender Stratocaster (turning it into the black strat relic!)
cort stat 2t
ventura (ibanez artcore lawsuit era copy)
'74 alvarez acoustic

amps
peavy transtube express 112
it sounds like you dont know what you are doing.... because its not that hard to tune a floating trem.......

aside from that you could block it with a piece of wood
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Quote by Kingyem0c0re

I think this would wreak havoc on your neck
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Kingyem0c0re

That would just pull the floyd into the body unless it's a flat mount, he's using really thick strings in standard tuning, or his springs aren't very stiff. Horrible idea.

Quote by Lethal Dosage
I think this would wreak havoc on your neck

It wouldn't do anything to your neck though
Quote by JD Red LP
That would just pull the floyd into the body unless it's a flat mount, he's using really thick strings in standard tuning, or his springs aren't very stiff. Horrible idea.

It wouldn't do anything to your neck though

Hmmm Im mistaken then I figured that the ton of added pressure would add extra stress to the neck
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Hmmm Im mistaken then I figured that the ton of added pressure would add extra stress to the neck

Nah, if it was still in standard tuning or whatever tuning the guitar is setup in there wouldn't be any extra tension on the neck, the trem would just be sunk into the body. It's really hard to (almost impossible?) actually damage your neck with string tension.