Hi, i've been reading about people saying their cab/speaker sounded much better or the best when broken in.

would anybody explain about it... wut is it? n how to do it?

thanx in advance!
A brand new speaker is "stiff" and needs to be literally broken in, making it more dynamic when the speaker pushes the air around.

For example, I just got my VINTAGE 30 IN! Anyway, it will take some playing time to break it in so its mids and treble arent so prominant.

If this doesnt make sense, ask someone else, Im frickin tired.
Basically the more you play through the speaker, the better it sounds. As far as I remember the process, the more you play, the more the paper speaker cone vibrates and thus shifts, sort of making the speaker more (for lack of a better word on my part) "comfortable".The only way to break in a speaker is time, although higher volumes will help accomplish this.

Generally, speakers break in after six months of playing through an amp. To speed up this process you can crank your amp and play for about fifteen minutes - it won't be totally broken in, but will probably sound less sterile than when you bought it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I read somewhere bout somebody playing his CD player into his cab for it to be 'brake in'. can i really do that without damaging the cab??
Quote by had_hc
I read somewhere bout somebody playing his CD player into his cab for it to be 'brake in'. can i really do that without damaging the cab??

Well, you probably could but I wouldn't recommend it. The songs will have frequencies outside of that which a guitar speaker is meant to process (bass, drums, keyboards, for example) and as a result it's putting unnecessary strain on it and would probably decrease speaker life in the long run.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
It makes a big difference especially with a speaker like the Vintage 30 in my combo. Here's a link to a way to break them in quickly from the Celestion website.

http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/features/drdecibel/index.asp - click on "break-in speakers" from the drop-menu.