Page 1 of 2
Ok, i'm not looking to buy anything, but i was just wondering about this.

I know that there are tons of old guitar brands that no longer exist that were around in the 60's and 70 and that they made some pretty cool and funky guitars. Are there the same sorta company's for tube amps? Meaning, are some old vintage tube amplifiers that i could find for cheap that would sound nifty?

i dont know this question is really answerable easily, but i decided to run it up the flag-pole to see if anyone saluted.

thanks!
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
craigslist??
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
well, just for the heck of it, old tube amps OR solid state
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bjovi400
craigslist??

.... i know where to look but i dont know what to look for. im digging around ebay right now. like i said, i dont want to buy anything. i dont have the money, but i was just looking around and was wondering
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
one brand that is still around that makes killer tube amps is orange,
most of the brands that were around then that arent now is because they werent very good
Epiphone SG G-400 faded
Fender Strat
Fender Frontman amp
**Dream Guitar**
Fender telecaster '58 heavy relic in blonde

"its in the key of D minor, i find songs in this key makes people want to weep."
"its called Lick My Love Pump"
Quote by raymo39
one brand that is still around that makes killer tube amps is orange,
most of the brands that were around then that arent now is because they werent very good

nah, its now a different company with different amps.
dunno if these were around during those times specifically, but Gibson tube amps (Goldtone, etc.), Dr. Z makes some really good vintage type ones, Dumbles (good luck, most expensive amps on the market pretty much if you can even find one), Victoria amps, and of course Fender
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
The brands that have succeeded in living on were the good amps. eg jimi hendrix used a marshall in the 60s. marshall have continued and are very successful to this day. unfortunately the names you dont here any more are names that arent very good unfortunately.
although if looking for a cheap,good sounding tube amp check out bugera 333xl
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
if they were unheard of, no one would know about them to post

+1 to sunn, awesome, but they're hardly obscure.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
The only ones I know of well is Kalamazoo, Danelectro, and Silvertone.
I played a Kalamazoo solidstate, and it sounded pretty nice actually.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by xwearesinking
Sunn!

YYYEEESSSS!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
http://cgi.ebay.com/1967-Traynor-YBA-1-Bass-Master-amp-Bassmaster-vintage_W0QQitemZ280299049447QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_2?hash=item280299049447&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

maybe a little pricey but it's PTP and they sound good. Definitely not unheard of though.

Wow, these things doubled in price the past year. about this time last year I was looking at all kinds selling for 300-400.
Last edited by TubeAmpGuy at Jan 5, 2009,
The YBA-1 is a sweet amp, very Marshall like tone.

There are lot of old vintage tube amps from the '60s and '70s, but truth are, most of them just don't really sound all that great.
In Australia, we had Wasp, who were known as the Australian Marshall (although in reality their tone was probably somewhere between Marshall and Hiwatt). I think (don't quote me) Nick Cave's first band used them for a while.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I friend of mine has a Charlton Reverb amp, I think it is 30watts but could be less. Have anyone heard of them? Got it from his dad
Quote by Say Ocean
Since when are sunn amps old and obscure?

Since they were made the 60's. I don't know how old you are, but feels pretty old to me.

This forum is definitely one the bigger ones out there. How many people have sunn's here? I think I may have seen one or two people besides myself with one.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Dave Gilmour used to use Selmer amps, they fetch quite a lot on ebay for the more desireable models.
Yeah, I believe Marshall stopped making real Parks a while ago.
And yeah, they all got turned into MGs I believe
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Heres a good one ,, its called ,,,,,,,,Ledgend,,,,,,60 watt class a wood cabinet with a bambo like grill like the old boogies. I saw one on Ebay just the other day went for around two hundred bucks. These are likker amps if you can find one. Freakin loud , killer class a clean tones.
you can take old tube pa heads and stereo amps and turn them into sweet guitar amps for dirt cheap.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I'll second the Kalamazoo or old Gibson amps. A friend of mine has a Kalamazoo and a hollow body and it sounds incredible after the tube change and cap job. The old speaker is still performing miracles with tone. I think it's about 40-50 yrs old and it cost him $125 off of craigslist.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Ampeg, Sunn, Matamp, Silvertone, Supro, Magnatone, Guyatone, Harmony, and a few others I can't think of right now for true vintage amps.

Oh, and RCA, Rickenbacker and Gibson. Epiphone made amps way back then, too.
Yeah, I would have said the old gibson amps, but they're fairly well known .
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Yeah, I would have said the old gibson amps, but they're fairly well known .

Not teh amps
I found this one brand on ebay yesterday, called Sovtek. they were made in Russia during the early 90's (yea, totally not the 60's or 70's but heck, it's my thread anyways :p they have two models that i have found so far the Mig-50 and the Mig-100, and from the youtube videos that i have found, sound pretty good
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by chea_man
you can take old tube pa heads and stereo amps and turn them into sweet guitar amps for dirt cheap.

ive heard of this, how might one do it tho?
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by imgooley
Ampeg, Sunn, Matamp, Silvertone, Supro, Magnatone, Guyatone, Harmony, and a few others I can't think of right now for true vintage amps.

Oh, and RCA, Rickenbacker and Gibson. Epiphone made amps way back then, too.

This.
Quote by bored_maniac33
I found this one brand on ebay yesterday, called Sovtek. they were made in Russia during the early 90's (yea, totally not the 60's or 70's but heck, it's my thread anyways :p they have two models that i have found so far the Mig-50 and the Mig-100, and from the youtube videos that i have found, sound pretty good

Yeah< i've played a Sovtek Mig 50. Pretty nice amp.
Quote by chea_man
me and a friend of mine did it to an old tube PA head. it works great.

here is a tutorial for it.
http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/old2new.htm

ah, cool! thanks!!
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
no problem!
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by bored_maniac33

Sovtek is a well known brand.. tubes, big muffs, etc..

Amps aren't so well known. There are many more than two models though, there's also an MIG-60, MIG-30, and then there are the H's also. Like a Sovtek MIG100H is different than an MIG100 (H has more gain I believe).

an MIG50 is my next amp.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Page 1 of 2