The worst thing happened today. My bassist abruptly quit. He said to me, that he thought we were going to seriously and he didn't feel it anymore.
...What?!

My bassist just smack dab without warning quits on me, which effing SUCKS because he is one of the only guys I know round here who can play bass with high technical efficiancy and has a very loud powerful (john entwistl-ish) attack. Now I'm ****ed
we were due to record demos this coming FRIDAY and we just had a good gig on SATURDAY.
AGGGH

Should the drummer and I still do the demos with me on the bass until we can find a new guy? (IF WE EVER FIND A NEW GUY!)

What the hell do I do. I put my heart and soul into this band and now it abruptly shakes from the foundation! what do I do Bandleading thread
It seems you don't really have a choice but to do bass yourself. Make sure you use Kijiji or Craigslist to search for someone if you haven't done so yet.
First of all, calm down. This happens all the time. My old band went through half a dozen bassists in 2 years. Yeah, that's right. 6 bassists.
Now, if you have studio time booked, see if he'll come in and lay down some tracks. There's no reason this split can't be amicable. Tell him it's the last thing you'll ever ask of him.
Then find a new bassist. It doesn't have to be a friend. Go on craigslist and put up an ad.
Last edited by koslack at Jan 6, 2009,
We finally find the right bassist, we've been together for a year... God it's so hard to find good musicians who do what we need in this ****ty little town. Any support is appreciated
Ask him if he can do the recording and show before he leaves. Tell him how rude it was that he just unexpected left when he knew a recording session and a show were coming up. He might feel bad about it and do it.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Ask him to do this professionally and finish making the demos and things that are planned and tell him to see if he is then ready to leave or stay.

If that doesn't work out then you try the same thing again.

And if he just totally refuses, then you gotta do the bass guitar for recordings.
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
These ^.

On the other hand, be thankful that he was honest with you and quit rather than stringing you guys along, all the while being non-commital, randomly not showing up for rehearsals, etc. leading you to be one of those guys posting a "what should I do" thread.

He was straight with you, and professional enough to know when the time to go was.... almost.

This is the kind of person who may well recognize that the right thing to do is to finish the recordings and finish any already committed shows.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Thankfully we have no shows left, but the thing is, i'll probably end up playing his basslines anyway do to his inability to attain transportation.
that's harsh man. I've had people quit bands on me before, but not mere days before we were supposed to record. if anything, people get frustrated WHILE recording and then quit. Anyways, most of the best advice has been said already...

you can ask him to do the demos with no further obligation, just to help you out

you can search the internet and local music rags for a new bassist

you would do well to learn the basslines this week in case you have to record them yourself.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Thankfully we have no shows left, but the thing is, i'll probably end up playing his basslines anyway do to his inability to attain transportation.

Shame that.
Personaly, I always like to turn a disadvantage, like a member leaving the band, into an advantage, by playing a well promoted farewell gig.
A good farewell gig should have a party atmosphere and be lots of fun to play, it ensures that you part ways amicably and remain friends.... and it's also a pretty good way to advertise that you need a new bass player.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Shame that.
Personaly, I always like to turn a disadvantage, like a member leaving the band, into an advantage, by playing a well promoted farewell gig.
A good farewell gig should have a party atmosphere and be lots of fun to play, it ensures that you part ways amicably and remain friends.... and it's also a pretty good way to advertise that you need a new bass player.

I don't think he wants to do one of them . I've gotta organize my ass and get a new bassist by the end of the month. The sad thing is, we would have been together as a 3 piece for a whole YEAR come the 30th, and we've written 11 songs and one 7 part epic. It's ****ing unbelievable. Oh well, I guess I'll do some networking with some bands at an upcoming gig of my friend's band to see if they know anyone.

I want to find the right bassist. I know some good bassists, but some just ain't got the attitude I'm looking for, they don't have the force or the fire that I need. (come to think of it, neither did the old guy.) I really am looking for- A steve harris style player with lemmy's tone and a butload of stage crazyiness.
If you know what you want, don't settle until you find the right guy. It can take a while (hell, it took me 2 years to find the right band for me), but it pays off in the end.
The good news is that in the year you've been playing with him and getting all these tunes down, and presumably doing shows, you've met people and have established yourselves among those who are around. A potential bass player will choose YOU before some other bunch of nobodies that don't have anything going on.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Good news my people! I have located a replacement ( You were right about the whole reputation thing). You are who you attract as my mom always said. We found a new guy, family friend, very musically driven, loves playing (he's an acoustic guitarist most of the time due to his semi-crap electric, but he has brilliant rhythm and expressed great interest in playing bass). He knows alot about the business, and he can drive (THANK GOD!) and he is 21 so he can sneak us punks into bars . Thing is, he might not be an uber bassist, but he can play decent, what's more important is HIS MIND is in the right place for what I need. Too many kids, they ain't got drive and see it as a hobby you know?

Thanks for the support gang
Awesome!

CT

Quote by Highwaytohell
Good news my people! I have located a replacement ( You were right about the whole reputation thing). You are who you attract as my mom always said. We found a new guy, family friend, very musically driven, loves playing (he's an acoustic guitarist most of the time due to his semi-crap electric, but he has brilliant rhythm and expressed great interest in playing bass). He knows alot about the business, and he can drive (THANK GOD!) and he is 21 so he can sneak us punks into bars . Thing is, he might not be an uber bassist, but he can play decent, what's more important is HIS MIND is in the right place for what I need. Too many kids, they ain't got drive and see it as a hobby you know?

Thanks for the support gang

Congratulations bud. Now that sounds like a step in the right direction. I bet you're almost glad the other guy's leaving now eh?
Quote by AwesomeDrummer
now you can go write a song about it

I'll start you off.

Well our bassist left coz he was havin' no fun,
But I know this guy who knows my mum.
He ain't got a bass but we'll go far,
Because the guy owns a motorcar.
He may not be an uber bassist,
But his head's screwed on and he ain't no racist.

What? So how many words do you know that rhyme with 'bassist'?
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jan 8, 2009,
Try
The bass left the face of the sound
and into the heart we'd eternally drown
until the sacred warrior finally deployed
and with a ride and a heart we than brought The NOISE!

Power metal !
Quote by Highwaytohell
Try

Power metal !

wish i could find a decent band

lol, i actually cant think if anything to rhyme with bassist other than racist..
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Rhymes with bassist?

Jizz
Racist
Pissed
Missed
Kiss

Wait, what?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
When the bassist left, I was petrified
Didn't think that I could record without him by my side
Then I made a thread on the UG forum
I grew strong
I found out my mum got along
With a guy
Who played guitar
He didn't play bass normally but I saw a star
I didn't have to change the songs, I didn't have to change the key
And I knew at that second he was the new bassist for me
I will survive!
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I grew strong
With a guy
Who played guitar
I will survive!

Winner!
Quote by AlanHB
I grew strong
With a guy
Who played guitar
I will survive!

First thing I thought when singing that was 'American Pie'!
Quote by AlanHB
I grew strong
With a guy
Who played guitar
I will survive!

Absolute win!!
Quote by Highwaytohell
Try

Power metal !

There is no reference to flames or dragons, ergo not Power Metal.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Quote by shadesofanger
There is no reference to flames or dragons, ergo not Power Metal.

WE carry on finding a new bassist!
Through the riffage and the carpal tunnel pains!