What would the name of this chord be? I'm thinking its a C#7 but there's no five.
The notes are C#-F-B-C#

e|--X--|
b|--2--|
G|--4--|
D|--3--|
A|--4--|
E|--X--|

thanks!
it's ok to omit the 5th.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
You answered ur own question.

It's a C#7 chord.

Technical it's called a C#7(no 5th).

This is perfectly acceptable, cause a 5th doesn't play a key role in the harmony (Unlike the 3rd and the 7th)

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Thanks, I figured it would be find to omit the fifth but I looked it up and couldn't find it so I just thought I'd be sure.

Also, I know all the technical stuff (Like F should be E#) but I hate enharmonic spellings and find the easiest ways to read the sharps/flats is by using C#, Eb, F, F#, G#, Bb, C. I've also become accustomed to Ab but G# is preferred. Its just so much easier that way.
^ curiously, I similarly seem to prefer spelling notes as sharps, rather than as flats. I don't really know why.
I also prefer sharps... I don't really ever write flats. I never actually thought about it, though... and I am the type who would!
Quote by Jpoole
Thanks, I figured it would be find to omit the fifth but I looked it up and couldn't find it so I just thought I'd be sure.

Also, I know all the technical stuff (Like F should be E#) but I hate enharmonic spellings and find the easiest ways to read the sharps/flats is by using C#, Eb, F, F#, G#, Bb, C. I've also become accustomed to Ab but G# is preferred. Its just so much easier that way.

But it's incorrect to call it C# F B C# if you're going to call it a C#7. A C# chord, by definition, must contain a C# and an E# if being written.
Quote by Jpoole
but there's no five.

i laughed at this
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all