Anyone got a good guitar "workout" for practicing? Right now I drill all the modes, pentatonics, and scales, then alternate picking practice. Any other handy tips?
check stuff like the spider, and start transcribing songs you like by ear!
some of the best practise ever!
then once youve done that,
go and tab the song the way you hear it, ull gain an appreciation for all sorts of things you just dont learn by hitting scales and reading pre tabbed songs
Epiphone SG G-400 faded
Fender Strat
Fender Frontman amp
**Dream Guitar**
Fender telecaster '58 heavy relic in blonde

"its in the key of D minor, i find songs in this key makes people want to weep."
"its called Lick My Love Pump"
Last edited by raymo39 at Jan 5, 2009,
hows your left hand technique - especially pinky. Or right/left hand co-ordination? how are you on chords / chord changing, im not talking about simple chords either because even if you dont play that type of jazzy chordy stuff it will help you a lot. give me some more detail and i maybe able to help you. what skill level you at?
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
yes, more info about skills/style is needed. Best to get a teacher, but UG can solve all sorts of problems
To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true.

use a metronome
that helps
im not sure but i heard that practicing with a metronome for 1/2 is like practising for an hour and 1/2 without one.
but yeah
This next band asked me to read this 'Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Molly Hatchet all had sex and now please welcome their two-headed baby 'Tenacious D '

myspace.com/dinosaur_sandwich
yeah i'm in a music theory class so transcribing is easy, I have a good ear, just looking to work on left hand speed so I can move on to sweep picking. pretty good with chord changing, i'm in a progressive band, so lots of odd chords and such. just have trouble with fast solos =[
Okay then thats good
in a prgressive band im assuming your pretty decent already. Try the chromatic scale, first going up to fret 12 from 0 and then going up each string E01234 A01234 D01234 etc if you get me. Really be harsh on yourself and if your little finger moves higher up than your others. and slow it right down. For sweep picking your gonna need all your fingers trained. Also play with a metronome so you dont linger on any of the string changes or note changes. Also learn the boxes of the scales that move up the fret which include small slides so you get better at moving up and down the fretboard. Always when practising these thigns use a metronome and dont gget discouraged. If you find yourslef getting bored or annoyed just play some easy fun tunes.

EDIT: learn the solo from 'kid charlemagne - steely dan' both the main one and outro. It will help you a lot with positioning your fingers and you have to play it very tight without any notes bleeding.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Last edited by charlie__flynn at Jan 5, 2009,
I bought the book Terrifying Technique for Guitar for specific exercises. It hits it all, chromatic exercises, arpeggios, linear scales, box patterns, etc. Its mainly done using C scale and G in a few spots, but you can make up exercises yourself with the different scales based on some of the exercises. I pretty much practice some form of exercise for a good 30 minutes before I move onto theory or learning songs.