i don't know nothing about a 7 string guitar, how do guitarist use it and how do guitarist use it in prog metal
i havent actually played one, but i have a few ideas:

artificial divebombs
lower scales for more exotic sounds
more range
easier to play lower without detuning
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.

Play the guitar and see what you like. Listen to Liquid Tension Experiment for ideas.
Exactly the same as you would a 6-string except the additional string is tuned to B (a 4th lower than the low E)
It's often used for heavier music without having to detune and sacrifice the higher notes, plus allows insane 7-string sweeping/scale runs

EDIT: Fixed ^^
ohai little sig.
Last edited by Demonikk at Jan 5, 2009,
Quote by Demonikk
Exactly the same as you would a 6-string except the additional string is tuned to B (a 5th lower than the low E)
It's often used for heavier music without having to detune and sacrifice the higher notes, plus allows insane 7-string sweeping/scale runs

B is a fourth lower than E. It follows the same pattern as all the other intervals.

Generally it just opens up more possibilities. I use mine for plenty of songs that I don't need the extra notes for, just other riffs are easier utilizing all 7 strings.
Quote by isaac_bandits
B is a fourth lower than E. It follows the same pattern as all the other intervals.

Generally it just opens up more possibilities. I use mine for plenty of songs that I don't need the extra notes for, just other riffs are easier utilizing all 7 strings.

My bad, it's 4:30am and I've spent all day tabbing out a Ricky Martin song, it feels like my brain's melted
ohai little sig.
Unless I'm mistaken, B is a 5th below E, and E is a 4th above B.
Quote by Audey
Unless I'm mistaken, B is a 5th below E, and E is a 4th above B.

What?? That makes no sense. B to E is a 4th. E to B is a 5th.
Quote by Avedas
What?? That makes no sense. B to E is a 4th. E to B is a 5th.

That's basically what I said. In the key of E, B is the 5th. And in the key of B, E is the 4th. So the low B is a 5th below E, because were speaking relative to E.

Now, I'm not sure if the naming changes when the note is below the root, which is where I may be mistaken.
Quote by Audey
That's basically what I said. In the key of E, B is the 5th. And in the key of B, E is the 4th. So the low B is a 5th below E, because were speaking relative to E.

Now, I'm not sure if the naming changes when the note is below the root, which is where I may be mistaken.

But we aren't actually talking about tonal centres. B is a fifth above E, and low B is a fourth below (because 4th + 5th = Octave). Low B is still the 5th of E major, but it has been inverted, geddit??
the tuning is b e a d g b e
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
Quote by progmetalhead12
i don't know nothing about a 7 string guitar, how do guitarist use it and how do guitarist use it in prog metal

You get 4 extra notes - that's it.

However, those 4 notes open up an awful lot of possibilities, if you can't see that for yourself then there's no point considering getting one yet.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
A good example of using a seven string guitar would be Dark Eternal Night by Dream Theater.

Ultimately, you want to play it just like a normal guitar, just with a few extra notes to play around with. Don't forget the low string doesn't have to be a B, tune it down to A and the first three strings played open create an A4, which is an inverted D5.
Quote by steven seagull
You get 4 extra notes - that's it.

However, those 4 notes open up an awful lot of possibilities, if you can't see that for yourself then there's no point considering getting one yet.

My 7-string guitar has alot more than 4 more notes.... Sure most of them are notes that could be played on the other 6 strings, but I can play more notes in each position, which just gives me more overall possibilities of how to play things. In most songs I play all the notes could be played if using just a six string, but in every song I use the low B, since it gives me better ways to finger things. There are also some natural harmonics which you can't get from a six string. And the guitar's range is extended by 5 semitones, not four....
^ actually it only adds an extra 5 notes. count them, Eb,D,Db,C,B

it definitely adds a lot more to it, you can do shapes that would normally be very difficult on a standard 6 string.
Quote by theocao
the tuning is b e a d g b e

I'm personally against drop tuning but you can also go {a e a d g b e}
Quote by isaac_bandits
My 7-string guitar has alot more than 4 more notes.... Sure most of them are notes that could be played on the other 6 strings, but I can play more notes in each position, which just gives me more overall possibilities of how to play things. In most songs I play all the notes could be played if using just a six string, but in every song I use the low B, since it gives me better ways to finger things. There are also some natural harmonics which you can't get from a six string. And the guitar's range is extended by 5 semitones, not four....

Schoolboy error on my part, it is indeed an extra 5 notes, but that's all.

Like you said all the others can be played on other strings therefore they're not "extra" notes - you just get more options in terms of how you use those notes. If somebody can't see that for themselves then I can't see why they'd need a 7 string.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Schoolboy error on my part, it is indeed an extra 5 notes, but that's all.

Like you said all the others can be played on other strings therefore they're not "extra" notes - you just get more options in terms of how you use those notes. If somebody can't see that for themselves then I can't see why they'd need a 7 string.

Well either way theres 24 new ways to play a stopped note, whether or note you consider it a new note because its tonally different and in a different spot, or if you call it the same note since its the same pitch. And it has some new useful natural harmonics.
^ I'm afraid there's an accepted definition of note. A trumpet does not play different notes to the guitar because it's timbre is different or it has alternative fingerings (okay, alt fingerings on trumpet do have a small difference in pitch, I mean valves vs. frets).

Threadstarter, listen to Fear Factory, Meshuggah, Dream Theatre, Nevermore, Korn and Steve Vai.
Well as long as we're arguing about something I'll submit another pointless opinion: These "added notes" are just octaves of notes you already had, so by this measure you are adding nothing, so therefore you can see why this idea is silly. My one string guitar is far superior.
Alright Freepower, you've beaten me down. I'll just keep playing my rubber band.
The rubber band is capable of microtonal playing and has slurring flexibility well beyond even the 11 fret guitar.

I have gravely underestimated you, sir. Accept my apologies.
Quote by Freepower
The rubber band is capable of microtonal playing and has slurring flexibility well beyond even the 11 fret guitar.

I have gravely underestimated you, sir. Accept my apologies.

And it has the great advantage of being available to anyone on any kind of budget... I say we all adopt the new trend?
^ i was actually considering using a rubber band on a song (run through some after effects to make it sound weirder) the main issue i ran into was getting a loud enough twang sound for it to be audible without a massive amount of hiss. you really gotta pluck the hell out of it.
My guitarist uses a 7 string tuned AEADGBe, I found that was the best tuning for us so that we could get the low power choreds of our previous drop C/B tunings (and then some), and still be able to play an acoustic(recorded acoustic anyways) intro or another passage with choreds without switching guitars. Its also nice to be in standard when we want to do a cover. It may not be how everyone uses 5/7 strings but it works well for us and saves alot of time.

Ive also been playin around moddin one of my cheapy gaytars to be a 5 string guitar by taking the highest five strings and tuning them an octive up from the 7 string tuning it aeadg. Making it able to play the power chored riffs an octive above the 7 string, im hoping they will sound cool when played together covering 3 octives (bass, 7 string, and 5 string) i dont have a 7 string here right now through to try it. Anyone have any idea how this will sound?
I've been trying to figure out Drop A tuning on a seven-string for the longest time. I can't figure it out. It says AEADGBE, but wouldn't that just drop the lowest string a step. Can anyone help?
Quote by adamcouture
I've been trying to figure out Drop A tuning on a seven-string for the longest time. I can't figure it out. It says AEADGBE, but wouldn't that just drop the lowest string a step. Can anyone help?

Drop A is exactly the same as it would be on a 6 string, just you're getting the high E back and the 3rd interval between the D and F# is raised to a 4th making it D to G instead.

7 string standard BEADGBE
7 string drop A AEADGBE
6 string drop A AEADF#B