Ive been playing almost 2 years now and I havent jammed with anyone (other than my guitar teacher) for quite some time. The 2 biggest resons are that I dont know of many people that like the kinda music I do (that arent 40 lol) and the other reason is Im super self consious about my playing (I dont even like playing for family)and I dont feel like Im that good. So what are the benefits of jamming with people? and also if you guys have tips on becoming more confident Id appretiate that too. Thanks guys!
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
playing with other people is undoubtedly really beneficial to playing I jam with a guy I know a couple of times a year and I would prefer to do it every week, it makes a massive impact on not only your ability but also your confidence.

I was lucky in that my friend started guitar at the same time as me and is into reasonably similar things.

Worst comes to worst you could advertise in a magazine or something for people to jam with, also, what kind of music do you play?
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I learned more playing with other people than you could imagine. Does your teacher have a band you could sit in with. I did this a bunch of times with my teacher and I felt like I got more out of that than my lessons.
Gear;
Ibanez AF75
Takamine EG550
Digitech gnx3
Peavey Classic 50
Playing with the right kind of people will help your playing a great deal.
You will improve more in one year of being in a band than three years of playing by yourself.

I played by myself for about four years, started a band a few months ago and it has made drastic changes in my playing and writing.
If you're not into playing with people, and guessing by your post I assume you're not, then get an amp that you can plug your iPod into and play along with your music. It helps you get the timing and makes you learn all the parts of the song. Or just make some beats and play with that.
I don't think you gain that much by jamming out with people, i never did, but since you're playing, that in itself will help you.

If you can't jam out with people then get some backing tracks online, or make them yourself, and jam out with that.

BTW if you're having confidence issues then jamming out will help you, even public readings can help, and well basically anything done in public with help you get that confidence you need.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
I think the biggest plus is that it keeps you motivated.
Wanderlei war wagon.
jamming out with friends will improve your playing.

You have to know how to jam with others don't you?
Well if you plan on gigging ever, its makes sense.

I got over the self confidence thing....eventually i realized no one really cares that much.
Go to the bars, only a few people will even be watching the band playing!
No one cares......its no big deal.
Ive found that playing with other people is probably more beneficial then practicing by yourself.

practicing by yourself is obviously important, in order to built up chops and what not. but playing with other people allows you to see what kinds of things other people are doing, and how they approach playing/writing.

play with other people as much as possible.
Thanks for the feedback guys. Well, I have a real tough time putting a label on the type of music I play but Ill try for you... Mostly clean (so no heavy metal), id say jazz/blues type stuff? My biggest influences are the Allman bros., The Grateful Dead and Rory Gallagher (none of which I sound like). And yes I realize the irony of me asking about jamming being helpful and my 2 fave bands are the dead and allmans lol.
The only problem is, when I first started i had a bud that played drums (which he gave up) and another bud who had been playing longer than us buut he likes metal (nu-metal type stuff which i cant stand). And the only other guys around are guys im not really buds with and they like different stuff too. The posting a add is a good idea but then the whole confidence thing comes into play. And no my teacher doesnt have a band. What I was thinking is just waiting it out, because you here all the time about "awkward teenage years" and how ppl are alot less self consious after. And also Im going to college next year (hopefully) so Ill be meeting new ppl anyways.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
As long as the people you're playing with don't suck.

Lawl.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by allislost

If you can't jam out with people then get some backing tracks online, or make them yourself, and jam out with that.

+1. This is so beneficial. You build an awareness of the music going on around you rather than just what you are playing yourself, and learn things like where to emphasise based on the moments in the backing track, learn skills like listening for cues, and so on. Not to mention the enjoyment factor is x10!