Whats everyone's opinion of using a royal 8 as a main amp. I play mostly rock and need something quieter than my epi valve standard.
There's a review of it in the Valveking Thread on the first page. I've never used one, so I can't really comment.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
If its 8 watt tube, good luck cranking it. VK's are **** imo, so many people say to swap speaker and tubes, yet if you were to replace the speaker and tubes in almost any amp it would sound a lot better than before.
i doubt there's much point, to be honest. why do you need it quieter? do you need more overdrive? you'd be better buying a higher wattage amp with more pre-amp gain available and a better master volume, if you ask me. (i haven't tried the valve special, though, but i'm assuming the problem is that it doesn't have enough pre-amp gain)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well right now I have to keep my 15 watt valve standard pretty low on the volume when I play in my dorm room. I feel that with the lower wattage I'll be able to really take advantage of the tubes, plus the valve standard is a beast size wise for a practice amp. I am open to suggestions however and I don't really want to go used for several reasons.
If u want something that sounds good at low volume, buy a solid state amp, tubes only gte good wen they heat up, (loud) so buy a 15-30 watt ss amp,
It will be too loud to get the amp really singing, five watt tube amps cranked are not that quiet.
Quote by johnsmith175
If u want something that sounds good at low volume, buy a solid state amp, tubes only gte good wen they heat up, (loud) so buy a 15-30 watt ss amp,
No.

Quote by jarudy
If its 8 watt tube, good luck cranking it. VK's are **** imo, so many people say to swap speaker and tubes, yet if you were to replace the speaker and tubes in almost any amp it would sound a lot better than before.
It's nothing like a normal valveking. It's a 5w SE tube combo amp, 8" speaker, with tone (and maybe gain?) control similar to a lot of the 5w tube amps out. It's only a valveking in name.

Quote by stujomo
It will be too loud to get the amp really singing, five watt tube amps cranked are not that quiet.
Very much agreed, especially as you have to crank or use an external OD pedal to even get any gain which may not be a similar situation to your valve standard which I believe has controls such as gain etc.

Just use your current amp.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
My old valve junior and my Traynor YCV20 are a pain to use at regular volume levels. When others are at home trying to watch tv I turn them down and use an overdrive pedal to fake the overdriven sound. Lately I have been thinking to get a micro cube as an simple solution
Quote by MrCarrot
No.

It's nothing like a normal valveking. It's a 5w SE tube combo amp, 8" speaker, with tone (and maybe gain?) control similar to a lot of the 5w tube amps out. It's only a valveking in name.

Very much agreed, especially as you have to crank or use an external OD pedal to even get any gain which may not be a similar situation to your valve standard which I believe has controls such as gain etc.

Just use your current amp.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the help i guess ill just stick with what i have maybe get a distortion pedal
Or buy an attenuator.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals