I just found the most amazing wood (to me at least). I love the way it looks i am just wondering why buckeye burl seems to be a bass guitar wood and not regular guitar. does it have a dark tone or something? also how hard do yall think it would be to get a piece big enough to make a whole guitar out of?
Life is short and hard like a bodybuilding dwarf.
idk about entire guitars, but i've seen tops made from that, and it looked really nice.
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
I know its pretty expensive. Idk about tone, but I would buy enough to do tops with.
Quote by darianivan
I just found the most amazing wood (to me at least). I love the way it looks i am just wondering why buckeye burl seems to be a bass guitar wood and not regular guitar. does it have a dark tone or something? also how hard do yall think it would be to get a piece big enough to make a whole guitar out of?

Is Buckeye a wood in itself then? I know what Burl is, Maple Burl, Walnut Burl etc. Not heard of Buckeye though.
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jan 5, 2009,
yes buckeye is a tree hence a wood.
Quote by darianivan
yes buckeye is a tree hence a wood.

Interesting. Do you know what Family of tree it is from? Any pics/links?

Cheers.
this is a guitar with a buckeye burl laminate.

The genus Aesculus, the buckeyes and Horse Chestnuts, comprises 13-19 species of woody trees and shrubs native to the temperate northern hemisphere, with 6 species native to North America and 7-13 species native to Eurasia; there are also several hybrids. Species are deciduous or evergreen. This genus has traditionally been treated in the ditypic family Hippocastanaceae along with Billia[1], but recent phyloegentic analysis of morphological[2] and molecular data[3] has led to this family, along with the Aceraceae (Maples and Dipteronia), being included in the soapberry family (Sapindaceae).

The North American species are known as buckeyes and the Eurasian species as Horse Chestnuts. Some are also called white chestnut or red chestnut (as in some of the Bach flower remedies. In Britain, they are sometimes called conker trees because of their link with the game of conkers, played with the seeds, also called conkers.
Last edited by darianivan at Jan 5, 2009,
people seem to pay more money for classy looking bass guitars, thats the way it is from a business perspective. buckeye is EXTREMELY soft wood, and most of the burls are found underground, so they are very moist and difficult to dry. its extremely expensive, and i can tell you that you wont find any to purchase if you are a small builder or hobbyist, that **** turns into laminates and gets sold for hundreds of dollars.
yeah it seemed like it but i found some decent stuff online. i think the thickest i found though was 1 inch.
Wow! That is nice.

You say underground, is it partially rotten, such as Spalting?

Being in England, we have a few Horse Chestnut trees...will keep my eye out
I think it would make a beautiful top, you should make one.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
its a thought but there is no way in hell i can do a laminate top for a first build. thats why i was looking for a body blank from buckeye burl. alas it isnt meant to be. now to find a cheap body blank with some character. anybody know where i can find some cheap black limba with some nice streaking?
I bet you LP Addict can help you out.

Check out the two guys in my sig.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by darianivan
its a thought but there is no way in hell i can do a laminate top for a first build. thats why i was looking for a body blank from buckeye burl. alas it isnt meant to be. now to find a cheap body blank with some character. anybody know where i can find some cheap black limba with some nice streaking?

Why couldn't you do a top? It's not very hard if you can build a guitar you can do that. I wouldn't recommend spending a lot on wood for your first build since it is possible you will mess it up and have to start over and you don't want to loose a lot of money because of it. Try ebay for figured wood that's what I do for figured maple since I don't use a lot of it, it's easy to find pieces that are guitar sized of course shipping will cost as much as the wood but that's what happens when you buy wood online.
Quote by darianivan
yeah it seemed like it but i found some decent stuff online. i think the thickest i found though was 1 inch.

Just book match it, should make a nice top.

Quote by darianivan

If you've ever glued two pieces of wood together, you can do this. I've never built a laminate guitar body but I've joined plenty of wood. Just plane the two pieces to the thickness you want, glue and clamp them, then act like it's one piece.