Anyone know where I can get a full size Les Paul template for free? I bought the wood today (African Mahogany and soft maple) and plan to do a 7-piece body (think stripes) with a Fender scale Les Paul neck from Warmoth, but, I can't seem to find a template or even a technical drawing for free. I just need it to lay down on some mdf or hardboard to make a real template from, also routing templates would be great.

Also, I'm pretty sure I don't want to arch the top, will it look goofy to have a flat top on an LP? Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.
Oh for the love of peanut butter. We have an ultimate template thread.

SEARCH BAR. USE IT.

If anyone else posts anything other than searchbar in this thread, I will track them down and right them an angry letter.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
Oh for the love of peanut butter. We have an ultimate template thread.

SEARCH BAR. USE IT.

If anyone else posts anything other than searchbar in this thread, I will track them down and right them an angry letter.

I didn't realize there was an "Ultimate Templates" thread so thanks for that, but I've been on V-Bulletin forums for years and the search feature is a novelty at best.
Quote by My Porsche
I didn't realize there was an "Ultimate Templates" thread so thanks for that, but I've been on V-Bulletin forums for years and the search feature is a novelty at best.

I agree search feature is useless!

Nothing beats putting out a specific thread for your specific need.

Besides why have a fkn forum if you tell people not to post and just "search".
2 Jay Turser JT-220 Les Paul Copys W/ Seymore Duncan Alnico 2 Pro pick ups.
2008 Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 100 Watt tube amp
1966 Fender Bandmaster Tube amp with 2 2x12 cabs
Effects- Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss GE-7 EQ, Boss RV-3 Reverb/Delay
Quote by Øttər
You're joking, right?

Sheesh wouldn't want to make it too hard for you.

With as many members as this forum has on a daily basis almost every topic has been covered so technically we don't ever need to post again! Forums are Forums for a reason so you can ask a question.

Besides smart @ss he asked if a flat les paul would look gay is he going to find that in the search tab too?.

I think the arch top is much better.

Also it won't be much harder to make as you build up the middle with wood like a step and then smooth it down with a sander and chisel.
2 Jay Turser JT-220 Les Paul Copys W/ Seymore Duncan Alnico 2 Pro pick ups.
2008 Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 100 Watt tube amp
1966 Fender Bandmaster Tube amp with 2 2x12 cabs
Effects- Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss GE-7 EQ, Boss RV-3 Reverb/Delay
Last edited by SlashWannabe1 at Jan 5, 2009,
Quote by SlashWannabe1
I agree search feature is useless!

Besides why have a fkn forum if you tell people not to post and just "search".

Thank you, and exactly, I'm sure nearly every thread made on this forum had been done before, do you go around telling everyone to search in those as well? That's what a forum is for.

Besides, so far I've gone through the first 9 pages searching for "LP" and "Les Paul", no luck.
I'm sorry, but as a regular here I see like 10 of the same threads a week... and it grows tiresome.

Yeah, sometimes you do need to ask questions, but it seemed really apparent to me that you didn't even try to find this stuff for yourself.

Sorry if I over reacted, but really... it's been done before, and if you tried to help yourself you would probably find it rewarding.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər

Sorry if I over reacted, but really... it's been done before, and if you tried to help yourself you would probably find it rewarding.

Well so far I've gone through your entire precious thread and there doesn't appear to be a Les Paul template. Any other super obvious keywords like "Ultimate Template Thread" that I should search for?
use the esp eclipse template, its the same guitar, but the horn is pointed, not rounded.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by Øttər
Also you can request them...

Yeah, there were about 15 requests for Les Paul templates so far, I doubt my request would make any difference in the lack of templates. Also, "Les Paul Template" didn't turn up anything either.

Quote by metalwarrior40
use the esp eclipse template, its the same guitar, but the horn is pointed, not rounded.

Thought about it, but I'd really like an actual LP.
dude, there's no difference, i would know, i made 'em
the LP simply rounds the edge of the horn off.
it's not that complicated.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Quote by My Porsche
Yeah, there were about 15 requests for Les Paul templates so far, I doubt my request would make any difference in the lack of templates. Also, "Les Paul Template" didn't turn up anything either.

Thought about it, but I'd really like an actual LP.

Round the horn, there you go an LP.
Quote by metalwarrior40
dude, there's no difference, i would know, i made 'em
the LP simply rounds the edge of the horn off.
it's not that complicated.

Is the horn length long enough to round off and be the right size? Ie are the lines that form the point just extending from where the LP's curve starts?
yes.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Dont mean to steal the thread from this guy

But Metal Warrior is there a template you've done that's similar to a double cut LP?
Quote by SlashWannabe1
UG = Your own personal search engine

Seriously, mega fail, I'm sick of people not doing their research them selves because they can just start a thread and some one on UG will do it for them.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
todays lesson is...
5 ways to spot a tard
a. they act like tards
b. they cant master the search bar
c. they rip on regulars
d. they have names like my porsche

craps thats only four maybe ill find some more with the search bar

listen to ottar and absentmind
they know there S***
Last edited by MichaelSpeer at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by littlephil
I've got .pdf Les Paul templates if you're interested

Thank you, but after talking with some people and thinking about it, I am going to go with a PRS style body.

Also, I decided to go with a quilted maple top, I will post post pictures soon of the wood.

Is maple bad as a tonewood if I were to make part of the body behind the quilted maple out of it?
Quote by MichaelSpeer
todays lesson is...
5 ways to spot a tard
a. they act like tards
b. they cant master the search bar
c. they rip on regulars
d. they have names like my porsche

craps thats only four maybe ill find some more with the search bar

listen to ottar and absentmind
they know there S***

**** you too.
Quote by littlephil
I've got .pdf Les Paul templates if you're interested

Hi littlephil, I would like the pdf if you don't mind...I think I can be pm'd (??).

Thanks, Doug.
haha i love these threads where the nubsicles come in and argue with some of the most well known/ knowledgeable regulars....

As for maple, its common to have your body wood, Mahogany, Sapele, Ash, Alder, Basswood, Pine etc and then a figured top glued on top of the top of the body wood. Its wont effect your tone to much
use the damn searchbar for simple stuff like this. its not tough to find answers to questions that have a simple answer. hell, google could have sufficed for this one. an old mod used to have a rule where if he could find the answer to your question on the first page of a google search, he would ban you outright. i miss those days...