Just rented a bass and amp to try see if i like it before i buy. I'm tryin to slap a bit, but when i hit the strings i just hear the string hitting the fret board. Do you only slap it lightly? what am i doing wrong?
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Wampler Triple Wreck Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
you gotta let your thumb bounce off of the string, try not to stab at it, just give it just enough of a whack to get the slap sound and then bounce it off of the string.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Quote by tomsy49
Just rented a bass and amp to try see if i like it before i buy. I'm tryin to slap a bit, but when i hit the strings i just hear the string hitting the fret board. Do you only slap it lightly? what am i doing wrong?

^^ yes. slap the living crap out of it. You will hear a click of the string against the fretboard. This is normal. If you dont hear the actual note, your not slapping hard enough. Its going to sound terrible for about 6-12 months, depending on how often you play. You arent going to be "Flea" so to speak your first week, month, or year.
yeah try and let your thumb go limp when your slapping. try looking on you tube for some slapping lessons too. might help some.
once i plugged it into the amp and turned it up it sounded okay
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
Quote by Cobalt Blue
yeah try and let your thumb go limp when your slapping. try looking on you tube for some slapping lessons too. might help some.

my whole hand tenses when I play slap, and I can play pretty fast.
try this though, you will get it much quicker than slap (which can be found many nice tips for in the searchbar)
G-----------------------
D-------------------7-7
A---------4-4-7-7-----
E----5-5---------------x2
then move it to a higher string
then go back. if you like jazz or any nice old school songs, this will be much better and satisfying, and much closer to what you'd play anyway.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by rrskater007
u can rent a bass + amp???

yup. just don't break it, or the store luthier will be quite pissed.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
ya the long and mcquade in my city rents anythign you need really. They even rent out any brand new pedals they have in stock..... (also why i don't purchase pedals there) but i might get into bass a bit. I'm really diggin it. Learned schism by tool and take the power back by rage (intro's anyhow) in about an hour. I think playing guitar help with fretting but i'm by no means an all star yet
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4