Alright so I got some Christmas money left over and I have a $30 guitar center gift card that I want to spend buying pickups for my strat. Like the title states, it's a MIM HSS strat with a maple fretboard. I only have about $100 to spend.

I've been looking at the Fender Lace Sensor pickups and the Texas specials lately but problem is I haven't seen any humbucker lace sensors (and they're about $60 each from what I've seen), not really sure if the Texas specials have humbucker pickups either though. Basically I'd really like your opinion on what type of pickups I should get. I'm really leaning towards the lace sensors but I'm not sure whats the difference between the colors either (blue red gold) so if someone would explain I would be really grateful.

As for tone, I want something warm and not too twangy, more of a bluesy type tone. Thanks everyone

EDIT: Sorry forgot to mention that if you look at my sig, I don't have a really good amp, and I know I'm going to get a lot of comments about the pickups not really mattering if I have a really crappy amp. I can't really do much about my amp right now as I don't have a job (I'm in high school) and I'm not rich or spoiled so I don't get much money; I am graduating this year though so I'm going to hopefully get a new amp as a graduation/birthday present (birthday is a week after graduation) which will definitely improve my tone. Just wanted to clear that up
My Gear

Esteban American Legacy
Fender Standard Strat HSS
Fender Frontman 25W
Boss MT-2
Boss GE-7
Last edited by Razorxx at Jan 5, 2009,
Quote by Skierinanutshel
1) get a job you lazy bum

1) I take AP and honors classes so I'm not lazy, I'm just busy.

holy batman! they do make sets!

:shuts mouth::

lmfao!!!!

Wow thanks mikeyElite that takes care of my bridge pup problem
My Gear

Esteban American Legacy
Fender Frontman 25W
Boss MT-2
Boss GE-7
Well, if you want less of a twangy sound you could think about a low output single coil sized humbucker, though that takes the twang out completely

since you only have $100, which pu's do you spend the most time on? seems to me that since you don't have a decent amp, a small upgrade probably wont make any difference at all... so you should try to get one or two really good pu's... but thats just my opinion
Last edited by HibyPrime at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by HibyPrime
Well, if you want less of a twangy sound you could think about a low output single coil sized humbucker, though that takes the twang out completely

since you only have $100, which pu's do you spend the most time on? seems to me that since you don't have a decent amp, a small upgrade probably wont make any difference at all... so you should try to get one or two really good pu's... but thats just my opinion

I want some twang, just not like the Texas special pups, its too bright for my tastes.
I mostly spend time on my bridge pickups, neck pups next and I hardly use my middle one. Yeah I know it won't make a huge difference in tone because my amp but once I get a new one I'm sure it'll sound hella sweet.
My Gear

Esteban American Legacy
Fender Frontman 25W
Boss MT-2
Boss GE-7
ok so we're starting to narrow it down now What kind of stuff do you play on the bridge? and on the neck?

oh, and it will make a difference, what I meant was if you go from duncan designed to a low end seymour duncan, you probably wont notice anything lol
Quote by Razorxx
1) I take AP and honors classes so I'm not lazy, I'm just busy

So you should be smart enough to use the search functions on this site/google/musicians friend/Harmony Central ?

And being in honors/AP classes doesn't make you not lazy. I had a friend who would of failed regular math make it through Honors math with just a little help. Also I got top marks in HS and still get top marks and I am the laziest in my classes. So it really has no bearing.
Quote by Razorxx
1) I take AP and honors classes so I'm not lazy, I'm just busy.

not to be a bugger, but

1) I took AP and honors classes in high school, along with varsity sports, extracurricular activities, was in a "band", had a girlfriend, and still managed to have a steady income through a job. so, try to find a job that is just on the weekends.
if you are into a rock sort of tone, for a humbucker, I'd suggest the dimarzio super distortion.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Quote by HibyPrime
ok so we're starting to narrow it down now What kind of stuff do you play on the bridge? and on the neck?

oh, and it will make a difference, what I meant was if you go from duncan designed to a low end seymour duncan, you probably wont notice anything lol

on the bridge i usually play lead blues and hard rockish/metalish type stuff (but I'm eventually going to get an Ibanez with seymour duncans for the hard rock/metal stuff so i don't want any pickups specifically for that kind of music)

on the neck i play some rhythm blues and well chord-based songs (though i've started to play some lead stuff on there)

i was thinking about getting a blue/red lace sensor for the bridge (humbucker), wasn't too sure about the other two pups 'cuz i'm not 100% clear about the different tone colors
My Gear

Esteban American Legacy
Fender Frontman 25W
Boss MT-2
Boss GE-7