EDIT: Fixed the bass, EQed the guitar a little more, and put the string section I accidentally took out back into the intro.

I posted a snippet of this song here a while ago. I'm having a bit of trouble mixing and EQing (guitar tone sucks balls) so any suggestions on that would be great. Unfortunately, there aren't any vocals yet. Crit for crit.

Edited song is "Thrashicus (edited expanded demo)" in my profile.
Last edited by Clownmite at Jan 6, 2009,
The intro guitar tone is pretty neat, very chorus laden and middle eastern sounding.

Choir is cool, also. The intro is beginning to drag a bit, though. I'd probably cut it's length in half or at least throw some leads on top to help build up. It's been nearly a minute and a half.

I don't know if the drums and bass are fake, but the bass sounds retarded. I'd probably A - turn it WAY down or B - remove it.

Guitar tone... I'd have to know how you recorded it to give much advice. If it's direct in, I wouldn't know as I hate direct in. If you miced your amp, tell me your set up and I can help a ton.

The riffs themselves are solid, the bass is distracting, but the galloping riff with the double bass at 2:15 ish is good. The Metallica-esque riff at 2:33 is also pretty cool.

The riff at 3:30 is also cool, the diminished sound works very well. The bass line is cool, tone isn't.

Solo just started. Reminds me of Trivium, which for me is a cool thing, bassline is very Iron Maiden. Simple but effective solo. Song could use vocals. I'd be interested in what kind of vocals you plan on using.

So yah, pretty cool riffs. If you tell me / post what gear you used and how you recorded I / UG would be able to help with that.
Ah thrash, nothing like it.

I liked the intro, although it was a little to long it set the mood. The only major problem I found in the recording was the bass. It was WICKED loud compared to the other tracks.

1:52 is so Nile. Before I even looked at your bands I knew you had them as an influence. Sounds really good.

The riffs are awesome, nice and original. Although, I wanted a fast solo =[. You could make a real cool one with that scale your using. Im assuming its harmonic minor or phrygian dominant, but you know what assuming does. Haha

You already know that the mixing needs a little work, but other then that I thought it was really awesome.
Thank you both for your comments. I'll definitely try to fix up the bass.

Quote by Gordita Supreme
The intro guitar tone is pretty neat, very chorus laden and middle eastern sounding.
It's actually a VSTi of an indian instrument I loaded with reverb.

I don't know if the drums and bass are fake
Bass and drums are both programmed.

Guitar tone... I'd have to know how you recorded it to give much advice. If it's direct in, I wouldn't know as I hate direct in. If you miced your amp, tell me your set up and I can help a ton.
Unfortunately, it is direct in (with a TonePort, haha) using Amplitube 2 for the distortion. Do you think I could get a better tone using my Roland Cube 60 and a Rock Band mic (haha)?
sounded awesome man, grooooovy, not too sure about the bass tone though, bit too loud in the mix, did you record with a real bass?
Crit as I listen:

Intro is really mysterious, eastern sounding, I like it.
The riff starting is really solid, but the bass is really loud and not that awesome, maybe turn the volume down a bit.
Next riff, the galopping one, is really interesting and sounds really good with the double bass drum going there.
The diminished (I think it is) riff is pretty cool too, but is a bit long. Maybe you should plan on puting vocals on top of it.
Small solo there, pretty cool. Was expecting a really fast and crazy solo thing, but I guess I was wrong.

Anyways, awesome song. Work on the mixing, the bass and all that stuff. Maybe put some vocals too and it'll be just perfect !

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=989691
Quote by Clownmite

Unfortunately, it is direct in (with a TonePort, haha) using Amplitube 2 for the distortion. Do you think I could get a better tone using my Roland Cube 60 and a Rock Band mic (haha)?

No. You should go buy a Sennheiser Evolution guitar cab mic ($169ish) and use that. Obviously an better amp would work, too. If you want to see a full list of all of the gear and recording equipment I used to get my music to sound how it does, check my Fall of Narkissos thread that you posted in before. I give a very detailed run down of all of it.
Ok...
I'm critting as I listen.

The intro was very awesome and nice. But when the distortion came in, it was very anti-climaxy.
I was really hoping for a totally badass heavy riff right after the building up clean part but you went for a different approach.
The way you entered the faster part was OK but as I said, when the intro started to get more intense I got really excited and couldn't stop listening and waiting for the crazy ****. When nothing happened I kind of lost interest where I would otherwise perform some crazy metal acrobatics through most of the song.
I couldn't stop thinking about this through the rest of the song but everything that came after was pretty damn sweet. Loved the part with the congas and all of the riffs that you used.
Could've been much more interesting if you did something like this:

Chill intro - slowish headbanging riff - fast riff - the rest of the song.
Everything was perfect and sounded pretty original. Would enjoy some br00tal headbanging riff in there though.

C4C https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1037933&highlight=pick+gnome