To give you a bit of backround, i'll tell a quick story:

In the band i just joined, Michael Wilton's (Guitarist of Queensryche) son is the bassist, which naturally brings about oppertunities that a gear ***** such as myself loves to indulge in. In short, Michael lets me use any amp, pedal, guitar he owns, which inludes all of his Hughes & Kettners, the marshalls mentioned in the title, an orange ad140, modded marshall jmp-1/9100 monobloc poweramp, various matchless combos, roland jazz chorus, bluesbreaker..and too many more to name.

Anyways, im specifically interested in the Jubilee, seeing as they are quite rare. It is modded to some extent, but im not sure how or what. I hate to be "that guy" and ask for an artists tone, but I really do love slash's tone, especially in songs like November Rain. I've heard from various sources he used the Jubilee around that time? I'd love some ideas on where to start to get that almost fizzy, crunchy tone he gets. Ive got an LP custom, as well as access to a few LP standards that belong to Michael.

I am able to crank the amps to the max If needed, because the cabs are located in a shed seperate from the studio, and mic'd up through moniters, so as to not blow ear drums out. It really is a great setup.

Any thoughts?

tl;dr: I have access to a load of really old rare marshalls, and im interested in attempting to get slash's tone in "November Rain" using a marshall jubilee.

Again, hate to be the guy who wants an artists tone..but come on, the tone just screams!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Holy ****, you are a lucky bastard. Try the ultimate settings thread stickied up top.

Wow, let us know how they all sound...lucky mother ****ing bastard if they are all cheap.

BTW, will they cost normal price or are they free/discounted etc?
Quote by jarudy
Holy ****, you are a lucky bastard. Try the ultimate settings thread stickied up top.

Wow, let us know how they all sound...lucky mother ****ing bastard if they are all cheap.

BTW, will they cost normal price or are they free/discounted etc?

I'm not buying them, I should have mentioned. I just bought an Orange.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
I'm not buying them, I should have mentioned. I just bought an Orange.

OIC, nice that you get to try some really great amps full bore. Post some reviews when you're done, it would be pretty sweet to get to hear what they sound like as well if you have a chance to record them.
Pics and clips or it wont/didnt happen?
Fiddle with the JCM 800s till you get Carcass' tone then let me know what settings you used. Cheers.

That sounds amazing.
Ill get pics and possbily clips. Its a pretty sweet room, and were recording our whole cd with it, and all the amps and effects we could ever want.

Anybody know about the Slash tone though?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
Ill get pics and possbily clips. Its a pretty sweet room, and were recording our whole cd with it, and all the amps and effects we could ever want.

Anybody know about the Slash tone though?

I would try what the thread says, I saw you posted in it:

Slash of Guns N' Roses
Gain - 6.5
Treble - 4.5
Mid - 7
Bass - 7
Presence ? 8

Try that first, then fix it from there. A couple of people posted saying that the Slash tone was pretty good. I dont know about cleans and other settings on November Rain though. Im going to listen to it and see if I can help out.
Quote by jarudy
I would try what the thread says, I saw you posted in it:

Slash of Guns N' Roses
Gain - 6.5
Treble - 4.5
Mid - 7
Bass - 7
Presence ? 8

Try that first, then fix it from there. A couple of people posted saying that the Slash tone was pretty good. I dont know about cleans and other settings on November Rain though. Im going to listen to it and see if I can help out.

Thanks, ill try those. I am mostly looking for when his overdrive finally comes in on the song. You'll know it when you hear it.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I was just gonna ask for pics and clips

Anyways, i would do what others have suggested and look at the ultimate settings thread.
Maybe if you did some google searching, you can find slash's exact settings that he used.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
I was just gonna ask for pics and clips

Anyways, i would do what others have suggested and look at the ultimate settings thread.
Maybe if you did some google searching, you can find slash's exact settings that he used.

Darkarbiter7, you're so predictable.

You pic/clip-VVhore!!!

^
I mean this jokingly by the way.

But yeah, TS, you get to try out all that stuff. Nice.

Cheers.
Last edited by neptune1988 at Jan 5, 2009,
You have access to (original I presume?) a '68 plexi and Bluesbreaker and you're talking about a freaking Silver Jubilee???

Anyway, I don't think any of us can really help with your request unless anyone really owns the amp, otherwise, any settings one can throw out are more or less meaningless. Just play around with it.
WAT?????

Those are my 3 favorite marshalls!

You tell me how sweet that 68' plexi sounds, OR I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN AND GET YOU!

JK ,enjoy yourself, those amps are phenominal,

Edit: /\ lol, i was thinking the same think, if i could crank a 68' plexi i wouldn't give 2 ****s about a silver jubilee
Last edited by Dance_of_Death at Jan 5, 2009,
Quote by al112987
You have access to (original I presume?) a '68 plexi and Bluesbreaker and you're talking about a freaking Silver Jubilee???

Anyway, I don't think any of us can really help with your request unless anyone really owns the amp, otherwise, any settings one can throw out are more or less meaningless. Just play around with it.

I've tried the plexi before actually, it sounds absolutley stunning. Not exactly a slash tone though.

The reason im fretting over a jubilee, is because the tone slash gets in november rain really does give me the goosebumps its so good.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412