Forgive me for the stupid question....I am self teaching myself guitar, and currently have an Epi Les Paul Ultra, and play through a Fender Champ 600 amp. I am very happy with my set-up, just looking to add so-to-say to what I currently have.

I am thinking of picking up a MIM Strat near the end of this month, and I'm wondering if the sound is different compared to the Les Paul. I realize it's going from humbuckers, to single coil, just wondering what the difference would be. I mostly like to play rock/classic rock such as Clapton, Floyd..etc. I know that I should simply go to the shop and just try it out myself to see, but I always like to get opinions from others as well.

A local guitar shop sells Strats for about $425, but that includes a full set-up before leaving the store. (as my budget is, this is my ideal price range).

Thanks for any info, it is appreciated.
Gear-
MIM Strat Standard
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Fender Champion 600 amp
Seagull Coastline S6 GT
They have different scale lengths, so the strat will sound more treble-y and have more twang. Also, its made with different wood. The ultra is chambered while the strat is a solid body, so the strat will not be as warm as the LP
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
different types of pickups
different woods
different construction methods
set neck vs bolt on
different bridge styles
different scale lengths
different control setups

and so many more . . . they are not similar guitars :p
single coils are wayy different from humbuckers. They've got a brighter cleaner tone to them. Great for blues, classic rock etc. and dont sound half bad distorted either. but like the guy above said the scale is longer on the strat so be prepared for a slightly longer neck and frets.
Quote by werty22
P0nx don't even play instruments. P0nx sold their instruments for booze money. And they sold their booze for heroin money.

Mesa Gear Fund- $350/ $2,000
Quote by shoolocomous
different types of pickups
different woods
different construction methods
set neck vs bolt on
different bridge styles
different scale lengths
different control setups

and so many more . . . they are not similar guitars :p

Sums it up. Saying one is better is totally different. They're good and bad for different reasons.
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
I kind of figured it was a silly question to ask, never realized there were so many differences...
Gear-
MIM Strat Standard
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Fender Champion 600 amp
Seagull Coastline S6 GT
Quote by Hoggle
I kind of figured it was a silly question to ask, never realized there were so many differences...

Variety is the spice of life. It's good to have both around depending on what you are in the mood for. After time you will want a tele and a semi hollow too - so be ready for that! As said they are totally different in nearly every way, but both have positives and negatives.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The strat is a very trebly guitar and an LP is very bassy. Strat is much more comfy to play IMO. Its got a nice cutaway at the back that feels great while you play sitting down. If you change the pickups (even just the bridge pickup) in the strat it can sound fairly metal too.
Quote by Hoggle

At least on UG you'll make an idiot of you self anonymously
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
Ok when you said you were self teaching yourself guitar, I couldn't help but wonder... "As opposed to self teaching someone else?"

With that out of my system, I can tell you that the strat will be better for blue and southern rock, as well as having a completely different feel to it while you play.

No one on UG can describe the tones accurately, you simply need to play it.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Total opposites would be the best description. I'd say the similarities end with both having a fretboard, strings, and magnetic pickups.