My band is about to stary doing gigs and i borrow a friends amp now but i want a halfstack and dont know what to get, I'm looking used (craigslist mostly) under $500 and most of what is popping up are marshalls. I love Marshalls but I heard their cheaper (not tube) halfstacks are not all that great, so what should i be looking for? I would like all tube but dont know if I can get it in this range and if so how often do tubes have to be replaced?

This looks like my best option as of now:
http://sarasota.craigslist.org/msg/975196913.html
First off, you dont need a halfstack. And i've never heard of that amp you posted either.
You can get a tube combo which will be enough to gig with unmiced.
What sort of music do you play?
Don't listen to the people who say, "You don't need a halfstack, period."

If you want a halfstack for the right reasons (IE, the amp that has the tone you like only comes in head form, you prefer the way a 412 sounds, ect...) then by all means, buy one. But if you want one because it's OMG AWEZOME, then get a combo.
that crate would be a good idea,
maybe look at some Bugeras aswell?

i also agree with littlephil, a 2x12 combo will be
sufficient, it might even be better, it'll
make you look like less of a hot-shot until
you build a fanbase.
BulletzAreScene
What kind of metal and punk? Name some artists you'd like to sound similar to.

EDIT: Your local craigslist listing sucks. I'd look at a B-52 AT 112. It fits in your budget, and has enough gain for most intermediate players who play what you play.

Yes, it's a combo. But it is very gig capable. I never turn my 40 watt tube combo amp past 4 for gig levels of volume.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jan 5, 2009,
for metal alot of pantera, parkway drive, atreyu, all that remains and as i lay dying for punk, my band has a rancid, nofx, anti-flag feel to it and thats what i will probally be using it for mostly right now
Look for a crate blue voodoo used, or a windsor used. the crate you posted might be alright, its a littler older but it looks to be in mint condition minus the scratch on the ohm sticker.
Quote by DCarney9116
for metal alot of pantera, parkway drive, atreyu, all that remains and as i lay dying for punk, my band has a rancid, nofx, anti-flag feel to it and thats what i will probally be using it for mostly right now

The B-52 I recommended should be good enough. Grab an OD pedal on top of it, if you need more gain. Go and try out the amp.
they make that Crate 50 watt in a combo version. $200 Its the Crate V50-112
I have it and recommend for 450, you cam buy the combo new and add some nice pedals with the money you save. Even with only 1 speaker, its PLENTY loud.
Last edited by lemon_lime123 at Jan 5, 2009,
looks like a good deal, but as a reminder, the vast majority of experienced players here will tell you that a 50watt 2x12 tube combo is more than enough power for just about anything you want your amp to do.
and they'll be right.
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.
Quote by whiteraven119
Don't listen to the people who say, "You don't need a halfstack, period."

If you want a halfstack for the right reasons (IE, the amp that has the tone you like only comes in head form, you prefer the way a 412 sounds, ect...) then by all means, buy one. But if you want one because it's OMG AWEZOME, then get a combo.

I agree with this. Yes, a 112 or 212 could be loud enough, but just because it CAN be loud enough for gigs doesn't mean he should get one. Around here where I live, people play halfstacks for gigs and it sounds fine. Some people gig with 212 combo's, it all comes down to what you prefer tonewise and soundwise. You should never get an amp "just because" a 212 can do the job, or because you feel a head and 412 is overkill. Playing metal and punk, the pre-amp distortion is more of what you'd be looking for anyways. Just go with what feels better for you.

And yes, don't get either just to look cool or to fit in. Guy I know plays gigs with a full 50watt Marshall stack, another band uses 212's, it all comes down to personal preference. Just test a few out and see what feels right to you.
yeah as far as pedals i have a line 6 floor pod that i play through and i mostly play an epi les paul standard, and an epi SG
That crate isn't acctually that bad. A friend of mine use to have one and it sounded pretty good.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Quote by suffersystem
I agree with this. Yes, a 112 or 212 could be loud enough, but just because it CAN be loud enough for gigs doesn't mean he should get one. Around here where I live, people play halfstacks for gigs and it sounds fine. Some people gig with 212 combo's, it all comes down to what you prefer tonewise and soundwise. You should never get an amp "just because" a 212 can do the job, or because you feel a head and 412 is overkill. Playing metal and punk, the pre-amp distortion is more of what you'd be looking for anyways. Just go with what feels better for you.

And yes, don't get either just to look cool or to fit in. Guy I know plays gigs with a full 50watt Marshall stack, another band uses 212's, it all comes down to personal preference. Just test a few out and see what feels right to you.

What comes down to is that he's got a meager budget, and any halfstack in his range is going to be crap. The cab consturction is going to be poor, the speakers are going to be sub-par, and the head isn't going to be anything fantastic. THAT is why people are recommending combos.
I realize that. I guess it was more of a rant than an acual response to the thread starter. I apologize.

I would recomend a 5150 combo, although I have no idea what it would do for the punk side he's looking for. Hell, even my 333XL does a great job of punk/metal/rock very easily.I know people don't like the reliability issues, but I got my input plug soldered after the first month, and it has worked great since then. I play everything from Danko Jones to Metallica to Lamb Of God to AC/DC with it.
not very often every 5th year with normal use or so nothing to worry about.
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
Quote by forsaknazrael
Your local craigslist listing sucks. I'd look at a B-52 AT 112. It fits in your budget, and has enough gain for most intermediate players who play what you play.

my local craigslist sucks more.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/msg/961140365.html That Ultra Plus head is on target, Asking $425. It is up in the Tampa area though so try to cut a deal with him. Pair that up with a cab and you should be set.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/msg/953853308.html Fender 4x12 for $200?
http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/msg/977317812.html Carvin 4x12 for $275?
I have not tried those cabs and the thought of a Ultra plus through a fender cab just seems wrong to me.

Generally though a combo would be fine. I just didn't see any when I searched. There is a Mesa 22+ combo down in the Ft Myers area asking $450 but I wasn't sure if that would have the wattage you would want.
http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/msg/950922068.html

Anyway - the Ultra Plus head is a bit high at $425 so you should be able to get his price down a bit, $375 would be a fair deal from what I have seen while lurking craigslist.
Good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.