Poll: Is Coldplay guilty of plagiarizing Joe Satriani's song If I Could Fly?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is Coldplay guilty of plagiarizing Joe Satriani's song If I Could Fly?
Just similarities Coldplay is innocent
19 28%
To close to be coincidence Coldplay is guilty and untalented!
49 72%
Voters: 68.
What do you think of Coldplays song Viva La Vida and its smilarities to Joe Satrianis song If I Could Fly.
1) Just Similarities Coldplays innocent of plagiarism
2) Way to close to be coincidence Coldplay is guilty!
I don't know it's a really debatable situation I hate Coldplay so I want to say they did but when you look at it there really isn't enough evidence to say it was although it's also hard to just say it's all a coincidence.
i voted because it said untalented
(\/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") ExtremeMetalFTW donated these ears
Notice something wrong? Yea, me too
| |
[ ]
The whole thing is just ridiculous. Anyone could have made the mistake, when your bands been around for over 10 years, you're going to pull some notes that someone else has done too. Especially in that chord progression, where the notes just fit right over. If the melody and chord progression was actually quite inventive then it would be another story.

What are people going to do next, compare all the songs with I V VI IV and the same cheap melody that all those pop punk bands use?
Last edited by ChrisBG at Jan 5, 2009,
I'm pretty sure that I heard a some French song that sounded like both of these songs...and I think it came out before either of these songs.I don't remember the name.

The point is,i think it's a concidence.
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
The chord progression is fair enough, you can't sue someone over that as no-one can honestly say they have written a song which is entirely original, as there are only a certain number of combinations that work.

However, then I heard the melody. What Chris Martin sings is 99% identical to the guitar line Satch plays, bar one or two little trills. If it was that alone, then that would be different, but it's the fact that it's at the same tempo, has the same melody AND the same chord progression that means it would have to be some massive coincidence, which I just don't believe

I might be slightly biased due to thinking that Coldplay are one of the most pretentious, boring and over-rated bands ever to walk this earth, but I defy you to listen to the choruses of the two songs played back to back and say there is no similarity
Quote by Jmz123
The chord progression is fair enough, you can't sue someone over that as no-one can honestly say they have written a song which is entirely original, as there are only a certain number of combinations that work.

However, then I heard the melody. What Chris Martin sings is 99% identical to the guitar line Satch plays, bar one or two little trills. If it was that alone, then that would be different, but it's the fact that it's at the same tempo, has the same melody AND the same chord progression that means it would have to be some massive coincidence, which I just don't believe

I might be slightly biased due to thinking that Coldplay are one of the most pretentious, boring and over-rated bands ever to walk this earth, but I defy you to listen to the choruses of the two songs played back to back and say there is no similarity

I have a point against your second paragraph.
When I first played guitar, I was messing around with power chords, just for fun. I played one power chord, then a few others. I thought, hey this sounds really cool! I played it again, fine tuned it, got rhythm, tempo, and pitch just the way I wanted. I played it for my sister, and she said, "Wow, you can play Smoke on the Water!".
I had never heard the song, and I came up with the exact same riff. Same pitch, same speed, same everything.
Some notes just sound better when played a certain tempo after another. I think Coldplay's innocent, and this lawsuit has made me lose respect for Satch.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
I have a point against your second paragraph.
When I first played guitar, I was messing around with power chords, just for fun. I played one power chord, then a few others. I thought, hey this sounds really cool! I played it again, fine tuned it, got rhythm, tempo, and pitch just the way I wanted. I played it for my sister, and she said, "Wow, you can play Smoke on the Water!".
I had never heard the song, and I came up with the exact same riff. Same pitch, same speed, same everything.
Some notes just sound better when played a certain tempo after another. I think Coldplay's innocent, and this lawsuit has made me lose respect for Satch.

Never heard smoke on the water?....I think it must have been a subliminal thing.
I haven't heard a lot of songs. I've never heard the full Back in Black, I've never heard Crazy Train (Just people playing it). Its weird. I think I was sheltered as a kid. :O
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Joe Satriani
Everybody assumes I'm trying to go after these guys in Coldplay, as if I'm doing this with malice, that's the furthest thing from my mind. I'm just doing what I need to do as an artist, to protect what's mine, to protect those feelings I put down in song.

I did everything I could to avoid a court case with this situation. But Coldplay didn't want to talk about it. They just wanted this whole thing to go away. Maybe they figured this little guitar player guy will leave them alone after a while, I don't know. But we're talking about a piece of art that I created, and that's something I feel is important. I think everybody should feel that way

If Coldplay had just said, "ok, we'll talk", this most likely would have been settled out of court and no one would have heard about it. It's their fault that they'll most likely get ripped apart in court.

Source http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/joe-satriani-speaks-about-coldplay-lawsuit-185914