OK, well I'm looking to buy smaller tube amp for home practice, as my HRD and even my Crate V18 are too loud. (and you know, GAS too) I'm looking for something that I can push a little harder at not as high volumes.

So, the Vox AC15 looks good. 1x12 Speaker and 15 watts. Seems pretty good.

How would this be as a practice amp? Also suggest other small TUBE amps. Not really looking for a SS amp BTW.
What music are you going to be playing? Budget?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
You wont be able to even crank a 5 watt tube amp at home, I learned that yet again today at 15 watts (15 watts is very close to 5 watts in percieved volume). My mom heard my amp at the mailbox when I was downstairs, in my room, shut door, speaker facing a "wall", at half volume.

15 watts WILL NOT be crankable at home, unless you live in the country or still havent left that rock you're under
Last edited by jarudy at Jan 5, 2009,
a tiny terror would be a good alternative to the ac15 since they are both british voiced and the tiny terror has a 15/7 watt switch. also the blackheart handsom devil or little giant.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Quote by funkymonkz
a tiny terror would be a good alternative to the ac15 since they are both british voiced and the tiny terror has a 15/7 watt switch. also the blackheart handsom devil or little giant.

I have an Orange TT and it was on 15 watt (7 watt is pretty much the same volume, just a little darker) and I had my amp at 11 o clock with the gain at 4 o clock at my neighboors would have heard it across the street, inside their homes.

EDIT: The orange TT is really only good if you crank it, which isnt always do-able in a neighboorhood. Check out the Egnater Rebel, better than the TT in almost every way.
Last edited by jarudy at Jan 5, 2009,
Perhaps you could consider an attenuator instead? Keep your amps tone, but cut the volume...
I'd look at an amp with a built in attenuator...

Egnater Rebel is a 20 watt amp that can be, with the use of a simple knob, switch all the way down to 1 watts... to keep some saturation, but less volume.
Ok, say I bought a Hotplate Attenuator. Could I bring down the volume of my Hot Rod Deluxe to achieve tube saturation at a relatively low volume? Without sacrificing tone?
^ haven't tried it myself, but from what i hear, no. it'll let you get power tube saturation at lower levels, but the more you attenuate, the more it's going to affect the tone, as a lot of the tone is simply volume, the speaker being pushed, etc. etc.

Quote by jarudy
You wont be able to even crank a 5 watt tube amp at home, I learned that yet again today at 15 watts (15 watts is very close to 5 watts in percieved volume). My mom heard my amp at the mailbox when I was downstairs, in my room, shut door, speaker facing a "wall", at half volume.

15 watts WILL NOT be crankable at home, unless you live in the country or still havent left that rock you're under

+1

if the crate v18 is too loud, the ac15 will be too loud too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by supergerbil
Perhaps you could consider an attenuator instead? Keep your amps tone, but cut the volume...

It does not keep your same tone, anything that your signal passes through in your chain will effect how it sounds, this is very much so true with attenuators.

When the speaker is pushing lots and lots of air while the tube amp is cranked, it will sound great.

When you have the same cranked sound with much air moving, it wont sound the same due to the air pressure differencials (<-sp?) and the fact that the tone isnt being carried through the air the same.
an AC15 will be as loud as your crate

look for 10-15w but more importantly an 8 or 10 inch speaker
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Ok, thanks a lot for all the help so far guys!

K, so The Egnater Rebel has a built in 1-20 Watt knob. Very convient, but I guess it would still affect my tone.

How is the Rebel voiced?

And it is only a head, so I'm thinking: How would the Rebel head with the V18's speakers sound? It wouldn't be that hard to wire, I could probably even use the V18s reverb.

How's that sound?
The AC15 has a very good post-phase inverter master volume, I think it's a reasonable choice for what you want to do. It sounds much better to me at low volumes than the V18 does.
You're not going to get power tube saturation with anything at bedroom levels, except maybe a Zvex nano or a heavily attenuated 5W amp. Heavy attenuation is something to generally be avoided though.
^ that's possible (the good PPIMV), i was just referring to the cranked sound.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Roc8995
The AC15 has a very good post-phase inverter master volume, I think it's a reasonable choice for what you want to do. It sounds much better to me at low volumes than the V18 does.
You're not going to get power tube saturation with anything at bedroom levels, except maybe a Zvex nano or a heavily attenuated 5W amp. Heavy attenuation is something to generally be avoided though.

This.

I can get a nice overdrive at really low levels with the master volume.

Go test an AC15 out though, it doesn't have too much gain on tap. You might have to get an OD if you want more dirt.
Ok, so the general consenses is that there is none.

I've heard good/bad things from all the amps I've had in mind. Right now, in my mind: (from this thread)

1.) AC15
2.) Egnater Rebel
3.) Orange TT (Not sure though..)

So, my question again: Could I successfully use the AC15 as a good practice amp at low volumes?

Thanks.

EDIT: ^^ I have a Son of Hyde Distortion pedal right now, I know OD are better with tube amps, but until I get a nice OD, I can use the Hyde.
Last edited by ML_Guitar09 at Jan 5, 2009,
I've got an Egnater Rebel...really incredible amp head, I must say. And when used in conjunction with my Tubescreamer, I get some REALLY incredible blues, rock, and even metal tones with humbuckers. I highly recommend it, although I have heard great things about the AC15 also. IMO, the Tiny Terror is a little too muddy, especially compared to the Egnater! Try 'em all out, see which you like the best!
i get pretty good tones on my Tiny terror with out getting too loud, but thats relative, and since ive gotten it my perception of whats loud has changed. i can get good crunch settings with the volume about 50%, but i still for my night time practice use my Vox Valvetronix. I guess your best bet would be the Egnater, ive never personally tried them, but ive heard good things and the built in attenuator sounds like it's what your looking for. And if your not sure about the Ac15, go and try one out, none of us can tell us whats too loud you got to find out for yourself, bc as i said loudness is relative. thats my 2 cents, good luck with your search
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
You could get a Blackheart Killer Ant.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
I really like the AC15 but you could get a really nice amp if you sold your others and put all the money together. Just saying
Quote by ML_Guitar09
Could I successfully use the AC15 as a good practice amp at low volumes?

Yes.