So I've been browsing around on Musician's Friend and I noticed that the SG Standard is $1,650. If i recall these were $1,100 2 years ago as I was considering purchasing one. It seems as though they are raising the price $50 every other month or so. Anyone know the reason for this? I really don't think they should be any more than $1,500.

Oh well, at least I have my LP
Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Greendayguitar, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.

-Gibson LP Classic
-Fender American Standard Strat
-Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
-Peavey XXX w/Marshall Cab
well probably because Gibson are moneygrabbing bastards
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
It's because of the current worldwide economic problems...

...have you been living a box for the past few months?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Dopey_Trout

+1
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead
nah more than that a few years ago they were 999.00. yeah the price hike is insane though
Quote by ChemicalFire

Yea let's raise the price when no one has money to buy them in the first place. GJ Gibson
Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Greendayguitar, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.

-Gibson LP Classic
Quote by Dopey_Trout

Because absolutely no one else is raising there prices. Not Ibanez, not Fender...
Quote by Dopey_Trout

this is coming from a guy with a prs

have you seen the news recently?
Equipment:
PRS SE custom Cherryburst
dean razorback V (green/black) currently on ebay
Digitech Death metal pedal [wanting to sell - £15]
Zoom G1X [wanting to sell - £25]
Line6 UX1 (with metal shop add on)
Quote by ChemicalFire

I agree.

I'm more inclined to believe that Gibson is hiking the prices up because of worldwide economic issues. I know Gibson already charges way too much for a guitar, but I think this time it's probably monetary problems intertwined with a labor shortage or something.

my two cents.
Gear:

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard
- Saga LP Copy
- Godin Seagull Acoustic
- Roland Cube 60
- Fender G-Dec
- Jim Dunlop Crybaby
- Guitar Rig 2
Quote by mosherhamish
this is coming from a guy with a prs

have you seen the news recently?

think you will find PRS are better value for money than Gibson since they actually have QC, make good guitars, don't feel the need to up their prices every second week and haven't been living off a reputation for the last 10 years
Quote by fleajr_1412

another good example is the sg special faded. last year around this time you could have had one of those for $579, nowadays they go for $900.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Last edited by mikeyElite at Jan 5, 2009,
Quote by Floydian45
I agree.

I'm more inclined to believe that Gibson is hiking the prices up because of worldwide economic issues. I know Gibson already charges way too much for a guitar, but I think this time it's probably monetary problems intertwined with a labor shortage or something.

my two cents.

When u think about it they don't really charge that much for LP's. Considering they are a top brand so you are paying for the name. They are manufactured in the U.S. so no cheap labor. And they are good quality.

-Gibson LP Classic
Figuring I'm a fairly recent in the guitar learning and stuff, I never noticed... but it does seem like it going by what I've been hearing. I remember a guy at the store saying how picks used to be a whole lot cheaper but since guitar picks are made out of petroleum... prices went up along with the gasoline.

Does anyone think it will go back down again?
Quote by Dopey_Trout
think you will find PRS are better value for money than Gibson since they actually have QC, make good guitars, don't feel the need to up their prices every second week and haven't been living off a reputation for the last 10 years

they may be better value for money, but they still ain't worth the price
Equipment:
PRS SE custom Cherryburst
dean razorback V (green/black) currently on ebay
Digitech Death metal pedal [wanting to sell - £15]
Zoom G1X [wanting to sell - £25]
Line6 UX1 (with metal shop add on)
Quote by schecter1971
When u think about it they don't really charge that much for LP's. Considering they are a top brand so you are paying for the name. They are manufactured in the U.S. so no cheap labor. And they are good quality.

I suppose you are right. LP's are nicely built and will last a long time. When I meant labor shortage I didn't necessarily mean cheap labor. That's why I think Gibson is hiking up the prices now. It's harder and more expensive to find good workers that are qualified enough to make reliable guitars.
Gear:

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard
- Saga LP Copy
- Godin Seagull Acoustic
- Roland Cube 60
- Fender G-Dec
- Jim Dunlop Crybaby
- Guitar Rig 2
They have gone up faster than the current rate of inflation. I think the problem is they are selling less so need to make up the money by raising the prices high than need be. Now they can sell a few % less of the product but keep the profit high. These less expensive guitars that perform well are killing the high end sales. I vist several music shops on a regular basis I am friends with most of the managers and they say the high end guitar sales have dropped drastically in the last couple years.

John
Quote by mosherhamish
they may be better value for money, but they still ain't worth the price

i'd still fork out the money for a PRS way before a Gibson
Quote by fleajr_1412

johnro6659 has a good point. Its easier to find a decent guitar under $1000. But I think also the high end guitar sales going down has to do with inflation. Does anyone have an idea of how much it costs the company to actually make a gibson?
Quote by Chaos Nil
Does anyone have an idea of how much it costs the company to actually make a gibson?
I can't say for sure - please do not think I'm saying this as 100% hard fact - but having seen the books for a couple of local stores and having dealt with distributors myself a couple of times, I can tell you that a guitar that cost £2600 on the store shelf cost between £800 and £900 for the store to buy in from the distributor, and the distributor buys them in from the maker with a helluva markup too. I've witnessed distributor markups between 23% and as much as 62%. Gibson's is particular bad, if I recall it correctly it was something in the 40% ballpark. Of course Gibson have now changed their distributor and they've had to hike their production prices because of the materials cost increase (which is the core reason behind the price hike apparently - not labour) so it might be different now, but back a year or so when I was deep in the loop, the distributor was definitely adding a markup over 40%. So you're looking at Gibson selling them to the distributor at around £480 or less, and you consider that they have to make profit within that £480, pay workers and so forth, so there's not actually that much left over for the actual production costs of each guitar. I wouldn't want to put a precise figure on it, but I have a hard time believing that it costs Gibson any more than a couple of hundred pounds to make each guitar.

Bear in mind though this was all before all the economic problems. also my figures look really cheap for Americans, but back then there was nearly two dollars for every pound, so if Gibson made a guitar for £180 let's say, that'd actually be nearly $360, which suddenly doesn't seem so bad.

Then you factor in the problems we have now, the value of the pound has dropped significantly which has effected the world economy more than the value of the dollar believe it or not, and yadda yadda more boring economical stuff here yadda yadda tax yadda yadda money yadda yadda wood prices yadda yadda supply and demand yadda yadda EU yadda yadda.

Long story short: the cost to make a Gibson is a fraction of the price it's sold for in a shop. It's still at least a few hundred though, and when you consider the skill and time it takes to make such an instrument, I believe it is worth it. Even though to be honest most Gibsons made these days are awful.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.