hey, first post here on UG ^-^, so i play bass in a metal band that kind of sounds like a cross between maiden and metallica (early stuff). accept that im 14 and dont have lots of money so im trying to record through the digitech rp90 petal i got for xmas. but the distortion sounds horrible, is it because im using a crappy way to record or am i doing something wrong? btw i use the kristal audio engine to record
Acquire Ampeg SVX. I'm doing me entire album with it. It's fantastic. It's the best bass sound I've ever heard.

I'm not legally allowed to offer further advice.

If you don't know what I mean by that then chances are you wouldn't know how to get it or use it anyway.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Acquire Ampeg SVX. I'm doing me entire album with it. It's fantastic. It's the best bass sound I've ever heard.

If you don't know what I mean by that then chances are you wouldn't know how to get it or use it anyway.

Do you record through Mic'ing up an amp or a direct input through a soundcard or mixer?
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
For my album, I obviously went top of the line and used my SWR SM-900 as a tube DI into the soundboard. However, even just plugging into a soundcard got some good results. Not quite an SWR in a studio, but still fine, especially with an active bass, which technically shouldn't require a DI.

However, tracking bass is easy. The threadstarter should ask how he's going to track drums.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
thanks for all the help so far, i plug directly into my computer using the rp 90, considering the closest thing i have to a mic is the one that comes with guitar hero world tour, and do i need to set it up for my sound card or is it like that right away? and i will definently look at the Ampeg SVX right now.
The idea is that you plug the bass itself into the sound card as if it were a microphone. You shouldn't need the RP90.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
my only problem is that i use a distorted bass sound, and i only use a little and if i plug my boss ds-1 in even if i have everything all the way down it sounds to distorted, but mabey the Ampeg SVX will help,. downloading it now
Using a DS-1 on a bass is not... it's not good. Ampeg SVX has a friggin tube SVT modelled, and you can crank it. Plus a modelled distortion pedal. There's absolutely no reason to use a DS-1 on bass at all, let alone when you can model a $3500 bass setup.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
alright ill give that a shot thanks ^-^ and i use a ds-1 because it was 100 dollars cheaper than the only bass distortion at guitar center, and i thought it sounded better anyway. cuz i dont wanna sound like cliff burton, i love him to death (lolz rip) but i dont really wanna sound like him, just enough fuzz so that i can keep up with the guitarist.
~ it might just be that the output from the pedal is too high, and it's distorting in the PC. try turning it down on the pedal, or opening up the little mixer desk thing in control panel and turning down the "mic" input.
Quote by kibatsume
alright ill give that a shot thanks ^-^ and i use a ds-1 because it was 100 dollars cheaper than the only bass distortion at guitar center, and i thought it sounded better anyway. cuz i dont wanna sound like cliff burton, i love him to death (lolz rip) but i dont really wanna sound like him, just enough fuzz so that i can keep up with the guitarist.

But then again, both you and Cliff are using guitar distortion and cutting your bottom end.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by kibatsume
i use a ds-1 because it was 100 dollars cheaper than the only bass distortion at guitar center

There's your problem right there.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I go bass > pedal > computer, sounds like ****. The speakers and headphones just give out if its too loud and if I want a really warm bass tone it fuzzes over. When I win the lottery I'll get some decent equipment.
Record clean into garage band and then use the inbuilt effects in there. That'll get you the best tone.

If it still clips, turn down in the input level.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by thefitz

I've just downloaded the demo, and I'm going Bass > Zoom H4 (Audio Interface) > Computer via USB, and all I'm getting is quiet distortion/fuzz.

Any idea what's up?

I checked it exactly as it is on Audacity and everything was fine.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
A watermark maybe? My full version doesn't have this. Too much input gain in the models? I use it as a VST effect - I record the track clean, then 'apply' the plugin as a VST.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
A watermark maybe? My full version doesn't have this. Too much input gain in the models? I use it as a VST effect - I record the track clean, then 'apply' the plugin as a VST.

So fitzy, where did you buy your full version? I'm curious, because no online dealers I've found are selling it for almost $300.
Quote by IndianRockStar
So fitzy, where did you buy your full version? I'm curious, because no online dealers I've found are selling it for almost $300.

Remember when we all talked like pirates?

If you can't infer what I mean by that, you're hopeless. I'm leaving this thread for good. Byebye.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Dont go yet! When you have this kind of software and plug-ins?

How do you connect your bass to your computer?
1/4 -> 1/8? and then in microphone slot? Or do you need a whole nother interface thing?
You connect it through a mixer or a soundcard
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
Quote by thefitz

If you can't infer what I mean by that, you're hopeless. I'm leaving this thread for good. Byebye.

lolol
Quote by thefitz

Well I was being sarcastic. Perhaps too sarcastic.