Well I am a decent Metal/Classic Rock guitarist, but my musical goals have changed. I want to learn to play Blues guitar now, so where would you recommend learning? It would be nice if there was a course over the internet I could use to get practice and techniques if at all possible. Thank You.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Zakk Wylde Crybaby Wah Pedal
Boss SD-1
learn the blues scale, then learn how to play at least one stevie ray vaughn song.

or you could play a genre thats, you know, not done to death.

just sayin.
well seriously what is one good genre that's not done to death....i dont think i want to do any Mathcore
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Boss SD-1
Quote by Zappanator
well seriously what is one good genre that's not done to death....i dont think i want to do any Mathcore

Try Progressive Blackened Death Metal. That's what i play... HA don't use that term, i bet it's ****en stupid, but i like it.

Crap...

For blues. learn the blues scale, listen to blues masters, and learn some licks from tabs here on ug.

And the rest lies within you.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
Last edited by allislost at Jan 6, 2009,
dig up the blues you like then work it out by listening to it and playing along.

by the way there is a reason blues has been a preferred genre by many great guitarists for the last 80-90 years, it's good. Besides there's always somewhere new to take any kind of music when you make it your own.
Si
go to youtube and type in blues lesson. a lot of the lessons suck though.

learn what rhythms they use, and on what beat the pick. fiddle around with all of the blues greats' signature guitar techniques. jam jam jam.
Quote by Zappanator
Well I am a decent Metal/Classic Rock guitarist, but my musical goals have changed. I want to learn to play Blues guitar now, so where would you recommend learning? It would be nice if there was a course over the internet I could use to get practice and techniques if at all possible. Thank You.

Learn how to play blues music. Build up a blues repertoire.

Find a blues riff/song/solo that you like, and get learning.

Quote by montyburns
go to youtube and type in blues lesson. a lot of the lessons suck though.

Well, they're free and mostly done by amateurs. Kinda like the tabs and much of the advice given here at UG.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jan 6, 2009,
Listen to blues artists, learn the blues scale, learn the 7 chords, become familiar with the blues rhythm.

Say if youre a classic rock guitarist, you shouldn't have much difficulty with the blues.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Dmmrng

just sayin.

so i herd u leik prog
12 Bar Blues is a good place to start. If you learn the A pentatonic scale with the notes that you can throw in there along with the minor scale of it, you can have someone play the 12 bar and you can play lead.

It's fun cause me and my friend go to school with our acoustic and take turns playing it.
There is a guitar book called "Blues you can use" I believe. I was going through it for a little while and it seems like a nice place to start. Might be worth looking into.
Thanks guys, and learning might be easier than I thought since I play a lot of stuff like Led Zeppelin, and Clapton.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Boss SD-1
Quote by Dmmrng
learn the blues scale, then learn how to play at least one stevie ray vaughn song.

just sayin.

WTF kind of advice is that?!? So we're picking genres of interest based on originality, now? Blues set the foundation for all these new genres of rock. See all you have to do is learn blues, then take a dump on it, and you have everything thats popular.
Last edited by Monsterhog at Jan 7, 2009,
I think one of the best things you could do to get a good blues feel is to actually listen to the singing instead of the guitar playing.Almost all of the great blues guitarists played parts that could actually be sung if you chose to.Think of it as a duet...its all in the spacing and keep the distortion to a crunch or even a clean sound if you can stand it (or if you have a decent-sounding guitar)..
Quote by allislost
Try Progressive Blackened Death Metal. That's what i play... HA don't use that term, i bet it's ****en stupid, but i like it.

Crap...

For blues. learn the blues scale, listen to blues masters, and learn some licks from tabs here on ug.

And the rest lies within you.

Yes and No.

Learn the blues theory (blues scale, I7 IV7 V7 progressions...) but try to learn blues solos by EAR.