I didn't think that it was very punk at all. It's FAR too laid back.

It's exactly the same principle as paying a prostitute for an action-packed rough f*ck but getting a massage from a little old arthiritic oriental woman instead.
Quote by original=punk
Most jazz in itself is very punk.

Kenny G excluded. That piece of **** sucks.

Kenny G can S my D!

(c wut i did ther)
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Not if it's a jazz bass. Onlythe small minded use things for their intended use.

I ocasionally slide across the fretboard with a battery to make a mooing sound, am I still cool?
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Quote by original=punk
Greg Ginn, he does sick jazz-punk stuff.

I´ve heard that often, I also use that as an argument when people say punk musicians are stupid, though I won´t call it jazzy myseld, just because he uses dissonances and some strange scales he´s not a jazz musician
Greg Ginn does not do "jazz-punk stuff". Like lavazza said, he's dissonant, but there's nothing about his playing that resembles jazz guitar.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by the glue man
I've been trying to get into jazz lately. Anyone ever heard of Sun Ra? Punk rock jazz musician.

He's weird, from what I heard. He's more like a precursor to electronic music than jazz.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Quote by RizzoWashburn
Greg Ginn does not do "jazz-punk stuff". Like lavazza said, he's dissonant, but there's nothing about his playing that resembles jazz guitar.

I have 4 of his current band's albums. All 4 are different types of punked up JAZZ. Sometimes texas swing, jam band, etc.
http://www.myspace.com/txcorrugators
http://www.myspace.com/jambangmusic
http://www.myspace.com/gonethemusic
http://www.myspace.com/mojackmusic

I know my Greg Ginn stuff.
Punked up jazz? Sorry, no.

I'm not denying that Greg Ginn plays jazz, as it seems you assumed. I'm denying that he plays "jazz-punk" as his jazz work is exclusively jazz based and his punk work is exclusively punk based.

So let me reiterate: Greg Ginn does not play "jazz-punk".
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by RizzoWashburn
Punked up jazz? Sorry, no.

I'm not denying that Greg Ginn plays jazz, as it seems you assumed. I'm denying that he plays "jazz-punk" as his jazz work is exclusively jazz based and his punk work is exclusively punk based.

So let me reiterate: Greg Ginn does not play "jazz-punk".

Have you heard a traditional jazz player play with the ferocity (best word I guess, i'm tired) he plays with?

Even jazz-fusion doesn't sound this rocky.
Quote by lavazza
Jazz punk is a weird genre anyway, the closest I´d say is trivial......Television, since they often use dorian scales, have a simple "topic" as rhythm guitar and a bass.......though also in this case it doesn´t really fit both genres

I can't think of any Television songs that use dorian scales.
A mode is a type of scale. Modal music is different from key-based music. One can solo using a modal scale whether or not the song is modal.
Quote by werty22
I can't think of any Television songs that use dorian scales.

The Friction tab on UG, seems to be good, and the riff, where he goes down, that´s I think a good example, furthermore I´m not perfectly sure, but I think the solo of Prove it is dorian
There's a scale run with a sharp sixth at the beginning of Friction, so I guess that could count. I don't remember any dorian stuff in Prove It, but maybe I'm wrong. They use mixolydian scales more often though.
Yeah, I've always thought of Television as a primarily mixolydian-using band
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by lavazza
mixolydian is a typical bigband solo scale I think, so at least it counts as "jazzpunk" (a genre which doesn´t really exist for me)

I see mixolydian moreso in fusion than I do in "bigband" pieces.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by RizzoWashburn
I see mixolydian moreso in fusion than I do in "bigband"
pieces.

I play bass in a big band I have two good friends playing the sax there on the top of the sheets there´s always the scales the propose to imrpovise and every second says mixolydian, though to be honest we don´t play so much swing
Hmm, interesting. I'll admit that I don't play much big band music but what I have played I don't recall using mixolydian.

Ah well
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by RizzoWashburn
Hmm, interesting. I'll admit that I don't play much big band music but what I have played I don't recall using mixolydian.

Ah well

shhhh....don´t tell the others, but I play whatever comes under my fingers in that band.......I can make it sound really jazzy
haha, yeah, my gutiar teacher told me that if I'm doing a improv jazz solo, and I get lost, for forget the chord change, then play chromatically till you find the note. It actually works well.