Page 1 of 2
the song with only instrumental are good.
The vocals are less good, sing louder

Goodluck
Quote by BasR
the song with only instrumental are good.
The vocals are less good, sing louder

Goodluck

Thanks for the criticism, I appreciate it. I talked to our singer (I play lead guitar) and he said he was "restraining" himself..for what? I don't know Hopefully we'll get that fixed next time we record, and we'll have better quality.
The first riff in your first song is very generic, but it's a cool riff so it's alright. Once the rest of the band comes in the timing is a little iffy with the bass. The bass is also very loud, it drowns out the guitar. The drums are very quiet.

I like the second riff, it would be pretty cool with some Axl Rose style singing (not that that is easy to come by, haha).

The bass in the intro of Pick Your Poison is very off, again. Tell your bassist to practice his timing.

Now as for the singing, your singer is holding back REALLY badly. In this music you NEED to go balls to the wall or else everyone will be able to tell you're pretty much faking it. Really yell those lines, don't half ass them. The voice doesn't sound too bad, it would probably kick ass if you just really went all out with it. No quiet ****.

Anyway, cool band, you guys need some work but you have potential and if your singer just puts his balls into it, he should own.

C4C - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1033681
Hey thanks for the crit. The riff to Dare to Defy seems pretty common but the bass guitar is really awesome in it. Pick Your Poison is good but the vocals a little quiet. Definitely a southern metal sound you've got. Vocals overall could use a little bit of work in them but I can definitely hear their potential.
Vocals were a little weak, and some of the riffs did feel recycled however, i enjoyed your instrumental alot, it had a great groove to it, as did darkness falls.

I was less impressed with pick your poison, it sounded kind of like an 80s thing which was a little overdone, but all in all you've got some groovy riffs

p.s. Thanks for the Crit! =D
Thanks for the crit man, most compliments are "pretty good" or something like that. But you explained why you liked it, and it means a lot. Yeah, I'm using a drum machine and I'm not to good with beats =S.

Anyways, I love all your songs. I started listening and thought of good old classic rock. It really brings back memories. The bass is a little off and a little to loud in some songs, but it doesn't effect the songs to much.

The vocals are pretty good to. Defiantly keeping the "Classic rock" feel. Seems like hes not putting much emotion into it though.

Overall, I love your stuff. I will defiantly keep track of this band.
i listened to dare to defy. ok first, your tone could be meatier and less driven. bass tone was good, and so was the riff, but it was badly off time. overall, i think you guys have a good thing going
Too cool for a signature.
Thanks for the crit man!

I listened to Dare to Defy- I like the song, it flows pretty well. The rhythm guitar and bass sound great. The drums are a bit quiet and muffled, and the lead tone I thought could have been brought up in the mix. There are some good riffs in here, and its paced nicely.

Darkness Falls is heavier and has even better riffage, I'm not really digging the vocals much, but the guitar and drums have an awesome groove going. Again bringing up the lead tone would be nice, its a bit quiet. I'm not so sure about the drum solo, the end of it was cool when it led back into the song. I like the vocal parts that aren't words, they followed a nice melody.

Thieve's Legion had me a little confused at first, but I really liked the faster part. After the break there was another cool guitar part. Good groove after that. I liked the first song better though.

For recording all of this in one take without editing its pretty good. Keep it up!
Dare To Defy;
First riff a little generic?
And the bass drum is a little overwhelming, sounds good though.
Should turn the bass on the guitars a little, cause you're getting that annoying thing where it goes pff when you palm mute.

Darkness Falls;
Like the first riff, the drums still sound a little off though, still good. :P
Vocals sound a little thin and unconfidant and they're mixed a little too quiet.
I like the bit with the aaah ah ah ah ahhhh ahhh :P
Solo sounds good

Pick Your Prison;
The bass sounds a little odd, dunno if thats the sound you're going for though.
Same complaint about the drums, still it's pretty good over all though.

Birth Of The King;
I like the intro, the drums sound better here, the clean guitar sounds a little thin though and the vocals are still a little quiet.

Overall, it's pretty good stuff
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Leave us a comment, we'll get back to you =]
Guitar and drums are great. The bassist needs more practice. These songs remind me of Metallica, sounds awesome.
Thanks for all the comments guys, I appreciate it. Feel free to post a critique c4c and I'll get back to ya for sure (if it already wasn't c4c).
Cool stuff. It has a familiar type sound which is really great to listen to. You guys gigging at all?
Quote by jayr123guitar
Cool stuff. It has a familiar type sound which is really great to listen to. You guys gigging at all?

Trying to, went around town a few days ago giving CDs to a bunch of local pubs/bars that do live music.
update: Myspace now has the band members, pictures will be uploaded within the next week hopefully. We'll also be re-recording at some point in the not-so-distant future and we may be trying out a new singer. Thanks guys.
How did you record this? if you recorded with seperate mics for different instruments, i'd say you should have made the drum and vocal tracks a wee bit louder, but nothing to worry about. Everything sounds pretty damn good. You guys have talent.

Your vocalist reminds me of the lower range of Bruce Dickenson
Quote by Tubyboulin
How did you record this? if you recorded with seperate mics for different instruments, i'd say you should have made the drum and vocal tracks a wee bit louder, but nothing to worry about. Everything sounds pretty damn good. You guys have talent.

Your vocalist reminds me of the lower range of Bruce Dickenson

Yeah, we recorded it with separate mics for all of the instruments. Not in control of the master track atm..it was done in a kind of lower end studio, but we'll go in there again in the near future, and I'll take that into mind. Thanks.
Thanks for the crit. Basically all of the lyrics are finished for the song, just gotta make a pre-chorus and add lyrics for that. As for a band, I'm planning on making a band this year with a pianist, bass, drums and me on guitar.

Not really into hard rock or metal so I don't know if my comment will be very useful.

Darkness Falls - Vocals sounded okay, I liked the guitar riff. The pause in the middle was good, and the solo didn't sound too bad to me.

Pick Your Poison - The guitar in this was better than Darkness Falls. Chorus was nice, probably something that people could sing along to; the part after the chorus was good too.

Birth of the King - The intro to this song definitely got my attention. The vocal melody especially in the verses of your songs sound kinda similar, to avoid that, maybe you could have other band members try to create a melody. I liked the guitar but I didn't really hear anything that stood out a lot.

Speak of the Devil - Didn't really like this one that much, sounded too much like the other songs to me. The 'speak of the devil' parts were okay, but yeah, apart from that it got quite boring.
I had only time for the first song but its pretty cool
like sbd said before its a bit generic but especially when you play it live , no one F**kin' cares^^ one thing i would improve is to add especially in the first some lead things.If you have 2 Guitars then use it

BTW: I was visitor 666 HELLYEAH!
BTW II: thx 4 crit
I listened to Dare to Defy, overall it sounded pretty good, I would try and raise the lead guitar volume a bit, it got a tad repetitive, but was driving enough to keep me listening, I'm going to guess some Motorhead and Judas Priest influences? The ending lead guitar sounded like it lost it a bit, but i think it might have been intended, the drummer can fix up some of his fills here and there, but overall it was pretty good, I'll give the others a listen sometime, although I did start listening to the 2nd track, tell the vocalist not to hold back, and I'm sure he'll to quite well
Quote by khalil1220
I listened to Dare to Defy, overall it sounded pretty good, I would try and raise the lead guitar volume a bit, it got a tad repetitive, but was driving enough to keep me listening, I'm going to guess some Motorhead and Judas Priest influences? The ending lead guitar sounded like it lost it a bit, but i think it might have been intended, the drummer can fix up some of his fills here and there, but overall it was pretty good, I'll give the others a listen sometime, although I did start listening to the 2nd track, tell the vocalist not to hold back, and I'm sure he'll to quite well

Yeah, I didn't realize how low the lead volume was until I got home and listened to it a few days later. We definitely have some Priest influences.. Motorhead, I dunno, but I still love 'em. Yeah, the end was supposed to be crazy. Your cliche "classic rock ending" I guess. Thanks.

BTW guys, if you're lookin' for some heavier stuff, listen to Thieve's Legion. One of the guitars is slightly out of tune in the beginning but that song gets real heavy I promise
Hmm, not bad. Everyone else on the thread has pretty much hit all the weak spots (singing, bad mixing, etc). Especially taking into consideration it was only one take makes it even better.

Suggestions:
-work on vocal harmonies beforehand, make sure they all sound good (sounded like experimentation in pick your poison to me)
-taking time out to tune won't absolutely kill you, but that wasn't a huge problem
-at least have a general outline for the solos (drums included), improv is cool and all, but that is a live performance thing
-try adding a bit more variation to some of the songs
i think this is pretty good so far, would love to hear a more professional recording
-the bassist needs to work on timing a lot
-the vocals should be projected out, as stated the guys voice seems pretty dam good, its just not in your face enough
-i think the guitar tone is for the most part killer, could use some less gain maybe

overall seems pretty dam cool

c4c: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=18236539#post18236539
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Listened to Pick Your Poison, I agree, the vocalist could use some work, but, the music itself is great! The riffs are catchy, and, it's really good for having done in one take. The drums seemed to, er, go a bit crazier than needed, though, at around 3:30, but, all around, minus the vocals, it's great

Thanks for the crit!
Thanks for all these suggestions guys, I can really hear where you're coming from! Thanks, keep 'em coming.
Quote by Say Ocean
Drums sound way too quiet. But the songs themselves are pretty sweet man. Good job

+1
The bass is nicely up front though, liking the sounds.
(C4C? link in the signature.)
Quote by MiG_853
+1

Yeah, I like having a loud bass, although trust me, I didn't intend on having it that loud >_< Sure, I'll c4c.
On my tracks the bass was really lost in the mix, which is a pain cause (not to be tooting my horn but) the lines are really good.
Dare to Defy is cool, but the riffs are quite boring to be honest. Try extending it a little bit. There is certainly potential there though. As others have said the bass is out of time a little... I don't know if thats just the recording...

Dan
Hey Pretty Cool Stuff!!!! I like the classic rock feel with your stuff, i actually like your singers voice and i think he just needs to be profesionally recorded, kind of an Eddie Vedder vibe. Your songs are structured well. Thanks for the crit on my stuff!
the bass parts were refreshing even tho it almost seemed like it got off a bit every once in awhile. i think birth of the king was my favorite, everyone seemed to click on that one. vocalist should try some different stuff even though its difficult to do. keep up the good work.
I listened To darkness falls. I wish the singer had been a little louder, since I couldn't hear him that well. I love the guitar tones. Very upfront and in your face yet the mix well with the drums. Seems slightyl repetative, But it gets you in a nice groove as the song progresses.
Agile ps 900
Washburn Wi
Rogue bass

all running through podfarm platinum XD
Thanks for all the criticism guys, we'll be back in the studio pretty soon for better recordings, this will surely help.
Thx for the crit

this is for "Darkness Falls"
I think the vocals are ok, but need a bit more strength behind them
I really liked the solo, personnally i think you got some pretty nice tones from the guitars and bass but the recording quality lacks slightly, what equipment do u use for ur recordings.
... I thought the mixing levels were pretty good, the bass could probaly do with being a bit louder to give a better sound
Check out and rate my songs in my profile if you have a moment to spare
All my Songs are Rock Influenced
Quote by Mikeboss
Thx for the crit

this is for "Darkness Falls"
I think the vocals are ok, but need a bit more strength behind them
I really liked the solo, personnally i think you got some pretty nice tones from the guitars and bass but the recording quality lacks slightly, what equipment do u use for ur recordings.
... I thought the mixing levels were pretty good, the bass could probaly do with being a bit louder to give a better sound

We recorded at a studio built in 2 storage units next to each other (in one of those storage facilities with tons of garages). I thought the sound quality would be a bit better than it was, because the recording equipment was quite nice, sound resonance foam on the walls everywhere...I dunno. I'm sure it would've probably sounded a lot better if we recorded each track by itself, and each vocal track by itself (like a demo) but we paid $30 for 3 hours, $25 to record it, and still had over an hour left over (didn't edit anything). We did all the music together, one take each song, all the vocals together, one take. We should've probably taken advantage of the other hour but oh well, as I said earlier, we're looking at getting into a better studio, and actually doing demo recordings so it will sound good.
I just checked out Theive's Legion (will check out the others later on tonight), and its a good song Definately hear some Black Sabbath influences there, and im a fan of a nice loud bass. Nice change in pace halfway through, very Iron Maiden-ish .

I dont have any other suggestions that havent already been raised, mainly mixing, but im sure you'll get it right the next time you hit the studio

good stuff, ill comment later on tonight on the rest, and thanks for the crit.
Enjoyed most of your songs!
They reminded me of bands like Velvet Revolver/STP, but like many have said before this post, vocals need to be louder and clearer! (also, in "speak of the devil" theres a high note one of your backround vocalists sings that doesnt sound right at 1:01-1:02 ish in your recording)
Cool riffs tho!
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Quote by MiG_853
+1

If you could provide me a link to your thread so I can post a critique about your music that would be great.
Page 1 of 2