Hey, I've recently decided to defret my old ibanez gsr200 as the first of several mods. Any tips or things to look out for?
Quote by reaper_x
DEFRET IBANEZ?

:l

Hey. Who knows. could turn out nice. Never seen a fretless ibanez. might get an interesting tone.

TS, Be careful not to chip the fretboard while getting the frets out.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Okay.
First, Holy Crap
Second, breath.

There is a fair amount of work in dealing with de-fretting your own bass.
I don't know the specifics because I haven't tried myslef.
But it definitely involves removing th frets (duh) with some kind of tool thing (carefully).

Then there is a whole bunch of crap involved in treating and finishing the fingerboard.
Like you have to fill in the holes where the frets used to be.
Then lay some kind of finish or something on top of it

Then string your baby with some flats.

Remember, just be extremely careful if you don't want to **** anything up.
If you have any more questions I would go to the gear customizing thread.

Or Google it.

Love the Low end
Quote by Revelation
Hey. Who knows. could turn out nice. Never seen a fretless ibanez. might get an interesting tone.

TS, Be careful not to chip the fretboard while getting the frets out.

mine is. it sounds very nice.

with enough wood filler, you can remedy the chips- it's still better not to worry, but do not despair.

carefully remove the frets with pliers, then, fill in the holes with a quality wood filler. then, use a clear polyurethane finish to put a few layers of hardness on, or you may be able to use a quality tung oil.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
When I defretted my bass I used a small chisel to pry off the frets and then filled the slots with wood filler.

I tried to use a few types of pliers to put the frets off but the frets were too flat to get a grip which is why I went for the chisel.
When removing the frets just take your time and be gentle, you don’t want to rip chucks out of the fret board.

When it comes to filling the slots you could stick in a thin strip of wood or plastic or something similar and then sand it flush to fret board.
Or you can fill the gaps with filler. When using filler fill the slots in a few layers. This way it will fill in the whole slot and not just a bit at the top. You can over fill the slots and then sand flush when it dries.

I didn’t finish my fret board and it is still going strong. Though I am using flat wounds so that would help.
The link in my sig has some progress pics of my defretting which may help.
If you choose not to finish the fretboard you should definitely use flatwound strings. Roundwounds will eat at you fret board bad.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Thanks for the advice guys, I have all the tools ready, and Im going to start pulling these babies out this afternoon
I also defretted my own bass 4 years back. I used a small chisel and also filled them with wood glue, then sanded it all flat. DON'T use a sanding block or power sander, you want to keep the natural curve of the neck. I rolled the sand paper over and used my fingers to sand along the grain (long way) and do it all in even strokes. If you did, say, 20 passes at the bottom of the neck, do 20 with the same pressure at the top.
Make sure you don't chip the neck, I did, and it is noticable. Maybe a nail setter and hitting the frets up out of the neck with a hammer.
My friend defretted his bass a few months after with my help and we managed to take the frets out without any damage to the frets (maybe a bend but that can be fixed) and then used a clamp to hold the fret right under the bulb of the fret and took it off and put the frets back in. So the only thing showing was the line of fret in the neck and with another pass at sanding it was smooth with the neck. That way you can see where the frets once were (very important).

If you have Mother of Pearl inlays like I do, don't keep the stain on them too long or it'll tint them a bit.
Yeah, defretting an Ibanez is so un-guitar like, which alienates the vast majority of Ibanez's bass playing clientelle

But they do make the Gary Willis sig.

Anyway, make sure you heat up the frets significantly before pulling them out vertically. And start in a corner. And take your time.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Yeah, defretting an Ibanez is so un-guitar like, which alienates the vast majority of Ibanez's bass playing clientelle

But they do make the Gary Willis sig.

Anyway, make sure you heat up the frets significantly before pulling them out vertically. And start in a corner. And take your time.

Make? Psssht... that thign is crafted by angels. Best thing Ibanez has ever done. I just wish I could afford one, but I'm making a f*cking huge purchase on Thursday and won't have the money
Isn't there a budget one?

And to be honest, the $5000 one seems like it has the price determined on the people that made the instrument, not it's features. In that price range I'd consider Pedulla or something crazy like that.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
haha I know it sounds weird to defret an ibanez, but I dont want to lay one finger on my beautiful little traben. And I did heat the frets up (with a hair dryer ) but it worked. The frets came out beautifully with only one case of chip out, but its nothing a little sanding wont fix.
if you really wanna look cool, try putting a poly or oil based paint job over the fretboard before you finish it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
and color the fretboard? I'll look at my hardware shop and see if they sell anything that would work
im going to do this too. But in woodshop. If my teacher lets me. =/. Good luck