I'm in the mood for some good folk music, something with good guitar would be nice but not necessary, something with a mandolin would also be nice to hear. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
"Frontier Ruckus" is an amazing folk band they use harmonica and banjo, another good folk type of band is frightened rabbit
Some folky bands I very much enjoy:
Fairport Convention
Steeleye Span
Lunasa
Flook
Bellowhead
Spiers & Boden
Seth Lakeman

none of it's strictly traditional, but it's great stuff.
for cool mandolin stuff check out the songs "Birch White" and "A Desolation Song" by Agalloch. More neofolk than folk, but again, great stuff.
Quote by Shpongled
The Wood Brothers are worth checking out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upn7EDWqNxI

I love you for posting them. I'm so glad I'm not the only one in the world who has heard of them, they're absolutely fantastic.

Also for more folk look at Bob Dylan, Abigail Washburn and the Sparrow Quartet, Nick Drake, Jenny Lewis, and more that I can't think of right now.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
My favourite folks artists include:

Alison Krauss (kinda bluegrassy)
The Be Good Tanya's (also kinda bluegrassy but very talented and original!)
Bonnie Raitt (some older stuff is more folky then newer)
Brandi Carlile (her voice makes me cry!)
Cat Stevens
Crosby Stills and Nash (and Young)
Dixie Chicks (their Home album especially for some great folk songs..with mandolin!)
Emmylou Harris (the Queen!)
Gillian Welch (also kinda bluegrassy)
Indigo Girls
James Taylor (GREAT guitar songs!)
Joan Baez
Joni Mitchell
Mama's and the Papa's
Neil Young
Patty Griffin (amazing songwriter, singer and guitar player)
Shawn Colvin
Tracy Chapman
Ray La Montagne
Bob Dylan
KT Tunstall

If you want great older stuff listen to Pete Seeger, Woodie Guthrie, Peter Paul and Mary and the ones mention above like Joan Baez and Bob Dylan...the greats!

Hope this helps..folk music is one of the best genres around!
Kingston Trio, big band from the folk revival in the 60's. See also Peter, Paul, and Mary.
12 fret fury
Not really folk per say but Eddie Vedder's Into the Wild is a great ****ing record. REALLY Relaxing.
Last edited by fattypumbaa at Jan 10, 2009,