So really its like sweep fingering, whatever.

My question is when I use my plucking hand for the sweep, would you guys reccommed doing just a regular two or three finger picking ordeal(I can do either)

or

Making a sweep with one or two fingers with one going up and one going down?

I've found it easier to just do plain picking, but I worried that it would slow me down in the long run if I practice it like that.
I usually do the regular three finger ordeal, but another great option is the rake, in which you use either the fingernails on your right hand and "rake" up the strings (and then make your way back down how you would normally do it with the fleshy part of one or more of your fingers). Another way to rake is using your thumb, you can rake up with the fleshy part and then back down with the fingernail part (Victor Wooten does it like this and he's just plain amazing, so...).
Quote by NoOne0507
So really its like sweep fingering, whatever.

My question is when I use my plucking hand for the sweep, would you guys reccommed doing just a regular two or three finger picking ordeal(I can do either)

or

Making a sweep with one or two fingers with one going up and one going down?

I've found it easier to just do plain picking, but I worried that it would slow me down in the long run if I practice it like that.

I use my thumb for going down and my index finger for coming up. I use my index for coming up because most times I tap, so it makes it easier on myself.
Quote by Micehorns
I use my thumb for going down and my index finger for coming up. I use my index for coming up because most times I tap, so it makes it easier on myself.

I personally find that a bit awkward, but that works just as well.
I use the 3 finger plucking type method. Sometimes I’ll throw my thumb in there too. I have tried the sweep down with thumb and up with finger method but found the plucking method to be more to my liking.
I would imagine the actual sweeping method would allow for faster playing when done right but the plucking method is working quite well for me so far.

There was a lesson on here somewhere for the sweeping method iirc.
As I do it right now, I do plain picking, but I'm worried it will hinder me in the long run.
When I bring the tempo up, my fretting hand plays fast enough, but my fingers can't keep up. If it play the rhytmn at the same tempo but just on one string, I am fine with both hands.

Do you think the motion I do is wrong or is it just that I individually pick each note?

EDIT: To clarify, going on the up stroke I tend to just let my middle finger run across the strings, but going down I will pluck every note with alternating fingers.
Last edited by NoOne0507 at Jan 5, 2009,
Quote by NoOne0507
As I do it right now, I do plain picking, but I'm worried it will hinder me in the long run.
When I bring the tempo up, my fretting hand plays fast enough, but my fingers can't keep up. If it play the rhytmn at the same tempo but just on one string, I am fine with both hands.

Do you think the motion I do is wrong or is it just that I individually pick each note?

I have the same problem. I think the solution (as it is far too often) is just more practice.

Quote by NoOne0507
EDIT: To clarify, going on the up stroke I tend to just let my middle finger run across the strings, but going down I will pluck every note with alternating fingers.

You can go up and down with only one finger. Or you can do one finger up and another down like Micehorns does
Thanks for the advice. After practicing some more I got it a bit faster.

If it hinders me in the long run I'll practice changing my style.
Good question newb.

I would say use three fingers as it would be easier.
Two could work just fine though.
It's all about how much you practice.

Make sure your left hand (or right if you're left handed) is good enough to pull off the sweeps from its end.

Make sure you don't sweep too fast
or all the notes blur together,

those are called chords.

Love the Low end