Uh oh the nightmarish thing has just happened to me! I was doing a pull up messin around in the end solo of for whom the bell tolls by metallica and the 5th string broke. Ha i'd been abusing this thing since xmas day and it broke in a week and a half basically so is that a good or bad thing? and im thinking about getting some strings soon that are easy for bending and are for the floyd rose so do u have any suggestions on strings to buy that are cheap? and i might wait for my teacher to help with this since she said she would when it happens. i don't wanna ruin a set of strings over this so i'll wait. BTW its a esp ltd kh-602, very nice guitar, and it has an original floyd.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG-350 YE w/ Super Dist. and PAF pro pups
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
Are you talking about the A string?? HOW DID YOU MANAGE TO BREAK AN A STRING????
Good thing you werent looking down at it when it snapped, might give you a concussion.
Quote by juniorlbj
Gentlemen...

It's fap time!
HOW DID YOU MANAGE TO BREAK AN A STRING????

I got that beat, snapped my e string on my bass at practice one day, though to be fair they were old strings.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
so should i take all the strings off for now or no?
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
never take off all your strings at once because your neck can get messed up that way. then neck needs the tension of the strings so you sould only change one string at a time if you can
NEVER EVER EVER TAKE OFF ALL THE STRINGS AT ONCE ON FLOATING TREMS

just had to emphasize that point dont do it unless you plan to spend hours resetting your trem. Why would you do that anyway just replace the string the broke, retune and your all good.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Lethal Dosage

just had to emphasize that point dont do it unless you plan to spend hours resetting your trem. Why would you do that anyway just replace the string the broke, retune and your all good.

i didn't but i never ever repair just one guitar string because then one string sounds great and the others dead. But for now i only took off the one string im waiting till wednesday till i can fix this all with my teacher. plus i don't even have strings on me so it don't matter do i need special strings?
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
Quote by bfredder92
i didn't but i never ever repair just one guitar string because then one string sounds great and the others dead. But for now i only took off the one string im waiting till wednesday till i can fix this all with my teacher. plus i don't even have strings on me so it don't matter do i need special strings?

Well your gonna wanna use the same gauge and brand unless you wanna set it up again for new strings but yeah change them one at a time always.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Good god. Nothing is going to happen if he takes off all the strings at once. Your neck won't twist into a cork screw, it won't bend like a question mark etc. If its a floating trem then just stick a AA battery or a small block of wood or something in the routing cavity underneath the bridge so it stays up, or a block of wood in between the sustain block and body in the back. Mind you theres no need to take off the strings if you break just one and it is easier to string a floating trem one string at a time but stop with this BS myth.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
Good god. Nothing is going to happen if he takes off all the strings at once. Your neck won't twist into a cork screw, it won't bend like a question mark etc. If its a floating trem then just stick a AA battery or a small block of wood or something in the routing cavity underneath the bridge so it stays up, or a block of wood in between the sustain block and body in the back. Mind you theres no need to take off the strings if you break just one and it is easier to string a floating trem one string at a time but stop with this BS myth.

Dude actually I took all the strings off my RG all at once to get a stripped screw out of my trem claw then you know what happened? the springs in the back proceeded to pop out and the trem fell out so no its not a BS myth I spent 3 hours before guitar lessons resetting it back to where it was.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by DSOTM80

ok so i can but i just need something underneath the bridge to hold it up straight and so the trem is at the right place? Sorry i just like having all the strings off so i can clean it and stuff. But for now idk if im takin all of them off.
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Dude actually I took all the strings off my RG all at once to get a stripped screw out of my trem claw then you know what happened? the springs in the back proceeded to pop out and the trem fell out so no its not a BS myth I spent 3 hours before guitar lessons resetting it back to where it was.

So let me get this straight, you took out the screw in the claw then wondered why your springs popped out and the bridge fell out? Be happy you took out the strings otherwise that bridge would of flew off like a bat out of hell
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Jan 5, 2009,
Quote by DSOTM80
So let me get this straight, you took out the screw in the claw then wondered why your springs popped out and the bridge fell out?

No I took all the strings off so that I could remove the screw and replace it then reset the trem
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Did the string break, or did it pop out of the locks on the trem? Is there enough string on the tuning peg to unwind and put back into the lock?

Isn't there some guide on setting FRs (and guitars in general) on this site? Someone needs to add a "common misconceptions" part to it.

Quote by larrythelefty
never take off all your strings at once because your neck can get messed up that way. then neck needs the tension of the strings so you sould only change one string at a time if you can

Sorry, try again

Quote by Lethal Dosage

While it is easier to do one string at a time it doesn't matter that much if you do all the strings at once. As long as you're not messing with string gauges and you don't screw the springs further into the body you'll be fine. You people talk about setting up floyds like it's some sort of life-threatening experience
Quote by JD Red LP
Did the string break, or did it pop out of the locks on the trem? Is there enough string on the tuning peg to unwind and put back into the lock?

Isn't there some guide on setting FRs (and guitars in general) on this site? Someone needs to add a "common misconceptions" part to it.

Sorry, try again

While it is easier to do one string at a time it doesn't matter that much if you do all the strings at once. As long as you're not messing with string gauges and you don't screw the springs further into the body you'll be fine. You people talk about setting up floyds like it's some sort of life-threatening experience

It kinda is lmao
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by alkalineweeman
I got that beat, snapped my e string on my bass at practice one day, though to be fair they were old strings.

I can beat that, I snapped both the A and D strings during the same dive bomb on the way up
Quote by Lethal Dosage
It kinda is lmao

I did cut my finger pretty bad first time I setup the one on my RG7. Damn high e didn't stay in the locks while I was stretching it
Quote by Lethal Dosage
No I took all the strings off so that I could remove the screw and replace it then reset the trem

Wait... so you took off the strings to remove the screw...

But left the springs in? No wonder they flew off.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Wait... so you took off the strings to remove the screw...

But left the springs in? No wonder they flew off.

Well I was new to FR figured I could remove all the strings at once but I was sadly mistaken
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
As someone has stated above the guitars basic setup will NOT be affected with all the strings off. I've done this hundreds of times and this needs to be done every now and then for cleaning and maintainence. If the same guage of string is refitted to the guitar once they are nicely bedded in the guitar should have the same setup it had before the strings came off.
94 Epi LP. Thin 335 style neck Schaller locking tuners Dimarzio PAF PRO (bridge) Gibson 57 re-issue (neck)
Wait a minute, that mess of notes at then of whom the bell tolls is considered a solo?

To contribute, just take that string off, do not replace them all at once i repeat DO NOT
Quote by The Spoon
I think this man wins the thread.

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.
Quote by Pac_man0123
That has nothing to do with it

Taking out a screw that's holding springs down is just stupid.

Well basically I hadnt even touched the screw yet but the strings popped out cause of the complete loss of tension.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by tsukoyomimoon
Wait a minute, that mess of notes at then of whom the bell tolls is considered a solo?

To contribute, just take that string off, do not replace them all at once i repeat DO NOT

well kinda i was playing along with the live version in 1989 and its better than the record version it has lost of trem vibrato and dive bombs and apparently my vibrato on the bar was too much and the string broke after a huge amount of pull ups lol so yea its fun to play though.
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
Yeah... you can remove necks from bodies entirely.

Provided they won't be off for more than a few days, otherwise you should lossen the truss rod.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Can you take all the strings off at once if you have a tremol-no in the hardtail position or a block of wood or something in the back?