So,
I've got a stock Epiphone Les Paul and though its evidently nice for the price, I'm tiring of the rather boring pickups and have been told I should upgrade them. I don't really have a price limit for I don't think theres pickups more expensive that what I'm willing to pay. I play in my band so its own material but we cover a couple of songs around the GnR, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd kinna region. I'll take the guitar into a shop to get it done, I don't trust myself to do it and I won't them to get a few things sorted with the guitar anyway, but Its obviously hard to test pickups cause I don't know any shops where they happen to have an Epiphone with every type of pickup available. So any suggestions would be nice, if you have then in an epiphone even better...and If I've missed any crucial pieces of information...then just give us a shout...cheers in advance.
Before anyone can help you, we need to know:
  • What amp you use.
  • What sort of environment you usually play in.
  • Exactly what model of guitar you use. With Epiphones it helps if you can tell us roughly how old the guitar is too.
  • What pedals you use (if any).
  • What style you play, this includes whether you are a lead or rhythm player, how prominant you need your playing to be, whether you need to cut through for solos, how often you play clean vs how often you play distorted, etc etc etc.
  • What sort of overall tone you'd like to achieve. Helps if you can give clear examples.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
  • What amp you use.
  • Exactly what model of guitar you use. With Epiphones it helps if you can tell us roughly how old the guitar is too.
  • What pedals you use (if any).
  • What style you play, this includes whether you are a lead or rhythm player, how prominant you need your playing to be, whether you need to cut through for solos, how often you play clean vs how often you play distorted, etc etc etc.
  • What sort of overall tone you'd like to achieve. Helps if you can give clear examples.

yes but its even more important to know which models of pickup will fit and the measurments in the width of the strings, just go to your local music store and they can give you the best advice.
Quote by MrFlibble

The other stuff I agree with, but I don't really see how these two are really relevant at all. Particularly the guitar's age, unless they were using a different type of wood or something in earlier Epiphones or something...

Quote by metaladdict123
yes but its even more important to know which models of pickup will fit and the measurments in the width of the strings, just go to your local music store and they can give you the best advice.

Humbuckers really only come in one size... unless you have a tremolo bridge that might need F spaced pole pieces, but otherwise, just about anything fits in an Epi les paul...

-----------------------------------------

What's REALLY important is for you to tell us what you dislike about your current pickups.

Anyway, I'll throw a blind suggestion out there, I have a set of WCRs that absolutely kill in my les paul. Great pickups, run around $300 a set, slightly more or less depending on the model.
Quote by al112987
The other stuff I agree with, but I don't really see how these two are really relevant at all. Particularly the guitar's age, unless they were using a different type of wood or something in earlier Epiphones or something...
You nailed it, earlier Epis were made with different wood. An Epi Standard made in the last two years or so has a solid mahogany body, full maple cap and mahogany neck - Epis made just before that had a triple-ply alder/mahogany/alder body with a maple veneer and a mahogany neck. Epi's made before that were an alder body with a mahogany veneer on the back and sides, a maple veneer on the top, and a maple neck. In addition the new Epis have an aluminium TOM/Stopbar bridge system, earlier ones had brass bridges.
So yeah, age of the guitar is pretty important.

And where someone usually plays does matter. If someone's only ever playing in a tiny bedroom in a semi-detached house then they're not going to want a pickup that has a huge bass bias. On the other hand if they often play in large concert halls mic'd up to the PA system then they'll want to stay away from anything which gives an an unnatural treble boost.

Quote by metaladdict123
Actually that's the one thing that we already know. Epi LPs take regular humbucker spaced pickups.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Wow, I never knew Epi's had varied so much...
Mine is a Epiphone Les Paul Standard that I picked up new from GAK in Early 2007. I use a combination of An Valvestate and a line-out into the PA for extra lead boost. I use a custom made volume pedal and a modified pressure sensitive Dunlop Crybaby.
I find my biggest problem is there is uncontrollable amounts of feedback, which is horribly annoying, if for a second I stop playing it just goes bananas. I do gig with this guitar sometimes mic'd, other times not so it does vary. I used to practise with amps but I now find it easier to leave my rig at our practise garage and just practise with the guitar by itself because I hate the tone of amps unless there turned to breaking point (or at least mine, cause it kinna sucks otherwise). Thanks for the advice so far, I was thinking of going over to a shop this weekend to see how much it will cost to put in anyway and I may ask for advice too, but if you have anymore to contribute, please continue.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by reevax at Jan 6, 2009,