How would I go about writing a bassline that is similar to "Lazy Eye" by Silversun Pickups? Some songs I try to cover, they are really complex, but Lazy Eye I have a lot of fun playing it and I want to write basslines like that. Thanks!
Knowledge of theory, scales, intervals, progressions - all of those things contribute to good bassline writing.

It's hard to tell you how to write a good bass line. You need to be able to play what you write, you also have to have an idea of the bass line is, the creativity of writing it, It's hard to explain. I just try to think of something different, jam to my thoughts, and then tab out the bass line on Guitar Pro, which I can refer to later to then work on the line.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
Idk My Bff Jill
Quote by therealtater
that is the first time I have ever actually loled because of the pit you win either a cookie or an internet your choice

Quote by Zero-Hartman
I regularly walk into the living room naked when my parents are watching Greys Anatomy.
In all seriousness,
its not about your skill level or anything else, just play what sounds good to you. feel it, thats the most important thing with bass. its an extension of yourself and your thoughts and feelings.
Why do some bassists throw such complicated notes in there then? Is it just because that's what they feel like making it sound like, or because that's needed to sound right?
Complicated notes? Silversun Pickups? Ewwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaahhh?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by homer00799
Idk My Bff Jill

BACK PIT MONKEY, BACK I SAY!!!

Thread starter, Lazy Eye is a pretty simple song in most ways, 'specially the bass line. Nikki Moninger is pretty hot though....

Annnyways, it seems like shes just playing the root of the chords, with a ever-so-slight swing to it. Nada mucho

As for your second question, eh, theres no fixed answer for that - some people are very passionate about playing bass, and want to get up there and play and be heard, instead of just being noise - some people, like prog metal people, live breate eat and **** complexity. Sometimes musicians "feel" the music, and put complicated bass riffs in because they feel it adds to the song. Some people just like to wank, but we dont talk about them.

Im gonna stab in the dark with this one, but im assuming your a new musician? After a time, with playing/listening/contributing to music, music and and your musical input will become very subconcious. Theory is definitly useful in many situation, but when your trying to write music, there'll come a point where you'll play based on what feels right in a certain situation.

whew
Play your own songs?????????

Lazy Eye is not that hard.

Although, something else about that band makes me hard....

Love the Low end
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
BACK PIT MONKEY, BACK I SAY!!!

Thread starter, Lazy Eye is a pretty simple song in most ways, 'specially the bass line. Nikki Moninger is pretty hot though....

Annnyways, it seems like shes just playing the root of the chords, with a ever-so-slight swing to it. Nada mucho

As for your second question, eh, theres no fixed answer for that - some people are very passionate about playing bass, and want to get up there and play and be heard, instead of just being noise - some people, like prog metal people, live breate eat and **** complexity. Sometimes musicians "feel" the music, and put complicated bass riffs in because they feel it adds to the song. Some people just like to wank, but we dont talk about them.

Im gonna stab in the dark with this one, but im assuming your a new musician? After a time, with playing/listening/contributing to music, music and and your musical input will become very subconcious. Theory is definitly useful in many situation, but when your trying to write music, there'll come a point where you'll play based on what feels right in a certain situation.

whew

I know, Nikki is very attractive. :P Yeah, your stab in the dark was right, I've been playing since late August, so I don't really have that much experience under my belt. Like when I try to play Coheed songs on bass, Mic Todd throws so much crazy stuff in there it makes my eyes hurt.
Quote by CBNJ
I know, Nikki is very attractive. :P Yeah, your stab in the dark was right, I've been playing since late August, so I don't really have that much experience under my belt. Like when I try to play Coheed songs on bass, Mic Todd throws so much crazy stuff in there it makes my eyes hurt.

He still makes my eyes hurt sometimes. More frequently my fingers though =D

Coheed has some easier pop-y type songs, but alot of the prog stuff is pretty tricky. Honestly you should probably be setting your standard a little lower for a while, it takes time and practice to adjust yourself to tackling harder songs. Theres a sticky'd thread at the top of the thread page with a decent list of songs graded by difficulty, take a look at it if your shot on material to practice
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
He still makes my eyes hurt sometimes. More frequently my fingers though =D

Coheed has some easier pop-y type songs, but alot of the prog stuff is pretty tricky. Honestly you should probably be setting your standard a little lower for a while, it takes time and practice to adjust yourself to tackling harder songs. Theres a sticky'd thread at the top of the thread page with a decent list of songs graded by difficulty, take a look at it if your shot on material to practice

I'm glad we see in the same light

Love the Low end