which among these two amps would be better? i need a compact bedroom amp that is fairly light, would sound relatively good, and is cheap.. i'm not a fan of modellers nor tube amps.. i wan't a straightforward SS amp.. i have a PRS SE Standard and a Korg AX5G..i play clean sounds, alternative, some punk rock, classic rock, but not much on metal..

has anyone tried both of these amps? which would be a better option among the two?
please don't suggest me any other amps since i already fixed my options on these two.. i know they're both crap but my budget is only up to them.. thanks guys..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Ibanez AEG8E-NT w/ Seymour Duncan Woody SC
Yupangco Classical Guitar
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
You could stop the hate on modelers in general and actually try a vypyr or a roland cube (<-not a microcube imo) since it appears you cant afford a tube amp.

Why dont you like tube amps? If you had a grand to spend on an amp and an amp only, you'd get a SS? A Hughes and Kettner Z(etner something) is the only pretty good SS amp I've heard thats not modeling. Tube amps are a lot better than SS, hand down.

SS being:
Solid snake
****'s ****
snake ****
sucking ****
**** sucking
satans ****
**** (on) satan
Quote by jarudy
You could stop the hate on modelers in general and actually try a vypyr or a roland cube (<-not a microcube imo) since it appears you cant afford a tube amp.

Why dont you like tube amps? If you had a grand to spend on an amp and an amp only, you'd get a SS? A Hughes and Kettner Z(etner something) is the only pretty good SS amp I've heard thats not modeling. Tube amps are a lot better than SS, hand down.

it's not that i don't like modellers, i just don't need them.. their modelling capabilities are not what i need coz i already have my multi-effects pedal..
a tube amp on the other hand, is relatively more costly.. like i said, my budget is only within the range or the vox pathfinder and that orange crush..

i prefer a solid state since it's only a practice amp where i could plug my effects and guitar..
by the way, i live in the philippines and there is no H&K here..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by jarudy

The H&K Zentera is a modeller.

I will join the crowd that says "You're being silly, get a modeller," but between the choices you offered, I'd take the Orange anyday.
The H&K Zentera is a modeller.

I will join the crowd that says "You're being silly, get a modeller," but between the choices you offered, I'd take the Orange anyday.

i'm not being silly.
i'm just not going to get an amp with many features but can't maximize their use. also, modelling amps are a bit higher priced compared to the crush and pathfinder.. the vypr is not yet available in our country, sorry.

i've read reviews here in UG.. the crush15R had a lower rating compared to the pathfinder. but i watched demos is youtube and it seems ok.
i don't know, i think the +1 on the pathfinder is its tremolo effect and speaker out..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Last edited by deltacross at Jan 6, 2009,
I actually used to gig with my pathfinder using a Korg multifx unit and it worked fine! Biggest limitation with it is really just with the speaker size - its hard to go loud and bassy, although the amp itself is surprisingly loud - but then what do you expect from a practice amp The distortion on the unit is very specifically British voiced and not that great, but the amp's cleans are fabulous. Don't know why you need a tremelo if you have the multifx? The tremelo on the pathfinder is not that great anyway.

Can't compare the Orange though, haven't heard it.

As far as going for a tube amp is concerned - at this budget you won't even get close, so don't even try. If you buy the pathfinder you'll have a good back up amp handy for life and you can buy a proper amp later when you have the cash.
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Boss SD-1 + 2 x Clones... all modded of course
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2
Quote by nbroers
I actually used to gig with my pathfinder using a Korg multifx unit and it worked fine! Biggest limitation with it is really just with the speaker size - its hard to go loud and bassy, although the amp itself is surprisingly loud - but then what do you expect from a practice amp The distortion on the unit is very specifically British voiced and not that great, but the amp's cleans are fabulous. Don't know why you need a tremelo if you have the multifx? The tremelo on the pathfinder is not that great anyway.

Can't compare the Orange though, haven't heard it.

As far as going for a tube amp is concerned - at this budget you won't even get close, so don't even try. If you buy the pathfinder you'll have a good back up amp handy for life and you can buy a proper amp later when you have the cash.

at first i thought of buying the Vox VT30 or the AD30VT.. but as time passed, i had trouble earning money so i just decided wether to get the pathfinder or crush..
i know that it's not gonna be loud enough when jamming with a drum or so, but then the speaker out feature amazes me..i can buy a 12" celestion or some other speaker that would be relatively less costly and build a box for it then connect it to the speaker out.. then i would have no problem for loudness.. it's like having a 1x12 combo amp for a relatively cheaper price.. or some sort of head and cab configuration.. well, that's my plan if ever i get the vox..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Yeah, the line out is also quite useful (although it bugged me that the line out volume would increase if I upped the volume on the amp). So you can use the amp and also line out to a PA for some extra amplification.

With a half asleep drummer and chilled music the pathfinder is *almost* loud enough for practices on its own

Personally, I tried the valvetronix series and did not like it at all, the sound for me lacks the chime that Vox is famous for (the AC30 and to a lesser extent the Pathfinder ) There are some H&K valve amps for around the same price range that sound more like a vox than the VT series
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2
hmm.. i had an amp before that had an 8" speaker then i sold it coz i thought it was too small.. i also have a 12" amp that me and my brother use, unfortunately, it's not very portable and is very heavy.. i only walk so i carry all my stuff with me.. then i thought of getting something with a 10" speaker.. but then, it was a little heavy too.. so now i ended up deciding to have an 8" speaker again but a relatively louder and nicer amp.. i actually tried the vox pathfinder before.. i'm just looking for comments on the crush since i thought it would also be a good option..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
anyone?..

hmm..anyway, here's another question.. if in case i'd get the vox, as i said, i'll just have to build my own 1x12 cab..hehe.. what would be a good speaker choice?.. somewhere around 8-16ohms..

i found three options..would these be ok?
1. Peavey Blue Marvel
2. Sheffield 1230
3. Sheffield 1290

i think those are what you find on certain high-end peavey amps.. all of them costs roughly 100-125USD.. any more suggestions within the same price range?
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
i was going to buy the crush 30R a few weeks ago but after going up to the guitar shop found that its just a basic amp and that it doesnt have that orange sound, and i have ended up buying the VOX ad30vt, altho if you dont need the effects then there isnt much point. i was also concidering getting a 100w ss amp and getting a multi effects and as long as the amp has a good clean sound then it will sound great
Quote by blenk
i was going to buy the crush 30R a few weeks ago but after going up to the guitar shop found that its just a basic amp and that it doesnt have that orange sound, and i have ended up buying the VOX ad30vt, altho if you dont need the effects then there isnt much point. i was also concidering getting a 100w ss amp and getting a multi effects and as long as the amp has a good clean sound then it will sound great

yeah..i tried the vox and the clean channel sounded fine.. i was quite surprised coz when i turned the volume halfway, it was really quite loud that i instantly reduced it..

so the orange might not be a good option after all huh..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Hmm if you're considering building a cab as well then I'd say rather spend that money on a bigger amp (30 watts and up) that you can use for practices and gigging. Or save up and get a entry level tube amp. In Cape Town, MOST bands use the valvetronix, very popular here - I don't like it much, but they seem to have success with it so who am I to argue

If you already HAD the cab it would be a different story altogether! But you're gonna end up spending almost the same amount of money on a small amp + cab than you would on a mid sized amp.
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2
Quote by WtrPlyr
Isn't the pathfinder hybrid? Or is that de DA5?

Neither of those amps are hybrid - all solid state.

edit: The valvetronix amps are hybrids (valve in the preamp)
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2
Quote by nbroers
Hmm if you're considering building a cab as well then I'd say rather spend that money on a bigger amp (30 watts and up) that you can use for practices and gigging. Or save up and get a entry level tube amp. In Cape Town, MOST bands use the valvetronix, very popular here - I don't like it much, but they seem to have success with it so who am I to argue

If you already HAD the cab it would be a different story altogether! But you're gonna end up spending almost the same amount of money on a small amp + cab than you would on a mid sized amp.

building a cab for me is not that costly..i have materials here at home for the cab itself.. i would only need to buy a decent 12" speaker..that's all.. so i think i would still be saving a bunch if i go for the pathfinder and eventually a 12" speaker..

also, at this time, i do need a small and relatively light amp..i just walk carrying the amp, my guitar, and my effects so a 30-watter or an amp with 10"speaker is not my option right now..

i also can't shell out much to get a 30-watter coz my money is only very limited within the price range of the pathfinder..i'm just a student and my school is just very near our house so i don't have allowances to save..tough luck but that's my life..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
OK, in that case I'd recommend taking the following in consideration when buying the speaker:

- The amp is only going to drive that speaker at a max of 15 watts, so the only way it will be louder than the little speaker in the pathfinder will be if the speaker has a higher sensitivity rating than the built in speaker. Generally, larger speakers do have higher sensitivity, so it should be louder. Sensitivity is measured in DB, so every 3 DB that the sensitivity is higher the speaker will be twice as loud... (my knowledge on this is a little rusty so if someone cares to correct me go ahead )

- Speaker enclosures need to built to spec according to the speaker it will house (if you want the speaker to function most effectively). It can get pretty complicated, so see if you can find enclosure design specs for the speakers you want to buy before you buy them.
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2
wow.. i didn't know it was that complicated.. i plan on designing my own amp enclosure, one that i can tilt.. but i didn't know that it still has some effect on the speaker itself.. okay, i'll try to research more about the design..

hmm... about the speaker, you said that the pathfinder can drive the speaker at a max of 15watts.. so, can the vox handle these particular speakers?.. kindly check out the link.. thanks..

http://www.copystars.com/peavey_blue_marvel_classic_1238_18339_prd1.htm

http://www.copystars.com/peavey_guitar_speaker_1238_blue_18354_prd1.htm

http://www.copystars.com/peavey_guitar_speaker_1290_sheffield_18355_prd1.htm

http://www.copystars.com/peavey_sheffield_1230_16_ohm_18435_prd1.htm

http://www.copystars.com/peavey_sheffield_triple_xxx_8_18441_prd1.htm
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Last edited by deltacross at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by Horlicks
I haven't tried the Vox. But I can tell you the Orange sounds awful.

i tried youtube and there was a video reviewing three amp.. vox pathfinder 15r, kustom amp, and the orange crush 15r.. well, the one who did the video loved orange amps so it was kinda biased n his part.. so finally i got to hear the orange.. anyway, the cleans on the crush seemed too high on the mids which i don't like.. but with the built-in overdrive, both the orange and vox sounded quite the same.. they're both creamy..

so i guess the vox is winning..i should've made this a poll thread..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by deltacross

Well, it should be able to power any speaker as long as the impedance is matched. The Pathfinder outputs 15 watts at 8ohms impedance so you should get a 8ohm speaker. This is from the Pathfinder manual:

a) Only use extension cabinets with an impedance
of 8 Ohms or more (e.g. 16 Ohms) with your
Pathfinder 15/15R combo. NEVER use a lower
impedance (e.g. 4 Ohms) or damage could result.
WARNING: If you use an extension cabinet
with an impedance of more than 8 Ohms your
Pathfinder 15/15R’s output power will be
reduced – it only produces its full output of 15
Watts when presented with an 8 Ohm speaker
load.

The manual does not state the speaker sensitivity so you have no way of knowing how much louder the external speaker will be. Maybe try to mail Vox and ask them

Otherwise would suggest borrowing someones cab (just make sure its 8ohms or more) and trying it out first.
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2
Quote by deltacross
i tried youtube and there was a video reviewing three amp.. vox pathfinder 15r, kustom amp, and the orange crush 15r.. well, the one who did the video loved orange amps so it was kinda biased n his part.. so finally i got to hear the orange.. anyway, the cleans on the crush seemed too high on the mids which i don't like.. but with the built-in overdrive, both the orange and vox sounded quite the same.. they're both creamy..

Link?
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2
ow.. i see.. alright.. well, no one that i know has a cab.. hehe.. okay.. so only the resistance of the speakers matter.. coz i saw many wattages in their specs and i don't know much about it..

anyway, here's the link.. it's a series of four vids..this one's in order..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b21eBVCixNk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwFaj48Zt1A&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj6HgZahbVc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH6qXEkHm0w&feature=related
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
i have the ornage and am super happy with it (especially with that overdrive on it )
gear :epiphone g400 custom
squier bullet strat
orange crush 15r
boss ds-2
fame ml-30
red hill CDG-3 SEQ

beaners gonna kick you in the face
If I were you, I'd go for the vox, and if you want a bigger better amp in future, get one of the higher end orange's, seeing as I think the vox ones are much more expensive, and the cheap ones are pretty good. OR just save up for the AD30vt, you don't need the VT30, they've gone a little over the top on the new ones, the old ones are fine.

EDIT: I think the Orange would be better for distortion wise though, but if you have decent distortion on the Korg, then distortion doesn't really come into it
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
Last edited by archerygenious at Jan 7, 2009,
I have the Orange Crush 30R, and it's a hell of a great amp, pretty loud for a 30W (so 15W will be louder than regular too...), and fits in very good with my style of music. Can get very light to harder (no dist) OD, while still sounding good, and if I combine light OD and my DS-2 I get a whole bunch of great tones... Reverb is also very good. I don't think it's very suitable for metal, as it tends rattle a lot with very high gain dist pedals and low notes... Didn't hear or try the vox, so no opinion on that.

Overall,the Orange is a great amp, and if you wanna hear it, check my youtube page (sig)
(no Orange OD clips on there, putting one on there as soon as I can)...
Hope I helped you
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Last edited by poipoi at Jan 7, 2009,
what speakers does the orange crush have?
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R