so me and a drummer are starting a band
the problem is, all the bass players i know either want to play metal or 'hardcore' which is really not what we want to do

so do you guys think i should keep searching for another bass player, or have one that i know join the band and compromise the sound that me and the drummer are looking for?

if it matters, we will be doing punkish kind of stuff
(along the lines of screeching weasel, alkaline trio, rancid, joy division)
Get a bass player.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Just my opinion but I don't see the difference between and a punk and a metal bassist ^^

I'd just ask one to join regardless.
ask one to join, but make sure he knows it's not gonna be all his genre all the time. say that outright, and you should be cool. if you don't wanna compromise, then just write songs with the drummer and keep looking. you never know when the perfect bassist will fall into your lap
Try em out. Maybe one of them is just what you're looking for. Metal and punk aren't exactly that far off anyways.
Don't Compromise on any members of a band, I live were everybody plays metal. So we had to go with a metal drummer and it was horrible. He always was like lets play this metal song or some other song. And they will want to turn your band into metal it's like a disease so wait for the bassist and get one that likes the same genre.
Check Out My songs
Empty
Cardboard Steel

Quote by GrisKy
i think carmen electra would be a good band leader. i'd stay in the band just 'cause she's hot.
How about you play the bass and just get another guitar player, they are like cockroaches them guitar players.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
I'd be surprised if you couldn't cajole at least one of those hardcore bassists into playing straight up punk.
Quote by Superstrat101
Tell em the truth, Metal originated from Punk.

shouldnt be too hard to convert one. or get another guitarist and switch him or you to bass. shouldnt be too hard to catch on.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Metal and Hardcore both originated from punk. Honestly, you and the drummer compromising wouldn't even be a true compromise, since you're still staying within the same basic genre of music. Sure, it'll be a little different, but you have to make small compromises with any band you're in. I think it's absolutely impossible to find a full band that has the exact same tastes in music.

Show the bassist The Misfits. They were a HUGE impact on many metal bands. Metallica even did a cover of Last Caress.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by frigginjerk
ask one to join, but make sure he knows it's not gonna be all his genre all the time. say that outright, and you should be cool. if you don't wanna compromise, then just write songs with the drummer and keep looking. you never know when the perfect bassist will fall into your lap

your band is quite good actually, so that makes me choose your advice as the best

exactly what frigginjerk said.