Ok, so Im taking the Traynor back because I swapped tubes and it still flips my breaker and now it occasionally makes a weird hum on the lead channel at low volumes...

So what are some good amps to look at at GC that are tube, have good cleans a good distortion/lead channel and are around $550?
Where do you live? <- Used market and craigslist?
Do you have a cab or other combo amp that can be used as a cab?

Really try to play a Egnater Rebel, pretty much a great amp for the price. $600 new for just the head, maybe find one used? This amp is why I asked if you had a cab.

Try some marshalls and look for a jcm amp on the 'list. Jcms run about $600 when you find them.
Mesa F series?
AC15
B52 AT series
Id stay away from Valvekings, go ahead and try one though.
Peavey classic <- again, I dont like but some people do
Id would stay away from Peavey windsor, its up to your ears though.

edit:
fender HRD
fender HRD BJ
Flextone if you're into that kinda thing
Randal RG50, iffy cleans imo
Pignose G60
Laney VC15
Randal g3?

These are all amps to try, since your going to a shop. Really check out the rebel.
Many of the amps listed are new in your price range, can be found cheaper.
Last edited by jarudy at Jan 5, 2009,
I dont want to buy used again... This Traynor YCV40 was bought used and has been nothing but problems... I tried a VK 212 and I didnt like it... It was too loud... I dont have a cab, but I also dont want a half stack, I want a 112 combo maybe even 110 depending on the speaker and overall sound... I need one soon so I cant wait around for something to pop up on craigslist... Plus I am returning it for in store credit so it needs to be something that GC carries... So... yeah.
Quote by music_mike
I dont want to buy used again... This Traynor YCV40 was bought used and has been nothing but problems... I tried a VK 212 and I didnt like it... It was too loud... I dont have a cab, but I also dont want a half stack, I want a 112 combo maybe even 110 depending on the speaker and overall sound... I need one soon so I cant wait around for something to pop up on craigslist... Plus I am returning it for in store credit so it needs to be something that GC carries... So... yeah.

sigh;
check out
B52 AT
Fender HRD
HRD blues junior
Vox ac15
Laney vc15
Classic? Try it before you hop on the bandwagon
Flextone if you're into modelers
Randal rg50, iffy cleans imo
A NEW TRAYNOR?
Randal G3 series?
haha I have suggested this quite a lot...but maybe a crate v18 and then change the speaker..

edit: right now musiciansfriend has palomino v30s and v50s for really good prices. you should try those.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Last edited by fifer at Jan 5, 2009,
Well the only GC with any good amps around me that I know of is the one in Arlington... The lines of amps they carry are; Mesa (but cant afford them), Fender, a couple of Epiphones, Marshall (but cant afford them either), ss Vox, Egnater (cant afford it either), BlackStar (probably cant afford it), Line 6 (but Im staying away from those), and then some used stuff, so...

Im seriously about to just take the Traynor back and get a Valve Junior or some **** cause at least I know what kind of tones I can get...